Zero Distortion: Tango Time

It means rare find from a jungle in my culture. What does it mean in the West? :confused: I hope nothing obscene.
A white elephant in the west is something you prized, but when u obtain it you find it is not worthy of your desire, or can be hard to sell, or rid yourself of

It means rare find from a jungle in my culture. What does it mean in the West? :confused: I hope nothing obscene.
I found this info on the meaning of white elephant on the Quora site.

The term white elephant refers to an extravagant but burdensome gift that cannot be easily disposed of, based on the legend of the King of Siam giving rare albino elephants to courtiers who had displeased him, that they might be ruined by the animals' upkeep costs.

Maybe the very nature of the audiophile system is essentially something of a white elephant. Loved the performance on the video and I went looking for some more Lazar Berman recordings on the stream and they are virtually nonexistent on the stream oh darn you and your impossible vinyl on your fabulous horn system oh King of Siam :) Though was able to enjoy Lazar via the vid thankyou Tang.

edit: The Roon search failed to unearth much Lazar at all but a tidal search brought up much gold. Classical searches on the stream are not a strong point of the system unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango
There is a Mozart box set from electric recording co costing over 3k USD that has a phenomenal Lazar Berman performance in it

Reactions: the sound of Tao
oh my

please a few different interpretations that make sense

and the original

i don’t want to say this sounds like a 1920s radio with ‘heavy rain’ ... maybe a monsoon or typhoon ?
, but will leave others to judge

oh my ...........
I don't understand exactly what your comment is on, the interpretation by Lazar?, or the sound of Piano in my room on Youtube? Or both? You are very experienced in classical music and instruments so I put much value on your comments.

On interpretation by Lazar or his playing style. I like the way he made rise and fall of pace on a predictable passage unpredictably...very different from Yuja fast and furious which I also like but she is still predictable if one follow her enough. I also like Lazar from the way his fingers presses piano keys. His strikes are more like a 6.2 V8 big bore high torque than a Ferrari high reving of Yuja and many other modern pianists. Lazar made me feel like he had big fingers moving from one note to another so solidly with weight like a turtle taking steps. Even on a rising pace passage I feel like his fingers were slowly moving. Intriguingly romantic in my view.

On how piano sound in my room from Youtube. I am always open for criticism. I really do want to learn from experts on how different instruments not just piano should sound. I even bought a Yamaha piano that can play itself through steaming to get me more and more familiar with piano harmonic. If my piano sound weird and wrong please tell me how wrong and possibly show a video that sounds right (Yuja vid?). I want to see if my target sound is close or similar to your comment of how piano should sound. I am not saying my piano sound correct at all right now and I have my target where it should be. If you notice, I am playing with room acoustic at this point in time. It is an excellent learning seeing how room acoustic amendment changes sound.

What you heard on my video is a representative of clarity and resolution of this vinyl. The vinyl of this particular Lazar sounds above and beyond new records produced these days though.

Tang :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Your comment made my itch level hitting redline, Marty. There is no way to enjoy new music without digital. I was delighted to see Yuja's Revel Left Hand concerto on vinyl. Not even finished one band I threw it into my junk bin. Listening to her on youtube with ear phone is much much more enjoyable. With this particular NIU NIU album you listened, was it a cd or a digital download of some sort? Are you enjoying your Lampi with a cd transport or a super server people praised so much of in the other thread.
I love Ravel and his piano concerto

i have to admit the concerto for the left hand I find difficult especially the beginning

it was a commission from Paul Wittgenstein brother of Ludwig the famous philosopher/mathematician

he lost his right arm during the war and was a pianist of sorts, the first performance with Paul didn’t go so well.....

I don't understand exactly what your comment is on, the interpretation by Lazar?, or the sound of Piano in my room on Youtube? Or both? You are very experienced in classical music and instruments so I put much value on your comments.

On interpretation by Lazar or his playing style. I like the way he made rise and fall of pace on a predictable passage unpredictably...very different from Yuja fast and furious which I also like but she is still predictable if one follow her enough. I also like Lazar from the way his fingers presses piano keys. His strikes are more like a 6.2 V8 big bore high torque than a Ferrari high reving of Yuja and many other modern pianists. Lazar made me feel like he had big fingers moving from one note to another so solidly with weight like a turtle taking steps. Even on a rising pace passage I feel like his fingers were slowly moving. Intriguingly romantic in my view.

On how piano sound in my room from Youtube. I am always open for criticism. I really do want to learn from experts on how different instruments not just piano should sound. I even bought a Yamaha piano that can play itself through steaming to get me more and more familiar with piano harmonic. If my piano sound weird and wrong please tell me how wrong and possibly show a video that sounds right (Yuja vid?). I want to see if my target sound is close or similar to your comment of how piano should sound. I am not saying my piano sound correct at all right now and I have my target where it should be. If you notice, I am playing with room acoustic at this point in time. It is an excellent learning seeing how room acoustic amendment changes sound.

What you heard on my video is a representative of clarity and resolution of this vinyl. The vinyl of this particular Lazar sounds above and beyond new records produced these days though.

Tang :)

let’s leave the interpretation side apart as that’s always a matter of taste, but Lazar is brilliant pianist no question

if you compare your vid with Yuga, hers has more sound board, maybe too much, but piano has several distinct sounds depending on the place on the keyboard

if you have a piano stand back from it and listen to the sounds below middle C for the effect of the soundboard and the different string tensions

dont disagree about most new vinyl other than those from a complete analog chain, most of the Sony etc reissues are from digital sources, I know that’s a generalisation but often true

Reactions: Tango
Lazare Levy,

I gifted the repress to Tang in his first parcel of vinyl.

Berman is very good but not in that league,Kedar you are slipping.

Kindest regards,G.

Reactions: bonzo75
Yes. You are slipping Ked. And No new finding. A slacker.

Your comment made my itch level hitting redline, Marty. There is no way to enjoy new music without digital. I was delighted to see Yuja's Revel Left Hand concerto on vinyl. Not even finished one band I threw it into my junk bin. Listening to her on youtube with ear phone is much much more enjoyable. With this particular NIU NIU album you listened, was it a cd or a digital download of some sort? Are you enjoying your Lampi with a cd transport or a super server people praised so much of in the other thread.

Tang,
I use both the CD and a streaming version, of which there are at least 3; regular 16 bit Tidal, MQA Tidal and 24/96 Qobuz which is the version I use. I have not compared the CD and the Qobuz version in any meaningful way. Not surprisingly, sourcing with my CDs, especially those I have not yet burned to my NAS drive, has become less of a priority since Qobuz is quite good and certainly more convenient. i am not in the server stratosphere club with a Taiko SGM Extreme but use a more humble Innuos Zenith MkIII which I enjoy and sounds quite good. The main reason I continue to use a transport, at least for me, are the many SACD's I own which I have no intention of re-purchasing as hi-rez files, if indeed they are even available . Ked asked me if I've compared LP to CD/SACD to streaming (with the same material obviously) and it's on my list but I just haven't gotten around to it yet using the Lampi. I did so with my Meitner DA2 DAC but I suspect with the Lampi, the results may indeed change somewhat. We'll see. What is quite clear is that silver discs appear to soon be an anachronism, which in your case translates to many dollars saved and thus hopefully applied to more rewarding audio acquisitions ahead.
Marty

Last edited:
Tha
Tang,
I use both the CD and a streaming version, of which there are at least 3; regular 16 bit Tidal, MQA Tidal and 24/96 Qobuz which is the version I use. I have not compared the CD and the Qobuz version in any meaningful way. Not surprisingly, sourcing with my CDs, especially those I have not yet burned to my NAS drive, has become less of a priority since Qobuz is quite good and certainly more convenient. i am not in the server stratosphere club with a Taiko SGM Extreme but use amore humble Innuos Zenith MkIII which I enjoy and sounds quite good. The main reason I continue to use a transport, at least for me, are the many SACD's I own which I have no intention of re-purchasing as hi-rez files, if indeed they are even available . Ked asked me if I've compared LP to CD/SACD to streaming (with the same material obviously) and it's on my list but I just haven't gotten around to it yet using the Lampi. I did so with my Meitner DA2 DAC but I suspect with the Lampi, the results may indeed change somewhat. We'll see. What is quite clear is that silver discs appear to soon be an anachronism, which in your case translates to many dollars saved and thus hopefully applied to more rewarding audio acquisitions ahead.
Marty
thanks Marty for the tip on Niu
there is so much talent out there today
but artistry is still a rare commodity :)

Dear Tang,

Very interesting opinions about the different turntables. However considering you own a Studer A820 it would be even more interesting if you would compare them briefly with reel to reel mastertapes.

BTW, can I ask what is the thickness of your cards?
I am not forgetting your comment. I have to crystalize my thoughts why I prefer my vinyl front to tape first in term of sonic. My office is also closed for a long new year weekend so I cannot measure how thick a card is.

Peter - can you say, as near as you can measure, the length from the 3012R pivot to the stylus?

Tim, this is a better question for David. I’m on vacation at the moment but when I get home, I suppose I could try to measure it. I was quite surprised when I could hear the difference of one card thickness In arm height.

Peter - can you say, as near as you can measure, the length from the 3012R pivot to the stylus?
With the 3012-R alignment is done by sliding the base forwards and backwards so pivot to stylus point will change according to cartridge. SME headshell has fixed screw holes.

david

Much superior? What are you basing this on? How is it superior?

david
It sounded not so open not so transparent less dynamic. The tone is too pastel and warm. Not typical of the sound of AtlasSL. I and Pisit, you remember my tone arm guy, tried and retried from start of installing arm and cart four times. I even thought of possible defect of that particular 3012R so I checked by replacing with another different one. But turned out the same sound. Weird. AtlasSL is the only cart went out of its character on 3012R.

Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu