Zero Distortion: Tango Time

We can get a nice idea of the instruments being played in this recording in this youtube video

Now imagine all this people in your room!

Sorry Fransisco. I watched the video, and then I listened to it again with my eyes closed. I found it extremely difficult to identify or even hear clearly the individual period instruments, to say nothing of whether they sounded real or not. Nice video, nice music, nice everything, but not helpful to me to identify things like the timbre of some of these instruments which I never really hear live anyway. I find common, more familiar instruments better references to judge whether or not a system has believable or convincing tone. Thanks for the link.

Reactions: tima and bonzo75

Ok, nobody asked so I will ...
In that picture above in the background all the trees have a man-made wood pyramid roughly ten feet high; what are they for?

And the blue bicycle; is it used by one of the security people?

Are there many snakes like that one in your neighborhood?

* I like the photo; the greens of the tree leaves and the grass and the hedges have nice rich tones. The brick pavement is artisanal, much less boring than regular street pavement.
It looks like a nice exotic place to live, accentuated by exotic wildlife. Thanks Tang for the photo.

Sorry Fransisco. I watched the video, and then I listened to it again with my eyes closed. I found it extremely difficult to identify or even hear clearly the individual period instruments, to say nothing of whether they sounded real or not. Nice video, nice music, nice everything, but not helpful to me to identify things like the timbre of some of these instruments which I never really hear live anyway. I find common, more familiar instruments better references to judge whether or not a system has believable or convincing tone. Thanks for the link.

Peter I listened to the hires music samples of that album and it is much nicer than what comes out from the video...the quality sound. And, there is the message...powerful...the people singing and dancing and smiling and connecting.

Reactions: PeterA
Thank you. He is fine and joyful now. This morning he jumped up and down in excitement seeing this Shunyata Python sleeping underneath my SLS. I had to call security to de-tweak. ;)

View attachment 59012
I am so glad your son is on the mend. It must have been a worrying time for you.
Your photo certainly put into perspective my irritation with the neighbours cat using my garden as a toilet.

I am so glad your son is on the mend. It must have been a worrying time for you.
Your photo certainly put into perspective my irritation with the neighbours cat using my garden as a toilet.

In Tang's case you would just send the snake over to eat the cat....problem solved :)

Reactions: GMKF and Lagonda
Whoose they don’t bite ....in Australia they bite and you drop dead :(

PS I forgot the states are quite small in USA lol
The Python is not bad as you said. This is the second one we caught. They were brought to the snake farm. The cobra is lethal and they bite. I chased it out of my lawn once, couldn't catch it and then went to my neighbor :eek:.

How are smoke and dust from fire effecting you awsmone. Hope they don't give your kid respiratory problem. I have this problem too in dry season. So much pm 2.5 dust in the air we have to put mask on when in outdoor. Inside home we use air filtering machines. These machines are so good even you fart they clean out all smell.

The same thought did occur to me Steve but I refrained from expressing it so as not to offend our cat loving members!
That snake looks big enough to swallow the tiger Mike just posted

The Python is not bad as you said. This is the second one we caught. They were brought to the snake farm. The cobra is lethal and they bite. I chased it out of my lawn once, couldn't catch it and then went to my neighbor :eek:.

How are smoke and dust from fire effecting you awsmone. Hope they don't give your kid respiratory problem. I have this problem too in dry season. So much pm 2.5 dust in the air we have to put mask on when in outdoor. Inside home we use air filtering machines. These machines are so good even you fart they clean out all smell.
Thanks Tang

the fires have been terrible
i flew over the areas at night and it looked like hell on earth
the smoke has effected a lot of people’s health
the incredible thing is this is just the beginning of the fire season, but so many places have had no rain for more than a year that dams and rivers have run dry it so bad, some big towns have no water and it’s being shipped in

luckily Canberra being in the mountains has been spared so far though u see the haze in the air and when the sun goes down

thanks for asking
my little girl has been coughing a lot

Peter,
Well, I can't help. I clearly listen to their characteristic timbre - and sometimes almost feel the bowing technique. Imagine the recording without these specific instruments - it would feel empty, lacking the permanent drive. Try listening to this more simple recording - https://www.qobuz.com/lu-fr/album/du-temps-de-linstant-du-temps-de-linstant/0829410083461, focusing on Savall instruments, and then digging again the in the Les Routes de l'Esclavage recording. Please do not try with youtube videos - you need a top performance DAC and system to separate the layers!

I carried this recording to an Wilson demo and Peter McGrath loved it - a good friend of mine who often comes calls it "the recording to sell Vivaldi's"! ;)

As I said, tone is essentially created by the recording technique and mastering - it can vary a lot between recordings. Although it is very important in a system, using single recordings and focusing excessively on it is not my cup of tea for evaluation. For example, tone from the Dartzeel 108 is very different from Lamm ML3, perhaps the 108 is more "real like", but I prefer the tone of the ML3.

Peter

try the first minute of this

or this

piano and double bass

Reactions: Tango and PeterA
With friends pushing me to Beethoven, I now like B very much and dig into his work more and more. Today I have Sonata 32, Op. 111 to introduce to you guys. I have this piece by a few pianists, but Annie Fischer is who I prefer. She really excites me with a roller coaster ride through her performance. This is a mono pressing. (You don't really need a mono cart to get great sound from a mono record. Ask ZerostarGeneral.) 1962 Columbia England 33CX1807. Costed me 23 pounds.

Why I bought old records 99% of the time? Because I could not get any good sounding one from new records. I could show you if you sit with me in my room. I am also interested in so many modern day artists but I could not or at least have not been able to get any decent sound from their records. Pity.

3C9FFE45-C6DD-4C70-B1C5-6359DCBD86BA.jpeg

Btw no Daiza in this video if you have to know.

Tang :)

Last edited:
I've got a Schubert of her same label and mono. I think that one sounds better. The only problem is it's Beethoven. But I think you scored on the price!

I've got a Schubert of her same label and mono. I think that one sounds better. The only problem is it's Beethoven. But I think you scored on the price!
It is a morning session Folsom. My Lamm is still doing a lazy stretch ;). It sounds best late afternoon.

But don't listen to my system. Listen the music and performance.

Tang

Reactions: christoph
The Schubert just isn't a great recording period. I can hear something better in the video no matter what.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu