Giant Custom Horn Systems - How they sound and issues with sonics

I definitely dream of one day building the ultimate system and room. I see what some of these crazy guys do with truly giant custom horn installations and they make me drool, but (like most of us) I've never had an opportunity to hear one of these crazy systems (see pics).

But I'm guessing at least a few of you have and others probably possess some theoretical engineering knowledge around the issues these giant horn systems might create, but I've never seen a thread that discusses the sonic pro's and con's of these systems.

Would love to hear some thoughts (even if it is just some pontificating on theory) regarding these types of installations. Let's discuss.

Comments

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The first one uses Altec 416 15" drivers + diy ribbon midrange + Goto tweeter
The other uses Altec 515G 15" drivers + Altec biflex midrange + JBL compression driver.
Are these originals or GPA altecs?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Are these originals or GPA altecs?
Original Altec, but both these systems don't exist anymore because both owners had to move for personal reasons.
My system is still active and has been improved up to last week.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Original Altec, but both these systems don't exist anymore because both owners had to move for personal reasons.
My system is still active and has been improved up to last week.
What drivers do you use in yours?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
What drivers do you use in yours?
I use today's drivers.
Neodym 15" driver for the bass horn, a 7" midrange in the large white horn (120Hz-4KHz) and a 1" driver in the small round horn for the treble.
It is a quasi coaxial system.
Also some subwoofers, based on 8 15" drivers in infinite baffle and one 18" driver in a 2.5m tall tapped horn.
The crossover is passive and the 3-way coax horn is driven by a Totaldac Amp-1 amplifier.

Loheswaran

Dec 20, 2014
Jeffrey, apparently anyone having disagreement with your thoughts is trolling...is that correct?? Like I said, if you like horns..well good for you, but others are not so enamored. Personally, I cannot stand the fact that all the horns I have heard image poorly, are shouty, are almost impossible to sound of a piece if utilized with any kind of dynamic subwoofer, and are completely unrealistic as to tone and timbre. Dynamic, yes they are indeed that...but music isn't just comprised of dynamics....musicality has to have some factor. All of the above IMHO. YMMV.
BTW, what value are you adding to this thread...???? Except to try and rationalize your love of horn speakers, LOL.

I'm just a casual observer in this thread, but if ur a dynamic driver kinda guy - how do you explain that Magicos top speaker is horn loaded - everything else infinite baffled boxes?

I've only heard horns at shows save when I heard some at length at a dealers home and found them to be very good in taking you to the live event particularly in terms of image (it might be because they were front firing and used a single driver)

I recall speaking to these two 'old guys' (trust me they seem to be younger now) and being told the the ultimate system they heard, which has never been matched was a horn that passed underneath the floor to the seated position.

My own question is who designs them - with something being made part of the architecture how are they calculated - you'd be up a creek without a paddle without the correct crossover etc

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing