• Mitt Romney

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the 3rd largest reserve of Oil in the world......won't you be our friend? ;)

We have the 3rd largest reserve of Oil in the world......won't you be our friend? ;)
First, we have to start a coup, then replace your government with somebody corrupt who we 'like,' then there will eventually be an uprising, and we will bomb you. After that, we will pour billions into reconstruction of your country, but most of the money will go to warlords and despots. It's the American way.. :)*

*Cynicism disclaimer

First, we have to start a coup, then replace your government with somebody corrupt who we 'like,' then there will eventually be an uprising, and we will bomb you. After that, we will pour billions into reconstruction of your country, but most of the money will go to warlords and despots. It's the American way.. :)*

*Cynicism disclaimer

Been reading up on Noam Chomsky?

*Cynicism disclaimer

A coup is easy.....our PM Harper will gladly give you some insights.

*Cynicism disclaimer

---- Wow Bill, you remember very well your history. :D

As an outsider I think that both candidates have failed to fire up the masses with a platform they can get behind. Personally I don't think it's going to make a whole lot of difference for the American people as it'll mean 4 more years of the status quo. Neither Obama or Romney are going to address the (expletive)-up that is Wall Street, and those with their hands in the pie.

While I think that the U.S is a great nation it has lost its ability to lead by example. It is now only a forefront for corporate wishes. Be damned "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.".

Get back to your roots!

Let's see how close we are to the popular vote...opps I typo'd the pres. It's BARACK, sorry Mr. President.

-- This is what I fully support right from the beginning. ...Peter's idea.
And everyone here is behaving perfectly; not bad at all for a 'political race' thread. :b

I know many other places where not even ten posts would have made it!

Like I said before :): http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2012/11/04/election-year-stock-rally/1677947/

"A post-election stock rally is in the cards

No matter who wins the White House on Nov. 6, history says a late-year stock rally is likely as uncertainty fades and investors get a better sense of what policies will impact businesses and economic growth.

8:23PM EST November 4. 2012 - Investors worried about the tight race for the White House should relax.

History shows that during presidential election years, November and December tend to be bullish months for stocks.

Stocks in the Standard & Poor's 500 index have risen 0.9%, on average, in November during election years dating back to 1928, according to data compiled for USA TODAY by Bespoke Investment Group. December has delivered even bigger gift-wrapped gains, with an average rise of 1.7%, ranking it No. 1 of all 12 months in years voters go to the polls to vote for president.

Paul Hickey, co-founder of Bespoke, predicts stocks will close out this year on a positive note.

"We would expect … the market to rally following Election Day as some of the uncertainty from the market is lifted and the poor third-quarter earnings are digested," he says. Corporate earnings, of course, have been so-so, with only 62% of companies in the S&P 500 that have reported topping forecasts, in line with historical trends, Thomson Reuters data show. But only 39% of companies have beat expectations on revenue and sales, which suggest demand for goods and services in the economy remains tepid.

Wall Street hopes that once the next president is known, whether it be a second term for President Obama or a first term for Republican challenger Mitt Romney, many unanswered policy questions related to taxes, Wall Street regulation and health care will have more clear-cut answers.

Investors also say they will most likely have a better idea after the election if a grand bargain will be hatched between Democrats and Republicans in Congress to resolve the so-called "fiscal cliff." The cliff is a potential growth-stunting mix of tax hikes and government spending cuts that could occur Jan. 1 unless Congress acts to avert it.

"The U.S. presidential election should dominate the headlines" this week, Lewis Alexander, U.S. chief economist at Nomura, said in a client note titled, Hail to the chief.

The stock market's ups and downs this year have closely tracked the peaks and valleys normally associated with the fourth and final year of the so-called "presidential stock market cycle," Hickey says. There's typically an early-year rally, a spring setback, a summer rebound and another pullback in the fall, which normally sets the stage for a post-election rally.

Comparing stock charts from 2012 with historical patterns since 1928, the presidenial market pattern appears intact. The stock market rallied sharply from the start of the year through the spring. It then suffered a pullback of nearly 10% in late spring before rallying into October to fresh five-year highs, before cooling heading into the vote on Nov. 6.

Friday, the Dow fell 139 points, or 1.1%, to 13,093.16.

Courtesy of Bespoke, here are a few more November market tidbits of the past 100 years to consider as we go to the polls Tuesday:

• When a Democrat has won the election, the Dow has fallen 0.7%, on average in November, compared with a gain of 2.5% when a Republican took the White House.

• When the incumbent candidate has won re-election, the Dow has gained 1.3%. But when a Democrat incumbent won, the gain dwindled to 0.2%. When a challenger to a sitting president has won, the Dow has declined 0.1%.

There has only been one time in the past 100 years when a Republican challenger has defeated a Democrat incumbent. That was in 1980, when Ronald Reagan beat Jimmy Carter. That year the Dow soared 7.5% in November."

I had no idea the odds were so far against Romney getting elected! Carter's downfall was the super high interest rates and hostage crisis. Wonder if the current situation is comparable.

As an outsider I think that both candidates have failed to fire up the masses with a platform they can get behind. Personally I don't think it's going to make a whole lot of difference for the American people as it'll mean 4 more years of the status quo. Neither Obama or Romney are going to address the (expletive)-up that is Wall Street, and those with their hands in the pie.

While I think that the U.S is a great nation it has lost its ability to lead by example. It is now only a forefront for corporate wishes. Be damned "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.".

Get back to your roots!
John, while i generally agree with you, the more I read history, the more I realize that even the great leaders in the US were hardly embraced by all- Lincoln, FDR, Kennedy were all loathed in their own times by significant factions of the public. I lived through Reagan, as many of us did, and he was not the leader at the time that history, in retrospect, makes him out to be.
Obama is generally popular (although much loathed by conservatives and some in his own party) but even his supporters acknowledge that he is not a leader and someone who has been able to bring people of differing views together. I'm just not sure there is anybody that can fill that job description; it would be nice to be excited about a candidate rather than voting against the lesser evil (which is, I think, where quite a number of people come out).

Like I said before :): http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2012/11/04/election-year-stock-rally/1677947/

"A post-election stock rally is in the cards

No matter who wins the White House on Nov. 6, history says a late-year stock rally is likely as uncertainty fades and investors get a better sense of what policies will impact businesses and economic growth.

8:23PM EST November 4. 2012 - Investors worried about the tight race for the White House should relax.

History shows that during presidential election years, November and December tend to be bullish months for stocks.

Stocks in the Standard & Poor's 500 index have risen 0.9%, on average, in November during election years dating back to 1928, according to data compiled for USA TODAY by Bespoke Investment Group. December has delivered even bigger gift-wrapped gains, with an average rise of 1.7%, ranking it No. 1 of all 12 months in years voters go to the polls to vote for president.

Paul Hickey, co-founder of Bespoke, predicts stocks will close out this year on a positive note.

"We would expect … the market to rally following Election Day as some of the uncertainty from the market is lifted and the poor third-quarter earnings are digested," he says. Corporate earnings, of course, have been so-so, with only 62% of companies in the S&P 500 that have reported topping forecasts, in line with historical trends, Thomson Reuters data show. But only 39% of companies have beat expectations on revenue and sales, which suggest demand for goods and services in the economy remains tepid.

Wall Street hopes that once the next president is known, whether it be a second term for President Obama or a first term for Republican challenger Mitt Romney, many unanswered policy questions related to taxes, Wall Street regulation and health care will have more clear-cut answers.

Investors also say they will most likely have a better idea after the election if a grand bargain will be hatched between Democrats and Republicans in Congress to resolve the so-called "fiscal cliff." The cliff is a potential growth-stunting mix of tax hikes and government spending cuts that could occur Jan. 1 unless Congress acts to avert it.

"The U.S. presidential election should dominate the headlines" this week, Lewis Alexander, U.S. chief economist at Nomura, said in a client note titled, Hail to the chief.

The stock market's ups and downs this year have closely tracked the peaks and valleys normally associated with the fourth and final year of the so-called "presidential stock market cycle," Hickey says. There's typically an early-year rally, a spring setback, a summer rebound and another pullback in the fall, which normally sets the stage for a post-election rally.

Comparing stock charts from 2012 with historical patterns since 1928, the presidenial market pattern appears intact. The stock market rallied sharply from the start of the year through the spring. It then suffered a pullback of nearly 10% in late spring before rallying into October to fresh five-year highs, before cooling heading into the vote on Nov. 6.

Friday, the Dow fell 139 points, or 1.1%, to 13,093.16.

Courtesy of Bespoke, here are a few more November market tidbits of the past 100 years to consider as we go to the polls Tuesday:

• When a Democrat has won the election, the Dow has fallen 0.7%, on average in November, compared with a gain of 2.5% when a Republican took the White House.

• When the incumbent candidate has won re-election, the Dow has gained 1.3%. But when a Democrat incumbent won, the gain dwindled to 0.2%. When a challenger to a sitting president has won, the Dow has declined 0.1%.

There has only been one time in the past 100 years when a Republican challenger has defeated a Democrat incumbent. That was in 1980, when Ronald Reagan beat Jimmy Carter. That year the Dow soared 7.5% in November."

I had no idea the odds were so far against Romney getting elected! Carter's downfall was the super high interest rates and hostage crisis. Wonder if the current situation is comparable.

The notion that the markets will uptick after a presidential election is usually true, stock market, real estate, other forms of investment, given pre-election uncertainty. I doubt that will do much for what's wrong with our economy though, since the stock market itself seems to have little relationship to real value- it's more like a form of organized gambling.
The parallels between Obama and Carter are considerable- a Washington outsider elected after the nation was disgusted with a failed Republican administration; a politician with little ability to work the system; horrible economy and consumer malaise. Obama has more going for him than Carter though, and is much loved by many (not that I'm sharing that love) - I don't remember many 'loving' Carter back in the day.

*Cynicism disclaimer

RCMP.jpg

Not if she has anything to do with it!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu