tima's DIY RCM

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Can I just say first of all say thanks for the superb thread - really helpful, and puts me in the right direction for my own project. I just need to source pump parts in the UK.

That aside can i just ask this as it flows from a vacuum demonstration many years ago. That demo was by a guy in the 80's who visited our home from KIRBY. The machines cost about £1000 in the early/mid 80's. I digress. What he did say, and demonstrate was that before you wet clean a carpet, you need to vacuum out the initial dirt as otherwise any liquid turns to mud. Whenever i do a house clean I vacuum the floor before using a mop.

Vis a Vis

With record cleaning have you tried a dry method to initially remove the dirt, or considered something - even something simple like a latice grid that does not touch the actual viyl surace that allows you to vaccuum the record first before any wet process.

On another note does an 80KHz bath make a reeal differrence?

The guy at Kirmuss did an interesting demo about the stuff on a record post manufacture - does the USM deal with this??

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Can I just say first of all say thanks for the superb thread - really helpful, and puts me in the right direction for my own project. I just need to source pump parts in the UK.

That aside can i just ask this as it flows from a vacuum demonstration many years ago. That demo was by a guy in the 80's who visited our home from KIRBY. The machines cost about £1000 in the early/mid 80's. I digress. What he did say, and demonstrate was that before you wet clean a carpet, you need to vacuum out the initial dirt as otherwise any liquid turns to mud. Whenever i do a house clean I vacuum the floor before using a mop.

Vis a Vis

With record cleaning have you tried a dry method to initially remove the dirt, or considered something - even something simple like a latice grid that does not touch the actual viyl surace that allows you to vaccuum the record first before any wet process.

On another note does an 80KHz bath make a reeal differrence?

The guy at Kirmuss did an interesting demo about the stuff on a record post manufacture - does the USM deal with this??

Hi Loheswaran

I'm glad you are enjoying this thread. It features a lot of good discussion on record cleaning with an orientation towards the DIY system described in the opening post. I'll to touch on your topics:

Vacuuming a record before wet cleaning - Across the various audio forums and publications on record cleaning I've not read about anyone doing this or heard of any RCMs that offer a pre-clean vacuum feature. It would require a vacuum that, as you suggest, does not touch the record. The dirt on the record would need to be loose. It's unclear if that would gain much versus many of the techniques adopted thus far that are aimed at removing both loose particulate and those adhering to the vinyl.

For "super dirty" records, a two stage process is possible if you have both a horizontal oriented vacuum machine such as a VPI or Loricraft and a vertical ultrasonic tank. Apply a sufactant solution, gently agitate it with something like a nylon brush then use the vaccum machine to remove the solution. Then do a pure water rinse and vacuum. Then proceed to ultrasonic cleaning.

USC Frequency - there's plenty of discussion on this topic. Operating frequency influences cleaning effectiveness. The higher the cavitation frequency the smaller the ultrasonic bubbles, the less the implosive power of their vacuum as it strikes the record surface. Removal of smaller particles not visible to the naked eye can require smaller bubbles which also may reach deeper into the groove. General opinion here suggests an operating frequency between 80kHz to 120kHz.

However higher frequencies are not as effective removing larger particles or heavier substances such as grease or oil, or substances such as mold and tobacco type contaminents. Here, lower frequency cavitation in the 35kHz - 40kHz range is warranted.

Imo a dual frequency USC machine is better. The P-Series from Elmasonic is an example; it can operate at 37kHz or 80kHz. It also has a mode that alternates between each frequency every few seconds. Imo the primary flaw of the single record Degritter desktop machine is that it operates soley at 120kHz.

Record composition post manufacture - vinyl record composition is proprietary to each manufacturer, so it's not easy to know what is in or on a specific new record fresh out of its sleeve. Dibasic lead stearate or cadmium or other esters of stearic acid (for example) make up as much as 2 percent of the vinyl compound. These additives provide thermal buffering for the vinyl during pressing, aid the platter’s release from the mold and prevent oxidation on the newly minted record. Mold-release agents, lubricants, plasticizers and anti-static additives can be on the record surface. Function served, some of these turn into foreign substances between stylus and groove, where they remain and attract dirt. Chemical analyses of 50-year-old used records reveals mold-release agent still in the groove.

Cleaning with an ultrasonic machine can remove some of the above. It's actually a fairly complex chemistry subject (or approaches the boundaries of my knowledge) and cleaning depends in part on the chemicals, composition and exposure time in the cleaning solution. I tend toward asking myself does the record sound clean when you play it. Hope some of this helps. Thanks for your interest.

tima

Reactions: Loheswaran

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Dear Tima

If you were to tell me the various chemicals used post manufacture, i know a few 'chemists' who know their onions - maybe they can suggest something that i readily available. I am happy to contribute to this.

BTW i am going to rig up a USM within thee next month or two. A chat with Wyndham at Expert Stylus in the UK confirms that I am going the right way with going straight to USM as opposed to a vacuum pump and brush method.

I just can't see the point on expensive cartridges with small styli that you don't take care of.

That aside - and being a bit OCD - do you check your styli with a magnifier? if so can you recommend me one

thanks

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Imo a dual frequency USC machine is better. The P-Series from Elmasonic is an example; it can operate at 37kHz or 80kHz. It also has a mode that alternates between each frequency every few seconds.

Tim, I assume you are referring to sweep mode? I thought in sweep mode the frequency changes slightly around the selected frequency. For example, if you select 37 kHz, in sweep mode it may alternate from 34-40 kHz, not all the way up to 80 kHz. Or maybe I have it wrong.

Reactions: tima

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Tima you were asking about what I use. I'll try to take a pic later if possible but I just got this to go with the ultrasonic 6L cleaner. (I'm not embarrassed to show it, like my DIY version)

And then post I vacuum with this, it's superior to the lengthy time it takes with small nozzle ones. You just need to wet the record (with anti static component if you used alcohol in the ultrasonic) and suck it dry to remove anything that settled after the ultrasonic. You also don't have to cycle the ultrasonic water or filter it constantly if you do this.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, I assume you are referring to sweep mode? I thought in sweep mode the frequency changes slightly around the selected frequency. For example, if you select 37 kHz, in sweep mode it may alternate from 34-40 kHz, not all the way up to 80 kHz. Or maybe I have it wrong.

Hi David - Yes, you describe Sweep mode and that's my understanding of it as well.

When I said the Elmasonic P-series "also has a mode that alternates between each frequency every few seconds" I was not referring to Sweep mode, but a different operation that Elma describes but does not give a name. In the P120h manual in the section labeled "Short overview of operating and display functions", second to last item is "switch on automatic frequency change mode" whose operation is "ultrasonic frequency changes between 37kHz and 80kHz at 30 second intervals."

When that mode is On, an asterisk appears next to the frequency display.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I've read lots of claims about the different frequencies. But consider that 40khz is 40mm, 80khz 20mm, 120khz 13.3mm.... They're all over 1cm so I just honestly doubt it really matters. The only thing consistent between them is that records sound very clean afterwards compared to before. I'd guess that the higher frequencies just generation less cativation. The true benefit might be which ever is the least annoying to listen to.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi David - Yes, you describe Sweep mode and that's my understanding of it as well.

When I said the Elmasonic P-series "also has a mode that alternates between each frequency every few seconds" I was not referring to Sweep mode, but a different operation that Elma describes but does not give a name. In the P120h manual in the section labeled "Short overview of operating and display functions", second to last item is "switch on automatic frequency change mode" whose operation is "ultrasonic frequency changes between 37kHz and 80kHz at 30 second intervals."

When that mode is On, an asterisk appears next to the frequency display.

I see. Do you use that mode? I clean for 15 minutes at 37 kHz and then 10 at 80 kHz. No scientific reason for that.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Dear Tima

If you were to tell me the various chemicals used post manufacture, i know a few 'chemists' who know their onions - maybe they can suggest something that i readily available. I am happy to contribute to this.

I just can't see the point on expensive cartridges with small styli that you don't take care of.

That aside - and being a bit OCD - do you check your styli with a magnifier? if so can you recommend me one

thanks

I don't know about chemicals used post manufacture, not sure there are any. What was mentioned in my post #82 was about the composition of the vinyl itself, ie. various ingredients added to PVC pellets to make up the 'biscuit' stamped into a record. I am not an expert on this subject. Suggest looking at Section X 'Discussion of Material Compatibility' in Neil Antin's paper Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records. You can download a.pdf copy at that link.

Yes, I do check my stylus with a magnifier after every side - its a quirky habit. I use a bright LED light and a 20x loupe mounted on a stand.

LOUPE On A STAND.jpg

I bought this on eBay in 2003. I don't have a manufacturer. Any glass 20X jewelers triplet should do.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
And how often do you find something to note on the stylus?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Sorry if I missed this. Have any of you used Triton X114 as a surfactant. Do you find it washes away or remains. I make a mix with 99% alcohol, distilled water and Triton x114.

Also, anyone get lazy and buy a Cleaner Vinyl setup. I was thinking of getting at a minimum the motor and spindle. Maybe make my own.35 filter and pump. Theirs only goes to 1 micron. I would dry on a rack ro free up the machine for the next bath
Rex

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Should have also asked. Is the P60 the same power of cleaning as the P120 when you consider tank size.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sorry if I missed this. Have any of you used Triton X114 as a surfactant. Do you find it washes away or remains. I make a mix with 99% alcohol, distilled water and Triton x114.

Also, anyone get lazy and buy a Cleaner Vinyl setup. I was thinking of getting at a minimum the motor and spindle. Maybe make my own.35 filter and pump. Theirs only goes to 1 micron. I would dry on a rack ro free up the machine for the next bath
Rex

I use Triton X100 and it clears out. It breaks the water tension and grabs dirt/grim. But it doesn't separate from the water once mixed well; it doesn't have any sort of bubbling agents etc like dishsoap. What does leave a residue is Photoflo. Surfracants are smart to use on things other than the prebuilt units since they may leak.

But I still do a pure water rinse on the vacuum to make sure any re-rested debris is gone.

I considered Cleaner vinyl but I like the one I got more as it protects labels better and is easy mount/dismount. Also I don't need the fan because the vacuum is better for drying and final debris removal.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Folsom, remind me what motor you use the hold and spin the records. Thanks

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Folsom, remind me what motor you use the hold and spin the records. Thanks

Link

The LP holding system is magnetic to the motor. You get two of them, and you can get ones that hold more LP's than 3x. You can also buy more I think. So you can really go through a bunch of LP's pretty quickly. If you vacuum afterwards like me then it's pretty slick as you don't have to vacuum right away, and however you set the LP's aside the labels won't get wet.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What is the rack tima and others use. I don't see a link or brand. Is it home made.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing