Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Jesus Christ. I have the exact album and it's like I'm not even posting. WTF Bob.

Calm down, he had a good point (hard to see on your cell), I just tried to help.

* It's a very good idea to underline when using a link through words.
The WBF's color background blends pretty good with light gold brown color letters.

I bought a US pressing Masterworks, let's see how good it is. Honestly I forget about this composer, thanks @Tango

Hi David, thank you for your reply. We are not looking for alternative materials, but I am interested in your experiences. Let me take the opportunity to explain why. Most of what I'm about to write is known to you, so do not consider this to be directly addressed to you, it may however be interesting to others.

We started using panzerholz about 2.5 years ago to solve address an issue we found when we started modifying the Table Stable active platforms. The issue was these active platforms "isolate" up to 200Hz, in order to do that the feedback circuit measures up to 2000Hz to account for harmonics, as a 200Hz resonance will have harmonics at 400Hz, 600Hz, 800Hz etc. They are fitted with an aluminium top platter sandwiched to a steel frame which causes no issues below 2000Hz. However Aluminium is very resonant above 2000Hz. It's resonance spectrum does not complement any type of musical instrument behaviour so we consider this an undesirable trait.

For painting a complete picture, material resonant behaviour is what makes musical instruments function. In stringed instrument, like a Violin or a guitar, the sound radiation source is mainly a top plate, in pianos it's a soundboard. The strings excite the natural resonances of the top plate/soundboard which are usually made out of wood. The wood provides a dual function, amplification, as it will amplify at its resonance frequencies, and damping, as it will damp some the high frequency resonance of the strings. Spruce is most often used as a soundboard material as it has low density and low internal friction (damping). Maple has higher density and higher internal friction, usually only used to construct the casing. Engineered woods can have even higher density and internal friction. Interestingly one of the applications of Panzerholz is to serve as the frame on which soundboards can be mounted in grand pianos.

View attachment 58937

So we tried a lot of materials, a whole range of wood types, the highest damping woods however came with strong resonance modes in the midrange, both upsetting the Table Stable feedback circuitry and obviously colouring the sound. Bamboo plywood was the best compromise between low midrange colouration and damping aluminium resonance as far as natural wood goes. Composite Bamboo did a bit better, but still not well enough. Then we tried a whole range of high damping composite materials, stones and artificial stones with varying results and finally ended up trying Panzerholz which did the best job by far. We ended up with replacing the stock 6mm aluminium top cover with a 10mm one and sandwiching it with 10mm Panzerholz.

Later on we discovered placing the Table Stable on top of a 40mm board of Panzerholz and adding another on top improved performance even more. Then we got enquiries from customers who wanted to try Panzerholz boards stand alone, so we shipped a bunch out, received feedback claiming good potential, incredible bass, significant increases in clarity but a bit of a "hard quality" to the upper midrange/lower highs, some upper midrange smearing and we should do something with it. So we did, we discovered there where some small modes in the range centered around 3K, we moved those to over 20K by machining all sorts of patterns into the Panzerholz, ended up with the current design as it has no repeatable distances across the board, think diffusion without repeating distances for a sound room. This took care of the upper midrange modes and the associated smearing. Then we had to address the hard quality to the upper midrange/lower highs.This had us baffled for a long time until a conversation with Table Stable introduced the concept of micro oscillations to us. Everything oscillates. Even 2 surfaces, bolted rigidly together, are subject to micro oscillations between them. This is for example what can loosen bolts over time. Even large masses are subject to this. You can move very heavy objects with minimal force if the surface beneath it vibrates. Another example, Tiny Multi Layer Ceramic Capacitors can vibrate significantly when exposed to AC voltages, they can even break off the PCB over time, as they actually cause PCBs to slightly warp under the vibrations they emit. Guess why nobody likes to use those in Hi-Fi.

View attachment 58938
The upper midrange/lower highs harshness was the whole board, with appliance on top, literally bouncing on the floor. An easy way out is using compliant footers, like rubber. But these have a side effect. They create a spring-mass system, the frequency response of this is the lower range passes through, up till the resonance frequency of the system where it amplifies (!), after which it starts damping. The amount of damping defines the amplitude of the resonance peak. This is NOT a neutral Frequency response:

View attachment 58939

If the compliant medium (rubber) is stiff, this can be way up the frequency range, up into the midrange for example. So we came up with the not rigidly mounted footer system damped by foam. Micro oscillations are damped and it has no resonance peak.

Now I've been writing the foams affect the high frequency damping. That is actually a gross oversimplification, if you remove any of those, you start introducing a degree of micro oscillations. That sounds wrong, but it isn't really, as it is just a way of voicing. Ultimately voicing is all about managing resonances. You introduce them in all kinds of flavours, like seasoning in cooking, a bit of spruce here, a little bit of maple there, maybe add a touch of copper, or maybe your dish needs a hint of silver?

Bottom line, the Daiza is virtually neutral. But do you want it to be neutral? Or do you want to use it to add some flavour?

Hi Emile,
I’m on the record here with my views on the Stable Table and it’s use under turntables. I agree with your assessment of the aluminum plate and understand that by placing the panzerholz on top and bottom of the unit you accomplish two things, deal with the aluminum plate and dull the reaction of the Stable Table from external influences, basically dealing with a non-existent problem that this tech introduced by sticking it where it doesn’t belong. Let’s be clear, Stable Table is a piece of cold tech and has nothing to do with musical instruments and their function. I appreciate your approach to solve a puzzle but I don’t see how your charts of materials translate to their interaction with a turntable sitting on top of a reactive instrument with continuous random resonance. From what you correctly stated and my knowledge it’s obvious that Stable Table was more of a Stable Nightmare. In this scenario my approach would be to eliminate the source of the problem and you decided to keep the problem and go through a lot of trouble trying to lessen negative effects of a component that you can’t change it without reversing it’s function.

Stable Table is a scientific instrument initially designed for a very specific purpose and in context of a motionless instrument. A turntable isn’t a digital box, it’s a living, moving musical instrument all about resonance and vibration, direct opposite in nature of what the Stable Table was designed to deal with. Aside from CD players with digital your primary concern is math and computation, resonance and tuning are secondary. Turntable systems are mechanical objects, it’s all about resonance and vibration. The motor is running, the platter is spinning, the bearing rumbling while a tiny stylus connected to fragile cantilever is working hard to create a perfect signal. Every tuning and detuning decision we make with a turntable has to do with controlling the resonance because the mechanism presenting the grooves to the stylus has a profound affect on the outcome. Then we have to preserve the unhindered continuous flow of those miniscule resonances to the conversion point to electric signal which still needs to be kept intact and alive until handoff to the next link in the chain. The vinyl playback system is voiced by controlling resonance, it’s our language and the way we communicate with the listener then you come and stick an effective resonance killer attacking the heart of the system with death as it’s mission as portrayed with the final flat line in the representation below. What have you changed with a couple pieces of plywood and some footers? Call it tuning or whatever else you want, the machine is still a sound killer. I’m a simple guy I don’t understand the rational of sticking one of these units under a turntable and ruining your sound. Daiza is another sample of the same irrationality, out of all the materials you could have chosen for this purpose you pick the well known sound killer to play with. What do you think has changed in nature of panzerholz by cutting grooves and sticking foam up it’s cracks? You even gave the madness a name. Yes you can call it voicing, tuning or whatever else you want, I disagree with your bottom line based on what I hear. Daiza definitely isn’t neutral and has the same sonic impact as panzerholz with the same dampening properties stripping the music off everything that matters.

The below diagram is from Herzan’s site, note the final goal depicted by the purple flatline of death and the last thing you want under a turntable is all the counteractive vibration created by the platform's actuators!

Graphical_Representation_of_Active_Vibration_Cancellation.jpg

david

Reactions: tima and adyc
David I wanted to ask you this included in my previous post, but was cut off by a customer walking in. Just to be clear, I love tweaking and voicing, and from time to time I introduce colouration in my system on purpose. Its very easy to do, although I prefer to introduce it into my room acoustics rather then my equipment. For example from time to time I tune the materials used on the first reflection points on the sidewalls with various flavours of wood. I have included frequency response measurements of various types of wood below. This is the material response from being subjected to a frequency sweep from 100 to 10.000Hz from a speaker mounted at a 2" distance from the board.
Sp1 and Sp2 are 2 variants of Sitka Spruce, He is Hemlock, Map is Maple, Mah is Mahogany, Mat is Matoa, Acryl is Acrylic Resin.

View attachment 58940

Now this is all obvious, when hit by soundwaves the reflection will either not change, be amplified, or damped causing the sound Frequency Response to be modified.

Now suppose we use it as a material for a tonearm or a cartridge, or even turntable material, it would be very feasible it will modulate the cartridge operation by translating its vibration into an electrical signal . Would you agree to that?

Next, how do you propose it does this when used as a platform underneath, say a preamplifier made out of a metal chassis with circuit boards? How does it modulate the sound? And why would you prefer to use Maple or another hardwood for that with very obvious resonance modes? (colouration)? Is this, in your opinion, a way to add natural material resonance to the sound? Or are you doing it to introduce a degree of isolation by means of a deliberate surface to surface impedance mismatch for which there are obvious better choices?

I see two parts here Emile, first one has to do with materials, 2nd how and why. My response below is also related to your previous post.

1- The different random wood measurements you posted give no indication of application or how they convert to sound aside from some possible resonance peculiarity which is meaningless without context. One needs to take into account volume, shape, application and installation for measurements to have any meaning and if one’s methodology is only scientific and theoretical then you need to build a 3 dimensional mathematical model supporting the theory. Fortunately for all the best people making cartridges, tonearms, turntables and other such items are also artists with working experience of materials. A lot of the design work is done intuitively and emotionally and the final product as well engineered as it might be is still a self expression of the artist. Close to your location is Mr. van den Hul, he’s the complete package scientist and artist and I doubt you’re going to find anyone as knowledgeable and intuitive as him. Ask him about his process, use of materials and the various woods he uses in his designs, I very much doubt that he’s going to show you measurements.

2- I don’t build and sell wood platforms to change the sonic balance of equipment so I should ask you that same question, “how do you propose it does this when used under equipment with metal chassis and circuit boards? How does it modulate the sound?”
Please explain why when you transfer a digital file from one box to another over a 10cm connector the reproduced sound is affected and even drastically at times will change again using a different set of connectors and conductor yet when you open the transferred files they’re identical to the original. Explain the differences we hear with powercords and schuko. I’m not trying to catch you Emile just pointing out that in audio there’s a lot that we can’t explain or measure but we’re aware of their acoustic presence and connection to our psyche. To successfully navigate this unmeasurable one needs knowledge, experience and intuition. With panzerholz and your Daiza we know their physical properties but at the same time the way this material strips music of everything is difficult to explain, but we hear it.

No wood or other materials to tune equipment, there's Shun Mook for that. The only place I like to use wood is when dealing with a particular room node and depending on the environment and the frequency I decide the type of wood and design of the diffusor. What happened in Anthony’s install is unusual and I used a few pieces of wood as you suggested to introduce a degree of isolation but I have to be careful because there can be too much of a good thing.

david

I bought a US pressing Masterworks, let's see how good it is. Honestly I forget about this composer, thanks @Tango
Try the tune after Nigun. I think sonically this tune was recorded better than nigun.

It's important that the volume level is equal in both demos.

Not really. If any component causes an imbalance in the lows or highs, the user will reduce volume to balance out the sounds, otherwise, for example, it will sound either screechy or bloated. Some components with low distortion where you balance out the system you can increase the volume and the sound goes up so linearly and beautifully. You just can't increase the volume on some components without wanting to shut it off

Unfortunately IMHO it is not true in mobile phones - level matters and volume should be equal as Bob says. I do not expect such linearity of them, even from the more expensive ;) . And I can't understand how people that consider that some SOTA digital systems are unlistenable and sterile consider that a mobile phone is adequate for the purposes of comparing fine tweaks.

Second, the differences we have in level are probably due to changes in position by the person handling the phone. If they are enough to change level they are surely changing significantly the tonal balance.

IMHO the minimum hardware for such purposes is a recorder such as the Tascam US2000 and a decent stereo microphone with a stand. I would happily lend my Korg MR2000s to Tang if it was not for distance and customs - but I fear that if the microphone is standing in a solid way the recordings would show no difference. In some aspects our ears are much more sensitive than ADCs.

Last edited:
]

David,

Again, I do NOT sell Diazas.

Can you explain to me why maybe 50 people have visited me since I installed Daizas under all of my components and I would say that all 50 people loved the sound they heard in my "challenged NYC/commercial building room", NOT via videos, but in the room listening, with let's say 5 different sets of speakers and again 5 different combinations of electronics?

If the Diazas are ruining the sound and I have terrible sound because of it, then why does everyone like and enjoy listening to music, including me with the Diazas in place?

I can totally understand if the Diazas don't work for you in your wonderful systems (seriously wonderful systems...I get that) or in other systems that you have heard but I can't understand how you can say that Diazas kill the sound in systems that you have not personally heard and again not via videos but in room listening.
Bob,
We're colleagues and competitors it's not my business to wonder about your showroom nor my place to comment one way or another. You're not selling them and if for no other reason but out of common courtesy please don't get involved in this one, this is my business.
Thank you!
David

Calm down, he had a good point (hard to see on your cell), I just tried to help.

* It's a very good idea to underline when using a link through words.
The WBF's color background blends pretty good with light gold brown color letters.

Exactly. Tablets (which I use to browse in the living room) and presumably phones (don't have one) don't have a cursor except in editing, even with a stylus. Showing a link when the cursor is upon it presumes the existence of one. Relying on visual contrast is immoderate design nowadays and ADA non-compliant. In code it is easy to change the default for how a link appears. I'll make a suggestion to change it.

Meanwhile, thank you to Folsom and Bob for taking the time.

Reactions: NorthStar
Unfortunately IMHO it is not true in mobile phones - level matters and volume should be equal as Bob says. I do not expect such linearity of them, even from the more expensive ;) . And I can't understand how people that consider that some SOTA digital systems are unlistenable and sterile consider that a mobile phone is adequate for the purposes of comparing fine tweaks.

Second, the differences we have in level are probably due to changes in position by the person handling the phone. If they are enough to change level they are surely changing significantly the tonal balance.

IMHO the minimum hardware for such purposes is a recorder such as the Tascam US2000 and a decent stereo microphone with a stand. I would happily lend my Korg MR2000s to Tang if it was not for distance and customs - but I fear that if the microphone is standing in a solid way the recordings would show no difference. In some aspects our ears are much more sensitive than ADCs.

If the person is standing at different distances I agree. When tang is walking around I can understand, but usually he sits behind his desk, or might stand in front of it, I don't expect him to be recording in front unless he is walking back for a brief moment.

I already had an experience a couple of weeks ago where he sent me the same LP one notch up and one notch down on volume, I did not know, liked one (lower volume one), not the other. So I accept that for mobile phone recording, volume should be kept the same. Yet, across a series of videos this doesn't matter. tang is doing a series of videos, not one, not two. He has now done multiple piano videos with and without compare that have consistently had the same sonic element I mentioned in my above Bap comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerD
Ideally, the people here should not discuss the product, just the videos. Both discussing panz generically or discussing measurements is misleading, there are other threads for that. Maybe daiza or some other form of panz is good or bad in another system, what do people think about the videos tang is posting? Regarding the Nigun, the Bap, the Ida, where do they like/dislike it. That allows us to relate to what users are listening to/for. If someone likes one because it has a cleaner sound, say it. If someone finds one video has less harmonics, say it.

will also help if Daiza users, including Tang, say a particular attribute sounds X in the video but/and I can't /can hear it in my room. That gives the rest something to relate to.

If one of them was done a few months ago on another mobile, that is unfortunate, maybe Tang can repeat the video for us this week with the same mobile. He is also posting a series of videos.

Reactions: RogerD
I am gathering my thoughts and in the process of learning through listening more different lps. One aspect of sound that is falling short across lps as long as the Daiza is in used is harmonic. This is quite obvious in piano. On dynamic, when the daiza was on cms, there was no loss. But when the daiza stands alone on the carpet floor, the sound is less dynamic comparing to CMS. I saw quite a few comments mentioned about this and that I agree.

There is a lot of work to do in order to make all new recordings on consistent basis. I havent said more because more recordings need to be listened.

When I do recording, I normally put four clicks on the volume of my preamps and donn't change. But I can not confirm if all my recordings in the past were at four clicks or not because I did not have to worry about making them consistent back then. And also some time my cleaning lady accidentally turned the knob when cleaned too. My recording position is always at my seat behind my table. I found moving plus minus a foot does not change the sound of recording.

There are other people who also have experience with Daiza in their systems. I know that adyc and another gentlemen in Taiwan discontinued the service of Daiza in their system. They can give comment on this too. Quite a few people on the other hand have mostly positive feedbacks. They also can give comment regarding harmonic and dynamic.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75
No rush Emile :)!

david

Meanwhile David, I would appreciate it if you stop your continuing all out assault on the Daiza. You are ofcourse fully entitled to your opinion. But there is a large difference between stating that a few times, or dozens of times, even spawning new threads seemingly just for that purpose. People have read it now, many times over, you can trust they are fully aware of your opinion.

Furthermore so far you are alone, you have only heard a single one with removed foams defeating the purpose of the whole design.

We are selling between 8-10 of these each day. Have been for quite some time, with just 1 return. And virtually all place repeat orders. It seems impossible to me this is some form of mass delusion.

Furthermore, this is being read by a lot of people, you have caused a lot of people removing their Daizas and putting them back in again. None of them agree with you. This however is costing me a lot of time.

What you are doing right now would be the same as if I would start posting allover the board the AS2000 is a fake product. You are selling a few 100 worth of material at 250.000, install it personally and make sure they remove all their tweak, powercords and what not to hide the fact its a baked air product.

Now reading something like that would surely enflame you. The same applies to me. You apologized earlier in the thread for the way you go about it, yet you continue on the same path. So I’m asking you to stick to your apology and just stop now. Even though this whole thing is somehow boosting our sales volume.

I will answer your “return” questions next week, nothing mysterious about any of it.

Enjoy your weekend.

Tang, I’m not so sure it is fair to compare between two cellphones. My XS sounds BAD compared to my old S7, which doesn’t sound great. But I will say that despite knowing cellphone differences may account for much, the CMS in the last comparison was superior in every way I could hear. That’s just for your reference, I don’t give it a lot of weight due to cellphone differences, and that they are limited in quality to begin with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu