Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Hi Ran
With friends pushing me to Beethoven, I now like B very much and dig into his work more and more. Today I have Sonata 32, Op. 111 to introduce to you guys. I have this piece by a few pianists, but Annie Fischer is who I prefer. She really excites me with a roller coaster ride through her performance. This is a mono pressing. (You don't really need a mono cart to get great sound from a mono record. Ask ZerostarGeneral.) 1962 Columbia England 33CX1807. Costed me 23 pounds.

Why I bought old records 99% of the time? Because I could not get any good sounding one from new records. I could show you if you sit with me in my room. I am also interested in so many modern day artists but I could not or at least have not been able to get any decent sound from their records. Pity.

View attachment 59128

Btw no Daiza in this video if you have to know.

Tang :)
hi Tang

like the sound of piano on this

if your getting into Beethoven

try his Kreutzer sonata ...

this one for sound

or this for the visuals

and Carlos Kleiber Symphony 5 and 7

two DG LP

Reactions: christoph
Hi Ran

hi Tang

like the sound of piano on this

if your getting into Beethoven

try his Kreutzer sonata ...

this one for sound

or this for the visuals

and Carlos Kleiber Symphony 5 and 7

two DG LP
Good day awsmone,

I have a few Kreutzer but not Milstein. I like Heifetz version very much. The record I have is also one of the best sounding I got. Milstein version on video is terrific. Credit has to be given to the piano guy too. I think this piece piano is equally important to make the whole piece complete. Imo Milstein plays with more tonal variation than Heifetz. Heifetz's strokes are more concise. Both played superbly joyful. And that is how I think the piece should be played...playful. I love Yuja but I think the way she played this is a bit too strong and articulate...less playful. I saw her interviews. She seems like a playful person. It would be great if she interpreted the piece more adventurous. For Bell, as you said good for visual. Maybe too flashy drama I think. But what do I know. o_O I am talking way above my pay grade.

With friends pushing me to Beethoven, I now like B very much and dig into his work more and more. Today I have Sonata 32, Op. 111 to introduce to you guys. I have this piece by a few pianists, but Annie Fischer is who I prefer. She really excites me with a roller coaster ride through her performance. This is a mono pressing. (You don't really need a mono cart to get great sound from a mono record. Ask ZerostarGeneral.) 1962 Columbia England 33CX1807. Costed me 23 pounds.

Why I bought old records 99% of the time? Because I could not get any good sounding one from new records. I could show you if you sit with me in my room. I am also interested in so many modern day artists but I could not or at least have not been able to get any decent sound from their records. Pity.

View attachment 59128

Btw no Daiza in this video if you have to know.

Tang :)
Wicked left hand!
I really like that one, thank you for that.

Good day awsmone,

I have a few Kreutzer but not Milstein. I like Heifetz version very much. The record I have is also one of the best sounding I got. Milstein version on video is terrific. Credit has to be given to the piano guy too. I think this piece piano is equally important to make the whole piece complete. Imo Milstein plays with more tonal variation than Heifetz. Heifetz's strokes are more concise. Both played superbly joyful. And that is how I think the piece should be played...playful. I love Yuja but I think the way she played this is a bit too strong and articulate...less playful. I saw her interviews. She seems like a playful person. It would be great if she interpreted the piece more adventurous. For Bell, as you said good for visual. Maybe too flashy drama I think. But what do I know. o_O I am talking way above my pay grade.

yes
agree on the videos apparently Milsteins Strad was something special
at the end he gives the pianist a lot of credit and shares the bows with him

a great LP I have is of Perlman and Ashkenazy the beginning is so atmospheric
i have that on playback on some of my old videos
Good day awsmone,

here is my favourite Kreutzer

this is a cute film on the making

the LP

a recording of my system playing 4 months ago before some changes

sorry but soft I had just got the microphone and I think it’s a bit bass dominant because the mic is below the acoustic centre of the horns
please turn up volume if comparing between videos

Last edited:
Have you heard the heifetz Kruetzer on RCA

I am very happy that this topic is back on its track :)

I have one Kreutzer by Milstein on Analogphonic (The Last Recital LP) which is a pressing to stay away from. Unlike the recent ones I liked from Analogphonic this one sounds just like Tima describes and not worth getting. It is the performance of the video of Milstein that awsmone has shared.

A friend recommended the Capitol Mono LP of Milstein playing Kreutzer and I will be getting that to listen too. I like Milstein.

The Heifetz (LM 277) sounds very nice, a friend told me the Cisco reissue was the one to look for, any experience?

ps. while Ashkenazy is being mentioned, I have been enjoying his sacd of Rachmaninov: Moment Musicaux, just a tip.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and tima
Hi Guys,

This is the best version I own:
83BBC836-653D-436C-BC43-7EAE851BAAD6.jpeg

I am very happy that this topic is back on its track :)

I totally agree ....this conversation about recordings etc which enhances all our collective knowledge is why I read WBF

plus Tangs wit and taste :)......but his snakes are “puny” lol

Reactions: christoph
Dear Tang,

Your taste has leapt forward again,the CBS blue was a shocker to say the least.Personally I appreciate the learning process is long,however this recent video shows you have and are still progressing toward the beauty within the art.

Double bravo you.

Kindest regards,G.

Can I recommend a book too. As this thread is tied to a full scale horn system I think it is appropriate. This is a masterwork on the subject. From history to theory to examples. It is about 1000 pages.

Attachments

• hornlouspeakersbook.jpeg
    hornlouspeakersbook.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8
Can I recommend a book too. As this thread is tied to a full scale horn system I think it is appropriate. This is a masterwork on the subject. From history to theory to examples. It is about 1000 pages.

Snap!
D13F9D39-5D2E-4A1F-BE7D-4597E1B06D08.jpeg

Reactions: kodomo

I sure relate to that from your sharing music with us through the magic of your skills ...

I sent your music video (email) to my Mom this morning (she loves classical music and Beethoven and Annie Fisher). I hope you don't mind too much. And if you want to I can share what she'll say when replying to me. She is out of home today for a friend's reunion @ a golf clubhouse...her boyfriend used to be a pro...still playing.

Dear Tang,

Your taste has leapt forward again,the CBS blue was a shocker to say the least.Personally I appreciate the learning process is long,however this recent video shows you have and are still progressing toward the beauty within the art.

Double bravo you.

Kindest regards,G.

There is so much good stuff to explore in classical. I am glad Ked made me listen to them for four days during his visit. If I were living in London, I would have my wife cook something or bake something for you every weekend just to bait you allowing me make frequent visits.

Kindest regards,
Tang

There is so much good stuff to explore in classical. I am glad Ked made me listen to them for four days during his visit. If I were living in London, I would have my wife cook something or bake something for you every weekend just to bait you allowing me make frequent visits.

Kindest regards,
Tang

He doesn't eat breakfast or lunch, only dinner. Works all day on vinyl.

If your wife had cooked for him I would probably have ended up visiting you to eat then gone back to his to listen to records.

I sent your music video (email) to my Mom this morning (she loves classical music and Beethoven and Annie Fisher). I hope you don't mind too much. And if you want to I can share what she'll say when replying to me. She is out of home today for a friend's reunion @ a golf clubhouse...her boyfriend used to be a pro...still playing.

She sent me an email saying only one word...magnificent! (in French ... "magnifique").
So that word is for you Tang, from Mom (she's 85).

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu