Zero Distortion: Tango Time

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

So tang whatsapped me this yesterday and I have listened to it repeatedly, because I can't get enough of it. The system and the bass section and the excitement is off the charts. I can just see why Mike started off on this, as his linearity to 5 Hz in that awesome room will also be off the charts

I have only heard this recording before in Mani's second system where it did not breathe and sounded compressed, but as that was his small system I thought that could have been a system compromise and would like to hear it elsewhere. I didn't find it harsh or thin there at all though.

On Tang's video, it is fabulous. Sure, everyone can want a little bit of this or that every recording, but rarely is it that the holistic realism is so high. This just swings. Look at the suspense and the range of the orchestra.

That said, Tang's ears are still in question because I tried listening to it on the mobile like he does and it sounds harsh, shrill, and thin.

I was waiting for him to upload but since he didn't I thought I would do it myself to say how good it sounds and that you cannot listen on a mobile

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
So this is a different video from the on Tang posted... both sound pretty good to me. I like the woodwinds a lot. It sounds like a decent classical recording. Most modern ones are free of distortion but sound thin and the vintage era ones sound compromised by the hardware but otherwise well executed. Given that we don't have that much to choose from on vinyl (i.e. we're mostly limited to recordings that are decades old) it's nice to have a (in theory) the best of both worlds.

Reactions: bonzo75

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sounds good/ natural tang , and it looks great with the wood diffusors and the rest in black .
I think the LAMMs deserve to be in the spotlight .
I still have an itch on how the ML 3 / LL 1 combo would sound on my speakers and how 32 watts would drive them :confused::)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So this is a different video from the on Tang posted... both sound pretty good to me. I like the woodwinds a lot. It sounds like a decent classical recording. Most modern ones are free of distortion but sound thin and the vintage era ones sound compromised by the hardware but otherwise well executed. Given that we don't have that much to choose from on vinyl (i.e. we're mostly limited to recordings that are decades old) it's nice to have a (in theory) the best of both worlds.

There could be more tonal colors, and maybe breath around each instrument but it is its own different presentation and overall with the system sounds great

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sounds good/ natural tang , and it looks great with the wood diffusors and the rest in black .
I think the LAMMs deserve to be in the spotlight .
I still have an itch on how the ML 3 / LL 1 combo would sound on my speakers and how 32 watts would drive them :confused::)
Thank you Andro. I am still skeptical if I should accept the first half of compliment.

The ML3 should be great for any higher efficiency speakers. It reproduces the sound of acoustic instruments superbly with exceptional differentiation. There is this different tonal dimension and contrast of instrument with clear air(air air air air air air...just to bug Folsom.) around that make what you listen to less homogeneous. I think if you could get the whole system chain from front to speakers less homogenous even simple music becomes interesting. I find the transparency of ML3 is uncanny with the Telefunken 12AX7. In other people's system, the Lamm could be dead quiet. But in mine I could still hear small tube artifacts and some time small hum if I put my ear close to the drivers. I had ground loop problem so I cheated solving problem by taking out ground leg of the power cords. So my system is not dead quiet like other people claimed theirs. But it is quiet enough to not distract me during listening. A second hand Lamm could come at a great price. I highly recommend anyone with higher efficiency speakers. You also don't need to get the ML3 if budget not allowed. The ML2 is also great. Much cheaper too. Used ones offer such great great value. I think ddk likes the ML2 first version very very much.

Thanks for showing the video of your system in another thread. It would be great if you could show a video playing tape in your room. Ked and I have no problem if you post it in this thread or in the what you think of this video thread.

Kind regards,
Tang

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
...I have experience with both the ML2 and the ML3, both are super; however, the ML2 is the Lammie sleeper of all time...

...the best part is that you do not have to put 4 boxes on your subs :)

vbw,
-a

Reactions: tima and ddk

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

So tang whatsapped me this yesterday and I have listened to it repeatedly, because I can't get enough of it. The system and the bass section and the excitement is off the charts. I can just see why Mike started off on this, as his linearity to 5 Hz in that awesome room will also be off the charts

I have only heard this recording before in Mani's second system where it did not breathe and sounded compressed, but as that was his small system I thought that could have been a system compromise and would like to hear it elsewhere. I didn't find it harsh or thin there at all though.

On Tang's video, it is fabulous. Sure, everyone can want a little bit of this or that every recording, but rarely is it that the holistic realism is so high. This just swings. Look at the suspense and the range of the orchestra.

That said, Tang's ears are still in question because I tried listening to it on the mobile like he does and it sounds harsh, shrill, and thin.

I was waiting for him to upload but since he didn't I thought I would do it myself to say how good it sounds and that you cannot listen on a mobile
Makes me wonder what’s up with those who said the recording was boring or poor. :confused:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I only listened on my mobile now (headphones are at work) and while the sound is obviously sub par on that, I can hear what an incredibly exciting performance this is! Fabulous!

Gosh, this is amazing!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thank you Andro. I am still skeptical if I should accept the first half of compliment.

The ML3 should be great for any higher efficiency speakers. It reproduces the sound of acoustic instruments superbly with exceptional differentiation. There is this different tonal dimension and contrast of instrument with clear air(air air air air air air...just to bug Folsom.) around that make what you listen to less homogeneous. I think if you could get the whole system chain from front to speakers less homogenous even simple music becomes interesting. I find the transparency of ML3 is uncanny with the Telefunken 12AX7. In other people's system, the Lamm could be dead quiet. But in mine I could still hear small tube artifacts and some time small hum if I put my ear close to the drivers. I had ground loop problem so I cheated solving problem by taking out ground leg of the power cords. So my system is not dead quiet like other people claimed theirs. But it is quiet enough to not distract me during listening. A second hand Lamm could come at a great price. I highly recommend anyone with higher efficiency speakers. You also don't need to get the ML3 if budget not allowed. The ML2 is also great. Much cheaper too. Used ones offer such great great value. I think ddk likes the ML2 first version very very much.

Thanks for showing the video of your system in another thread. It would be great if you could show a video playing tape in your room. Ked and I have no problem if you post it in this thread or in the what you think of this video thread.

Kind regards,
Tang
Sure .
My convergent set up isnt dead quit either .

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
By the way, I agree with those who insist that you need to listen over headphones in order to get any idea of the sound, insofar that is possible over a video with AAC or MP3 compressed digital sound.

Listening over computer speakers or even worse, a mobile phone, doesn't cut it.

Reactions: bonzo75

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017

Kind regards,
Tang
Interesting, since you can get a used pair of ML2.1 for <$10,000 USD. Thanks for putting this one on my radar.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting, since you can get a used pair of ML2.1 for <$10,000 USD. Thanks for putting this one on my radar.
At one point I did some research on the ML2 and learned that what you really want is ML2.0; the subsequent releases are not as good.

Reactions: advanced101

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
At one point I did some research on the ML2 and learned that what you really want is ML2.0; the subsequent releases are not as good.
Noted. Thank you.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

I’ve discussed this with Mr Lamm and he said there is little difference between the ML2 and 2.1 other than upgraded binding posts and a few parts. He said they sound identical.

Maybe @ddk can weight into this.

Reactions: advanced101

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
By the way, I agree with those who insist that you need to listen over headphones in order to get any idea of the sound, insofar that is possible over a video with AAC or MP3 compressed digital sound.

Listening over computer speakers or even worse, a mobile phone, doesn't cut it.

I listen with a slew of things depending on the time of day. And I have to say even on phone a LOT of character still transfers over.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I listen with a slew of things depending on the time of day. And I have to say even on phone a LOT of character still transfers over.

If I am outside I just save it on YouTube to watch later. Before this it was mainly Tang sharing good videos on this forum, so it was easy to come back and look at the thread when you had time to listen to the videos. But I strictly avoid listening on phone or passing comments based on that. The complex ones are sheer cacophony and poor in the lower half.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I’ve discussed this with Mr Lamm and he said there is little difference between the ML2 and 2.1 other than upgraded binding posts and a few parts. He said they sound identical.

Maybe @ddk can weight into this.
They’re basically the same amplifier and aside from a few nuances they sound equally good too.
david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing