KR 242, Elrog 300, px4, px25, EML and KR 5u4g, and KR 274b

Hi Ked - reading your earlier posts you seemed to say that the 45 and PX4 were similar. Do you feel they can each suit different types of music?

Hi not that similar in type, I meant in level. One could live with one or the other. I wouldn't be without one of those though. Px4 might have more bassy punch, while the Lampi 45s did seem to do other stuff a bit more. Sujay might be able to add more colour as he has been listening to both regularly now

A week ago KR PX-25 arrived and now I agree with Al Rainbow. It's a very clean sound tube, detailed and with and incredible middle bass, at least on my system. With the Tak regulator, of course. And I have to agree with Al on this too, the regulator is a very important on the Lampi final SQ.

Roch

Interesting findings today. I have been using the KR 5u4G together with the px4 for the last two weeks and I liked this pair so much that I didn't think about changing anything.
Today though I had some time and put back the Tak recti. My favorite recti so far. Well, not so much anymore. Somehow the KR is the better match now, bit more air and speed and leaner, more precise in the lower registers which is good for my system synergy.

This just goes to show, there is no universal truth when it comes to tubes or anything else for that matter, I guess.

You just saved me a ton of money

You just saved me a ton of money

Noooooooo, read my post again. YMMV...-:))

The KR does make some crankling hissing sound though which is audible from a foot or two away or so. Nothing dramatic and no obvious influence on the sonic results, just wanted to mention it. The Taka is dead silent.

This just goes to show, there is no universal truth when it comes to tubes or anything else for that matter, I guess.

Yup. And you'll change your mind about it again I expect. I do.

Whatever seems right on the day I think sometimes:)

This sizzling noise the KR 5u4g makes is starting to annoy me. Grrrrr...

Anyone else experiences this?

Luckily the Tak is quiet.

This sizzling noise the KR 5u4g makes is starting to annoy me. Grrrrr...

Anyone else experiences this?

Luckily the Tak is quiet.

Think you have a dud. No noise with my anni 5u4g.

I had a friend over last night who I trust 100% when it comes to critical listening. Sorry if I remain a bit vague here. What I wanted to say is that he agreed with me that the anni KR 5u4g is more transparent, less veiled and dark and thus the better tube in my system than the Takatsuki. Not bad at all for 1/3 of the price.

Amd wonder oh wonder no sizzling on the KR last night. Hifi is so full of surprises -:))

Hi, was at a local friend's last night who has a small room with Esoteric K01, Analog Domain integrated (same as Audiophile Bill), and Ubiq speakers, and top of the line Taras.

I have been to his place many times before, but this time wanted to try the various valves, and did quick dems, the PX25 was much better than PX24, and the 242 was much better than the Px25. The 242 was not distorting here (a lot of gain play making the difference), and showed to be clearer and more transparent, with better soundstage and dynamics. Loads of grip. The PX25 over the PX4 had much more soundstage, openness, bass and dynamics.

It is quite clear that one of PX25 or PX4 does better in a system depending on the gain. Tough to say which one without comparing. If 242 works, it is the best, but with GG has more risk of distorting, though not with B7.

The gain in the GG is lower after FW update, apparently...

Ask Bill to confirm as his was updated twice.

The gain in the GG is lower after FW update, apparently...

Ask Bill to confirm as his was updated twice.

Bill and I will confirm much more than that soon ;)

Bill and I will confirm much more than that soon ;)

are you guys saying that with a firmware upgrade (FW?) the gain gets lowered on my GG and my KR242's which had too much gain will now work? or did I miss something?

if true, how do I get this upgrade? 'firmware' typically is some sort of programing. I don't see any facility for inserting that.....so updated how?

are you guys saying that with a firmware upgrade (FW?) the gain gets lowered on my GG and my KR242's which had too much gain will now work? or did I miss something?

if true, how do I get this upgrade? 'firmware' typically is some sort of programing. I don't see any facility for inserting that.....so updated how?

Both Bill and this guy have the analog domain integrated and with this guy the 242 worked, I am soon taking it to Bill's to find out. I was not aware of the FW update but Bill has tried to optimize his for 242 and px25

NO, Bill has a R2R board and you have a chipless DSD only GG. The FW update is for the R2R engine.

Of course you could upgrade your GG to have R2R PCM and DSD256 as well as upgrade the chipless engine to DSD512 and I think you will be able to use the 242s on the R2R portion for sure. Perhaps he can also lower the gain on the chipless side too? Not sure, just speculating there.

Oh, and if you do an upgrade...make sure to get the Superclocks...an absolute no-brainer! This upgrade is a physical rebuild like changing your transmission system in the car...pull down rejig and reassemble. Something like a half day's work for a technician. As you are in the car business, you know that when you do such a teardown, you get ALL the things worked on that you could desire, as you dont do such a teardown frivalously!

NO, Bill has a R2R board and you have a chipless DSD only GG. The FW update is for the R2R engine.

Of course you could upgrade your GG to have R2R PCM and DSD256 as well as upgrade the chipless engine to DSD512 and I think you will be able to use the 242s on the R2R portion for sure. Perhaps he can also lower the gain on the chipless side too? Not sure, just speculating there.

thank you Norman. I knew I was missing something somewhere. I will consider the upgrades, maybe that time has come that there is a bit of a maturing moment in the forward march of changes. do you agree?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing