Zero Distortion: Tango Time

I envy Christoph's spectacular view of Liechtenstein behind his system. So I decided to take out my absorber panels at front wall to let some light and view of tree top into my room. Voila! Good sound actually comes with light and open view now ;).

Careful Tango now everyone can see from outside that you are never working
but only listening to music ;)

Reactions: howiebrou
I'm all about natural light, you would have never been able to get me to cover the to start!

I never realised they’re windows behind
is the centre panel a window or door?
They are just glass wall. The big diffuser is still there. The room was design to be an office. It had wicked reverb originally. Then I had an acoustician came in to work on the room. He put absorbers in many places and the wicked reverb was gone. Ddk was in my room. He worked on de-tweaking my system but did not have time to screw with my room acoustic. At that time he told me my room was on an over-dampened side. I did not do anything until recently we had the Daiza incident that made to to thinking I could improve my system further. Master Yoda (and Ked too) knocked on my head told me to use "the force." You also have a part in reminding me what the real instruments sound like. So I use the force and took out the absorbers. Voila! Unleash the potential of my excellent equipments without putting more money into. :)

Careful Tango now everyone can see from outside that you are never working
but only listening to music ;)

It is my way to remind them who is the BOSS.

Ye
They are just glass wall. The big diffuser is still there. The room was design to be an office. It had wicked reverb originally. Then I had an acoustician came in to work on the room. He put absorbers in many places and the wicked reverb was gone. Ddk was in my room. He worked on de-tweaking my system but did not have time to screw with my room acoustic. At that time he told me my room was on an over-dampened side. I did not do anything until recently we had the Daiza incident that made to to thinking I could improve my system further. Master Yoda (and Ked too) knocked on my head told me to use "the force." You also have a part in reminding me what the real instruments sound like. So I use the force and took out the absorbers. Voila! Unleash the potential of my excellent equipments without putting more money into. :)

i agree I spend more time on the acoustics than buying equipment big improvements

i agree on the Pictures at an X it sounds dynamic

David’s correct a mixture of dampening and reflective/diffusion but the materials seem very important

remember horns interact with the room less than dynamic speakers

i tell you a funny story my previous house had wonderful view through the glass full length windows behind speakers

one day I thought the system sounded funny

i walked up to the windows and they were vibrating back and forward 1 cm with the base

Ye

i agree I spend more time on the acoustics than buying equipment big improvements

i agree on the Pictures at an X it sounds dynamic

David’s correct a mixture of dampening and reflective/diffusion but the materials seem very important

remember horns interact with the room less than dynamic speakers

i tell you a funny story my previous house had wonderful view through the glass full length windows behind speakers

one day I thought the system sounded funny

i walked up to the windows and they were vibrating back and forward 1 cm with the base
The one thing I can really say is my absorbers did one hell of the job absorbing. So much micro elements visual cues in sound got suck in and lost. Microstrip should not be near one of these things. It gonna sucks him and leave not enough juice to debate with ddk and Bonzo.

My glass wall is thick with a width of only 100cm each so no flexing like you experienced. Anyway there are more things I want to try with my room.

Thank God you gave up on pretty
secretary’s long time ago.
There is just nowhere to hide in that office now :rolleyes:

Thank God you gave up on pretty
secretary’s long time ago.
There is just nowhere to hide in that office now :rolleyes:
Scratching balls is no longer an option my dear Lagonda...lets put it this way.

ya know........just because it comes into our mind and we type stuff out, it's not always essential that we hit 'post reply'.

just say'n. :eek::rolleyes:

I agree. Some should just scratch instead of replying

Reactions: howiebrou
Geez. It was just a figure of speech and you all let your raw imagination go wild. Sigh. Will I be censured again? :rolleyes:

It is always good to have natural light but I would not have liked people walking behind my stage!

As for acoustics, I do not know as I have not been to your room and I have not seen any measurements of it. As someone who has studied acoustics at school and furthered it and still actively pursuing it (trying to do some academic work on small room acoustics and music listening) I would sadly say that the stuff people do is generally wrong (not talking about your case in particular). When it comes to small room acoustics (all our rooms are considered small room), some people do not care at all, some blame their wife for the lack of applications and some just make the wrong applications... The absorbers in your room should do the opposite of making you miss those small cues. It is generally the wrong type of absorption in wrong quantities and in the wrong spots that causes it. Still, it can also be the excitement of the new sound with less absorbers that makes you feel encompassed with reflections. This may make you believe you have changed the sound for the better, this may pass within a short while or you may get used to it or it may be better, who knows... Without proper measurements it is very near impossible to judge the room acoustics correctly. Please use the right measurements and the right people to read and judge those measurements along your listening. The room for reproduction is not like a room for recording or performance. Those rooms where recording or performances happen need very different qualities and there is some magic to it! but not reproduction or control/mixing rooms. It is also very hard to judge recordings and say this sounds like violin, piano etc. as you do not have a reference on what what the engineer has done with that particular recording.

just a friendly reminder :)

Geez. It was just a figure of speech and you all let your raw imagination go wild. Sigh. Will I be censured again? :rolleyes:

Dear Tang,

i was making a joke and not being serious, but i see it was too serious not my intention. i have deleted it. sorry.

better to be free to let it rip and keep smiling. a touch of crude is good for the soul.

best regards,

Mike

Reactions: Lagonda
I
It is always good to have natural light but I would not have liked people walking behind my stage!

As for acoustics, I do not know as I have not been to your room and I have not seen any measurements of it. As someone who has studied acoustics at school and furthered it and still actively pursuing it (trying to do some academic work on small room acoustics and music listening) I would sadly say that the stuff people do is generally wrong (not talking about your case in particular). When it comes to small room acoustics (all our rooms are considered small room), some people do not care at all, some blame their wife for the lack of applications and some just make the wrong applications... The absorbers in your room should do the opposite of making you miss those small cues. It is generally the wrong type of absorption in wrong quantities and in the wrong spots that causes it. Still, it can also be the excitement of the new sound with less absorbers that makes you feel encompassed with reflections. This may make you believe you have changed the sound for the better, this may pass within a short while or you may get used to it or it may be better, who knows... Without proper measurements it is very near impossible to judge the room acoustics correctly. Please use the right measurements and the right people to read and judge those measurements along your listening. The room for reproduction is not like a room for recording or performance. Those rooms where recording or performances happen need very different qualities and there is some magic to it! but not reproduction or control/mixing rooms. It is also very hard to judge recordings and say this sounds like violin, piano etc. as you do not have a reference on what what the engineer has done with that particular recording.

just a friendly reminder :)

i think these are very good points

in addition direct radiator , panel/electrostatic/dipole, and horns react in different ways in a room and require different solutions

in general large panels of glass are considered problematic but yours seem different due to thickness to some extent

getting some measurements might help agreed, but it doesn’t hurt to play with what u have got as that’s free

when I changed from electrostatics to horns I had to change the things in my room a lot

a simple trick is to get someones voice you know to stand where the speakers are and see how it affects their voice compared to standing up close or record it as u have been doing as a reference

Reactions: christoph
Dear Tang,

i was making a joke and not being serious, but i see it was too serious not my intention. i have deleted it. sorry.

better to be free to let it rip and keep smiling.

best regards,

Mike

No misunderstanding Mike. I know you were kidding with me ;).

I was teasing back howie and awsmone.

We are in good spirit here.

Love you Mike,

Tang

Can we get back to the topic of Tang’s nuts?o_O May be they have some absorption and dispersion properties.

D6ADBEB9-5757-4579-B764-2A2E52CD06FB.jpeg

Reactions: Lagonda
Yes, but the RON.2.0 software works quietly in the background, removing offensive material without scolding you. Almost like being politically correct yourself. It comes highly recommended,. By me !:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think, you ddk and me should start
a movement. It,s going to be called
The “me three “ movement, where you just say anything that comes
Into your mind :eek:

Reactions: zerostargeneral
I envy Christoph's spectacular view of Liechtenstein behind his system. So I decided to take out my absorber panels at front wall to let some light and view of tree top into my room. Voila! Good sound actually comes with light and open view now ;).

Hi Master Tang
I feel very honored by your reference being an inspiration view-wise to you :cool:
But I have to add a little piece of correction here: those mountains on the other side of the river Rhein valley are actually in Switzerland ;)

I like your new view a LOT.
I hope for you that it sounds better than before because once you tasted the view it is almost impossible to go back to no view :oops:
I fear Master Kodomo is correct with his assessment that absorbtion at the righ places increases the ability to hear smallest cues than to reduce it...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu