Zero Distortion: Tango Time

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Tang, your wife never visits you at work?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
So Tang, your wife never visits you at work?
She does from time to time to check if I have a different secretary. I once got a nanny for my son. My friends were jealous where I found her. The next day my wife fired her...hehe. Commander in Chief of USA is Trump. Mine is my wife.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Me and subs? 12 years of love/hate (or is that more, hate/despise) relationship w my Zus subs finally sorted a week ago.

What, you did a pole dance?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reactions: Lagonda

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
She does from time to time to check if I have a different secretary. I once got a nanny for my son. My friends were jealous where I found her. The next day my wife fired her...hehe. Commander in Chief of USA is Trump. Mine is my wife.
She'll have to crawl into those bass horns to make sure you aren't hiding somebody in there.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Was mingling with the cross over and adjustment quite a bit yesterday. The Lamm's are now on the bass horn...not the best place to be but will play around later. All equipments were unplugged for 2-3 weeks. Normally my system takes 3-4 days to get back from a break. It is sounding pretty good actually. This is quite a learning process. Ddk advised me a few things. I dont take his advises right out. Have no 30 yrs experience like him, Gian, Mike and others in this forum. So, I want to have fun and learn hearing everything myself with each change in variable at a time. :) The bass horns add physicality to the sound. I had great presence with the highs and micro details from my system, the bass horns seem to add presence and physicality further but from mid down. The tonal texture is denser. The bass is kind of like you dont hear it but you feel it. My friends with Magico subs said these bass horns are shit big huge but no grunt like his.

63B1D6D9-DBA9-44FD-ABAB-04016D0F1444.jpeg

Vinyl curtesy from Zerostargeneral on piano.

Vinyl curtesy from Zerostargeneral on violin.

Pure Cello

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, don't forget Ked. He's like the Yoda of WBF.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Was mingling with the cross over and adjustment quite a bit yesterday. The Lamm's are now on the bass horn...not the best place to be but will play around later. All equipments were unplugged for 2-3 weeks. Normally my system takes 3-4 days to get back from a break. It is sounding pretty good actually. This is quite a learning process. Ddk advised me a few things. I dont take his advises right out. Have no 30 yrs experience like him, Gian, Mike and others in this forum. So, I want to have fun and learn hearing everything myself with each change in variable at a time. :) The bass horns add physicality to the sound. I had great presence with the highs and micro details from my system, the bass horns seem to add these further but from mid down. It is kind of like you dont hear it but you feel it. My friends with Magico subs said these bass horns are shit big huge but no grunt like his.

View attachment 65737

Vinyl curtesy from Zerostargeneral on piano.

Vinyl curtesy from Zerostargeneral on violin.

Pure Cello

I don't know how much room you have but you might be better off spreading the amps on the floor in front of the speakers and bass horns.

david

Reactions: Tango

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Strange that You Tube manages to convey a sense of dynamics with these horn videos. Lovely violin.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, don't forget Ked. He's like the Yoda of WBF.
When I talk bass horn with him I always lose. His Altec FLH is the king for midbass down. He really listened a lot of bass drivers. Gian and I had been getting his feedbacks and info on different bass driver everyday for 6 months. Thank god he is now into cooking so I get a change seeing his wonderful home made dish. He sucks at describing food taste though. Also no good at presenting food on a dish. My purchase of these very expensive Cessaro TAD double 16" is silly to him. Infact all my purchase is silly to him given the cost and sound. Basically he said the sound is good but I should not have to pay this much to get this sound. He is right. But this is me. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, you're kinda a "can do, will do" guy.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Dear Tang,

how strong is your ceiling? are there joists there that could carry the 400 pounds of your amps?

if your ceiling is strong enough based on your floor real estate and the energy projection of the bass horns, suspending platforms with chains or braces might be the correct solution unless you want long speaker cable runs. ceilings can be very calm surfaces. and horns are very directional with their energy and that space above the bass horns is likely relative benign to the amps. and they would like the air around them to breathe.

might look pretty cool too......

just something to think about if you have not already been thinking about it. it is an out-of-box consideration. but you have large speakers in a medium space and amps that need their own large space.

something has to give somewhere.

best regards,

Mike

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

how strong is your ceiling? are there joists there that could carry the 400 pounds of your amps?

if your ceiling is strong enough based on your floor real estate and the energy projection of the bass horns, suspending platforms with chains or braces might be the correct solution unless you want long speaker cable runs. ceilings can be very calm surfaces. and horns are very directional with their energy and that space above the bass horns is likely relative benign to the amps. and they would like the air around them to breathe.

might look pretty cool too......

just something to think about if you have not already been thinking about it. it is an out-of-box consideration. but you have large speakers in a medium space and amps that need their own large space.

something has to give somewhere.

best regards,

Mike
I never thought of that Mike. Yes the ceiling is strong six inches concrete. Going vertical will involve no more buying of cables which is what I am avoiding. I will look into this approach. I could put my amps on the ground infront of my horns but people could trip walking in to talk work with me. The other way is to put amps on rack and place them where the Studer was standing. This I will have to buy a new pair of 8 meter speaker cables. Right now my amps are directly on the horns. No amp platform, no footers.

Appreciate the idea,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I never thought of that Mike. Yes the ceiling is strong six inches concrete. Going vertical will involve no more buying of cables which is what I am avoiding. I will look into this approach. I could put my amps on the ground infront of my horns but people could trip walking in to talk work with me. The other way is to put amps on rack and place them where the Studer was standing. This I will have to buy a new pair of 8 meter speaker cables. Right now my amps are directly on the horns. No amp platform, no footers.

Appreciate the idea,
Tang

nice about the concrete.:)

you might even make a cage out of plexi-glass of the right structure that would give your amps a 'floating' sort of look. and you could move the power supply chassis back and to the sides. lots of choices.

good luck, it could be a pretty special installation and in the context of your budget pennies to spend.

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Pardon me Sir Tang If I can shed some light?--setup looks great -I presume final set will move the Horns behind the mains--

Yes I can see the slight dilemma with 4 Amp Blocks but as you state so far, the sonics will increase fourfold with the final solution :)

Great listening!

BruceD
Light 1.jpg

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I still think a custom table that has legs that is just off of the bass horns is the simplest solution. Extra wide nothing rack?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

Appreciate the idea,
Tang
8m of Radio Shack speaker cable is cheap Tang:p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing