Zero Distortion: Tango Time

My opinion on the video only is that it sounded a bit jumbled up, probably due to reflections, and I preferred the older way.

With other system on forum you only read and don't hear how it progresses. If the sound sucks no one let you hear it or read about it. With my system, you hear it as we go along. It takes Mike how many years to get his room where it is now. Nothing happens by chances. It sure wont take me two week to get where I want. I am just happy knowing my system can leap forward after taking the acoustic panels out. Next step is to work on a more proper room acoustic.

I agree which is why people should engage in the videos as ongoing feedback

Last edited:
Btw Tang you are not at two weeks, just saying.

With other system on forum you only read and don't hear how it progresses. If the sound sucks no one let you hear it or read about it. With my system, you hear it as we go along. It takes Mike how many years to get his room where it is now. Nothing happens by chances. It sure wont take me two week to get where I want. I am just happy knowing my system can leap forward after taking the acoustic panels out. Next step is to work on a more proper room acoustic.

Hi Tang,

FWIW - imho the latest vid sounds too reflective and the bass cluttered / muddier than previous vids. Maybe it sounds better in person, but i think you’ll need something to clean up the bass and perhaps some more diffusion to assist with those reflections (if you are averse to absorption.

Reactions: bonzo75
Hi Tang,

FWIW - imho the latest vid sounds too reflective and the bass cluttered / muddier than previous vids. Maybe it sounds better in person, but i think you’ll need something to clean up the bass and perhaps some more diffusion to assist with those reflections (if you are averse to absorption.

Maybe more absorption behind the desk? The issue with bass is it travels and reflects everywhere because it has very long wave lengths. If you get nodes and modes from having less absorption, well, you get the idea. The thing is I'm not sure Tang hears any of what you hear, because phones are BAD at bass recording. It might just be overall better for him - and he doesn't have a lot of bass anyways without the subs those speakers usually come with.

Maybe more absorption behind the desk? The issue with bass is it travels and reflects everywhere because it has very long wave lengths. If you get nodes and modes from having less absorption, well, you get the idea. The thing is I'm not sure Tang hears any of what you hear, because phones are BAD at bass recording. It might just be overall better for him - and he doesn't have a lot of bass anyways without the subs those speakers usually come with.

On the Pictures track the double bass runs are a bit muddled with no front edge on the note. I would guess the mud can be partially alleviated with some traps that work principally from 50-200hz but of course it is a mere guess and a frequency response sweep would be most helpful.

The mids / highs sound too reverberant to me as though the room is too live and speaking too much of its own.

Please accept the caveats that this is phone recording so I am merely attempting to be helpful as best I can.

Reactions: bonzo75
Btw Tang you are not at two weeks, just saying.
I meant get things done in two weeks. I am absorbing what I am hearing from playing different records for the time being. And also having two guys free themself from normal work to lift things in and out for me. The kind of shit you would do when you really want to pin down something dear Ked.

Reactions: Folsom
hi Tang

yes I understand your explorations done all this myself over 6 years !
i think a live room has a lot of advantages, but glass is always a challenge

but you may need to moderate the bass , the bass boost may have affected the timbral balance, but also decreased the clarity of the bass

pulling the bass out from the wall to get the clarity, versus fullness is where the art comes in

i don’t know how easy this is to adjust for you, but I would pull out till it becomes fast and a bit lean, and mark this point on the ground with some tape

i would then move back till you achieve the timbral balance you want , you need increments of 1cm and best to place a tape measure going from the lean point you have identified with marking tape

this point can be guessed at, if you walk and talk from the front wall till your voice looses the bass boost from the wall

once you have that correct , you can play with if covering areas of the glass, to diffuse the front wall, without too much attenuation, some semitransparent curtains may be all you need,

Listened to this marvellous recording Sunday
7A4DAC90-8792-4EA7-B9B5-762708FB3A09.jpeg

Dynamic range and timbral colours to test any system lovely tempi in first mvmt

listen for 7:45 for brass colours and timbres
wonderful brass chorale from 8:35
and gentle second theme from 9:15 I love the build to that chorale of brass sublime !
if your into harmony listen for the chord at 9:04 so modern

Last edited:
Reactions: zerostargeneral
hi Tang

yes I understand your explorations done all this myself over 6 years !
i think a live room has a lot of advantages, but glass is always a challenge

but you may need to moderate the bass , the bass boost may have affected the timbral balance, but also decreased the clarity of the bass

pulling the bass out from the wall to get the clarity, versus fullness is where the art comes in

i don’t know how easy this is to adjust for you, but I would pull out till it becomes fast and a bit lean, and mark this point on the ground with some tape

i would then move back till you achieve the timbral balance you want , you need increments of 1cm and best to place a tape measure going from the lean point you have identified with marking tape

this point can be guessed at, if you walk and talk from the front wall till your voice looses the bass boost from the wall

once you have that correct , you can play with if covering areas of the glass, to diffuse the front wall, without too much attenuation, some semitransparent curtains may be all you need,
Thank you awsmone. For the lovely Bruckner too.
I will take glass out of equation.

Last edited:
Listened to this marvellous recording Sunday
View attachment 59517

Dynamic range and timbral colours to test any system lovely tempi in first mvmt

listen for 7:45 for brass colours and timbres
wonderful brass chorale from 8:30
and gentle second theme from 9:15 I love the build to that chorale of brass sublime !
if your into harmony listen for the chord at 9:04 so modern

Ah yes I have this too!-- superb Album from Colonel Klinks father;)
One of Romy the Cat's Favs as well:cool:

BruceD

Will appreciate if there is more recommendation on a terrific symphony like Bruckner 4 that awsmone just recommended.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mahler 2 the Resurrection,Klemperer.

Bruckner 9,Schuricht.

Bruckner 8,Schuricht,

Midsummer Night's Dream,Maag.

Mozart 38,Maag

Tchaikovsky 4,Wolff.

Beethoven Eroica,Szell

Beethoven 9,Furtwangler(purist),Schuricht or Szell joint second(IMO).

Please acquire the best pressings of the above?

Kindest regards,G.

To keep on a Bruckner theme

his 8th I love Zubin Mehta Version on Lp

the third movement is monumental but each movement is like a symphony on its own it is the longest symphony in the standard repertoire this goes an hour and twenty minutes

to plug Australian musicianship

the Australia world orchestra made up of symphonic performers from all the world‘s great orchecstras

any of the 4 movements are grand , watch Rattle he often doesn’t beat time they r so good together!

i pick from 39:46 but try not to weep, the string playing is wonderful

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou
A taste of Mehta on the 8 th, which I saw live with Berlin

i liked a comment ....”this is how Brass should sound” :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu