Zero Distortion: Tango Time

I have a few Scheherazade from various conductors. This one by Y.Svetlanov is like pushing nitrus button on my American Sound. Bonzo is a Scheherazade guy but I doubt he could handle this :p. This is a remastered of a 1969 concert of USSR State Symphony Orchestra. The pressing is very very good imo. Melodiya C10 01767 004. Different type sound from those of Analog Production.

Apologize for my on going process of room acoustic adjustment. Just listen to music.View attachment 59725

Edited: Just replaced the video with the correct speed on now. @Bonzo You should do your job more properly giving me head up everytime I mistakenly posted something.

This one sounds really good over You Tube. Melodiya likely means it was recorded and mixed with all tubed equipment, as the Russians hung on to those a lot longer than the West. Melodiya and Angel are worth picking up at the thrifts for this reason, and Russian performances tend to be quite good.

This one sounds really good over You Tube. Melodiya likely means it was recorded and mixed with all tubed equipment, as the Russians hung on to those a lot longer than the West. Melodiya and Angel are worth picking up at the thrifts for this reason, and Russian performances tend to be quite good.

The differences in Melodiya pressings is quite high. And unlike Decca it is not easy to follow in terms of first press, second press, repress, etc

Reactions: Folsom
The differences in Melodiya pressings is quite high. And unlike Decca it is not easy to follow in terms of first press, second press, repress, etc

I got an earlier pressing of one that Tang liked. It sounds good except one part towards the end is heavily distorted because I think they would have to of cut it by hand to make it work. Tang’s later copy doesn’t do that.

I am a generic thrift store dempsey diver, not an obsessed librarian or archivist. Buy a bunch of Melodiya's and cull to taste. I have a handful of nice ones.
Nothing like a fitty cent rekkid that opens up gloriously on a nice system.

So I was at record store flipping through mostly classical I've seen before and don't want... I then happened to see a Scheherazade on RCA. I thought, "hmm, well Tang is listening to them, I'll at least look it up." It looked like reissue RCA, so I was thinking well, it's not LSC so probably junk. It turns out that it's a reissue of LM-1954, which means that the original probably is sucky, and the only thing like an "LSC" version is this one, the VICS-1444. It also turns out it sounds pretty good. It's got a different sound than the LSC that scoring an S1-S3 on isn't so easy. It's kind of a warmer take on the performance, but also pretty dynamic.

Please note I didn't engage my turbo button for this -
Folsom. This is another white elephant. Good find. Who is the conductor? I also love the special barking sound effect in this album...sound more natural than I ever heard. ;)

Tube Rat looks like he introduces an unpredictable sound damping variable. Shouldn't he be wearing an anechoic vest?

That’s the she. Her combined with the he tube rat love to sit awkwardly on me while I listen in Poang chair... very awkward. The variables start when someone walks by on the sidewalk outside. If there were an anechoic mouth guard that could be a critical audio component.

Hey Tang.

You have 4 great tables. Can you give us a quick summary of the performance of all 4. I assume that AS 2000 is top dog and Kronos is at the bottom, but is there really that big a difference between the 4 tables?

Please be honest and open, like you are normally as it is only your opinion.

cheer
Shane

Hey Tang.

You have 4 great tables. Can you give us a quick summary of the performance of all 4. I assume that AS 2000 is top dog and Kronos is at the bottom, but is there really that big a difference between the 4 tables?

Please be honest and open, like you are normally as it is only your opinion.

cheer
Shane
Of course Shane. But pls be patient. I have been out of sync since my baby girl Sam arrived two weeks ago.

549B8229-CF88-46B7-B629-2229A35E94C8.jpeg

Congrats Tang. My guess is she isn't leaving yr system anytime soon.

Of course Shane. But pls be patient. I have been out of sync since my baby girl Sam arrived two weeks ago.

View attachment 60103
Congrats Tang!

i have a little girl also, they are a joy for a Dad; please she is more important than us

note experienced father with one hand hold ;)

Many congratulations, Tang!

FYI.....i was cleaning out my gear attic today, and came across an old Stax SRA-35 electrostatic amp and set SR-X Mark 3 electrostatic headphones. found me a cable to plug into my laptop, and i can finally properly listen to these video's. back in 2010-2011 i bought these with some other headphone gear, sold the other stuff, but had never listened.

the pots and circuits are sticky and noisy but it's settling down, warming up, and getting better and better by the minute. been listening about 30 minutes now and it really sounds quite good. never knew my laptop could sound so good with the youtube audio. really airy and sweet on top.

it's not my BHSE with the 009's, but i'm happy and it was free.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all wishful thinking. Beautiful mind indeed.

Best personal regards,
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu