tima's DIY RCM

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
However the problem then is that IPA causes static. So when you do a rinse and vacuum you can use pure water and in my case I use a touch of hepistat

Hepistat has a fairly high particulate count and can leave residue on a record. Check it with a TDS meter alone on in solution.

Do you have any reference that IPA causes static on a vinyl record? (Besides people talking about it in a audio forum.)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yours is the only report on this I've seen. What concentration percentage do you associate with the effect?

When I only use to vacuum clean before ultrasonic I used about 40%, and had to start doing a rinse because of the static. It was clear that it is a source of static, as the less overall amount of IPA that touched the record the less static I had.

With the ultrasonic I just dump in half a bottle (right now since you can't buy any in the store it seems). I'd probably put in a full bottle for 6L-ish if it weren't for the problem getting it.

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
Would one of you Masters of The Art consider making one and selling it to a customer in the USA? Or a kit?

I am still reading through the thread but if someone has a US kit I would be interested exploring the option. I am located in Princeton, NJ area.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
No. It's a basic sediment filter - a piece of foam. I'm not one to care to run TDS meters; I just go by ear on this.

Sure, I adopt what I call the Ellington Principle: If it sounds clean it is clean.
TDS meters test water for nonionic dissolved solids.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Degritter seems to pause cleaning and attempt to cool the water with fans when the temp hits around 32C (?). Thereabouts.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What temperature do you guys like to run at?

Cavitation will increase solution temperature over time. I set the temperature on my Elma P120H based on the max temperature I want to reach. I like to see 30°-33° C and never more than 35°C.
You do know that IPA has highly flammable vapor, so with as much of that as you use I'd stay under 30°C.

Degritter seems to pause cleaning and attempt to cool the water with fans when the temp hits around 32C (?).

That makes sense to me. The machine is well designed far as I can tell. Apart from one record at a time, my only real issue with it is the 120kHz.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I only use a half a bottle for 6L. I've been afraid to pump up the heat anyways but think a little bit more might be useful.

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
Thank you @tima for starting the thread and everyone who has contributed so far. I finally finished reading the thread and the original blog posts and here is the part list that I think I need to order. Please let me know if I should stay the listed USC itself or if I should get the 6L one

10L Ultra Sonic Cleaner - $189
1-5 Record Bracket spinner $180 or Vinylstack 3 - $240
Pentek 158116 - $20
.35 Micron Pleated Filters - $30 (4-pack)
Little Giant 1-AA-OM In-Line Pump - $92

How critical is the to get the USC with adjustable power listed by @tima from Beijing Ultrasonic?

PS: I am being a bit lazy and looking to order stuff via Amazon instead of looking for alternate cheaper options.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thank you @tima for starting the thread and everyone who has contributed so far. I finally finished reading the thread and the original blog posts and here is the part list that I think I need to order. Please let me know if I should stay the listed USC itself or if I should get the 6L one

10L Ultra Sonic Cleaner - $189
1-5 Record Bracket spinner $180 or Vinylstack 3 - $240
Pentek 158116 - $20
.35 Micron Pleated Filters - $30 (4-pack)
Little Giant 1-AA-OM In-Line Pump - $92

How critical is the to get the USC with adjustable power listed by @tima from Beijing Ultrasonic?

PS: I am being a bit lazy and looking to order stuff via Amazon instead of looking for alternate cheaper options.

Thank you shadowlight.

For better cleaning you'll want a bare minimum of 1" between records and between records and the walls of the tank. Actually 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" is better.

I'm not familiar with the Seeutek line of ultrasonic tanks that you point to on Amazon so I cannot speak to that brand. Given that, I'd go with the 10L model because it offers 240W power and 9.3" width tank versus the 180W and 5.9" width of the 6L.

Likewise I'm not familiar with the WEWU rotisserie. The picture of the WEWU on Amazon shows five records pretty close together - i can't tell the spacing but they look close. I'd try to find out if they have optional spacers to spread the records a bit further apart. Or maybe you could make spacers - all you'd need is something plastic (maybe cut up a plastic cutting board) that you drill a hole through. Just thinking out loud here - seeing the actual WEWU you would know better.

The WEWU ad on Amazon is a bit sketchy in my view. It says "NO HEATING, Heating is forbidden, it hurts the records." That is false. It likewise suggest using a wetting agent. That is a good idea but do not use Kodak PhotoFlo as the ad suggests.

I think 240W is okay as is, so you don't need adjustable power. Wrt Beijing Ultrasonic tanks - that was my first tank and it worked fine for 9 months until the adjustable power function started failing. As noted in my third article on The Vinyl Press, I no longer recommend that brand. It may work fine and maybe the issue with mine was a one off, but I don't suggest it anymore. In terms of ultrasonic tanks, which have many uses besides cleaning records, you probably get what you pay for. For starting out I think your choices will get you cleaner records.

Have fun assembling your own DIY system!

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
The USC, Pentek, filters and in-line pump ordered. Need to make a decision on WEWU record holder or the Vinyl Stack. The stack is more user friendly where I can let 4 records dry while another 4 are getting cleaned v/s pulling all the records off WEWU putting it in a rack to air dry.

Ordered the pump from - https://www.energyconscious.com/little-giant-1-aa-om-115v-12.html
Added Ilford Ilfotol via Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6ND/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are either of the distilled water from Wholefoods (came across it on Amazon) - https://products.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/365-everyday-value-distilled-water-b9d36f or the one from CVS - https://www.cvs.com/shop/gold-emblem-distilled-water-128-oz-prodid-1190732 is good enough?

The only thing missing now is the tubing, which I will go pickup from home depot. Hope to start cleaning records by July 4th time frame.

Thank You

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing