Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When you consider that top carts are more similar than different it really highlights the skill of designers and the art of constructors to acheive improvements.

Fair enough. How does this inform us about A.J.'s improvements to the Gran Cru over the Master Signature?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
HI Tang

Is this your new cartridge?

Van den Hul Colibri Grand Cru

Sorry to disappoint you guys. The one I mentioned is the other special one he made. It would be great to have an opportunity to own one though. These items are quite rare. I am not at liberty to say before the company's official release.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
And last week I received a few records from The General. This ended my search for best Bach Chacone.

Prihoda?
To me these...

806A2066-AFE2-4B7E-81EF-58581AC1EB8A.jpeg

...and the Kogan's Chaconne.

Reactions: Surfski and Folsom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sorry to disappoint you guys. The one I mentioned is the other special one he made. It would be great to have an opportunity to own one though. These items are quite rare. I am not at liberty to say before the company's official release.

Kind regards,
Tang

nice tease, kind sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Fair enough. How does this inform us about A.J.'s improvements to the Gran Cru over the Master Signature?
Likely to be a series of seemingly small changes (maybe in material, or in contruction technique) that a master builder has developed to improve his product.

Of course I don't know what A.J. did...and I am not belittling his acheivement. I'm highlighting the importance of the artisan in cart building. Something hard to define in ad copy...

Reactions: bonzo75 and tima

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
nice tease, kind sir.
You have something special. I have something special sir ;).

It was not my intention to draw attention on the vdh. I was only telling what I was doing and indirectly telling friends here I am doing ok. A few friends asked me because I havent been writing much in the past few weeks.

Tang :)

Reactions: christoph and ALF

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It was not my intention to draw attention on the vdh. I was only telling what I was doing and indirectly telling friends here I am doing ok. A few friends asked me because I havent been writing much in the past few weeks.

Tang :)

we all miss reading about your experiences. even the tease is better than not having it. it can't help but add positive energy.

can't wait for Ron's speculations. or caesar starting a related thread.:rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Awesome Tang, that's very cool. I've been looking for one of those two for many years. I knew it existed on vinyl ( I have a Japanese CD version) ;nice to get concrete proof. I bet you can't wait to play them.

Kogan's chaconne is on Melodiya so not that expensive, yet. It is very good the Haitto is brilliant. I am not a fan of the piano chaconne, including the one by Bundervoet. I had seen a live cello chaconne which had my hair standing all through. You have a Japanese CD version of the Haitto?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Likely to be a series of seemingly small changes (maybe in material, or in contruction technique) that a master builder has developed to improve his product.

Of course I don't know what A.J. did...and I am not belittling his acheivement. I'm highlighting the importance of the artisan in cart building. Something hard to define in ad copy...

Wire metal, gauge, number of windings, winding topology and magnet. Those seem to be the primary variables that Mr AJ has played with recently. Then there's wood and suspension.

The lid says XGW so that tells us the wire metal and winding topology are the same as the Master Sig and other XGW - unless vdH means something different this time. Iirc the stronger magnet was the biggest change in creating the Master Sig. So yes, I suspect you're right - small changes in construction technique. We'll wait to learn the sonic differences.

Maybe a wine based lacquer? :-o

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Kogan's chaconne is on Melodiya so not that expensive, yet. It is very good the Haitto is brilliant. I am not a fan of the piano chaconne, including the one by Bundervoet. I had seen a live cello chaconne which had my hair standing all through. You have a Japanese CD version of the Haitto?
I hear them differently. For me both Kogan and Bundervoet's Chaconne are more soulful and translated their emotion right at that moment into notes masterfully. But Haitto's performance is just so fascinating by his unbelievable skill and unusual rhythm making one violin sounded like four. All top notch anyhow.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hear them differently. For me both Kogan and Bundervoet's Chaconne are more soulful and translated their emotion right at that moment into notes masterfully. But Haitto's performance is just so fascinating by his unbelievable skill and unusual rhythm making one violin sounded like four. All top notch anyhow.

You are comparing your Kogan on LP to the other two on youtube so far. Let's chat after you listen to your Haitto LP

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You are comparing your Kogan on LP to the other two on youtube so far. Let's chat after you listen to your Haitto LP
You only heard at G once or twice. Go listen more repeatedly and we chat. ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You only heard at G once or twice. Go listen more repeatedly and we chat. ;)

No more than once. Though that wouldn't change it. I can see you will need to listen to multiple times to appreciate. And the second time I guessed who was playing correctly because it is the only chaconne where the person sounds like he is playing 4 violins at the same time. With everyone else it is only one. And I have also heard Milstein and Martzy there, after which I realized how Roy Gregory's reviews were all to be ignored

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
can't wait for Ron's speculations . . .:rolleyes:

If it weren't for the time it takes you to analyze and be annoyed by my speculations, y'all wouldn't have nuthin to do all day! :p

Reactions: Lagonda and Tango

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
No more than once. Though that wouldn't change it. I can see you will need to listen to multiple times to appreciate. And the second time I guessed who was playing correctly because it is the only chaconne where the person sounds like he is playing 4 violins at the same time. With everyone else it is only one. And I have also heard Milstein and Martzy there, after which I realized how Roy Gregory's reviews were all to be ignored
Twice! One night stander.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Btw a similar discussion happened when you dismissed Oistrakh Scottish Fantasia after listening to it on YouTube.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
If it weren't for the time it takes you to analyze and be annoyed by my speculations, y'all wouldn't have nuthin to do all day! :p

i'm at least amused, mostly entertained, and sometimes delighted to read your speculations and related questions.

don't hold back at all.:cool:

please.

Reactions: Tango

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i'm at least amused, mostly entertained, and sometimes delighted to read your speculations and related questions.

don't hold back at all.:cool:

please.

I think Ron, Peter, and Caesar should get a subforum for questions

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing