Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Marc,

I see no reason why the Extreme could shred the Yggy, it delivers simply a higher quality input for the Yggy.

I remember the days when Linn came up with their TOTL Ekos tonearm. They demoed it with their least expensive MM cartridge vs the Ittok tonearm and TOTL Troika MC cartridge, both with the same LP12.

The LP12 with Ekos always outperformed the other one.

Similar, IMO the Extreme with something like Yggy will outperform an inferior server with the best DAC.

Source First rules.......:)

Matt
Matt, as a nostalgia hound, it's SO good to meet up w people who remember the "good old days".

Yes, I'm sure I was at that demo. Linn absolutely dominated the "source first, and by a long way" mantra. They sold a shedload of LP12s over two decades.

Indeed, even in a hifi market fractured by lack of dealers/bricks and mortars stores, and changed habits on listening and buying and music delivery, and no dominating brands, and crazy stratospheric excess, maybe, just maybe the absolute glowing testimonials on Extreme and it's seeming reiteration of "source absolutely first" may switch the heirarchy from dac >> server totally around. That would be a shift in petception at least as amazing as Linn in 70s, where the belief was always loudspeakers >> tt. Linn switched that about. Maybe Extreme will do the same.

Indeed, even in a hifi market fractured by lack of dealers/bricks and mortars stores, and changed habits on listening and buying and music delivery, and no dominating brands, and crazy stratospheric excess, maybe, just maybe the absolute glowing testimonials on Extreme and it's seeming reiteration of "source absolutely first" may switch the heirarchy from dac >> server totally around. That would be a shift in petception at least as amazing as Linn in 70s, where the belief was always loudspeakers >> tt. Linn switched that about. Maybe Extreme will do the same.

Agree,
some forgot the Source First principle and think the DAC is the most important thing in digital audio.
Yes, the Extreme can do the same for digital what Linn did 40 years ago for analog.

Matt

Reactions: Taiko Audio
The only difference being that Linn actually wasn't the best source. But Extreme seemingly most defintely is.

Another thing that is amusing to consider is that the USB cbl now takes the place of a major component in the analogy of vinyl chain of command.

A lot of "Spirit" here today on 1st Xmas day... I don't very much understand the chats on the last pages,
but that will be me.
Imo we are talking about the Extreme and pls look at this topic name ^.

I think it's one of the best server's available at the moment. I won't combine it with a dac less than 10k. Not because of the price but because of the soundquality.

I think the Dac is at least as important as the server. If people don't want or can't spend more than 30k, i think people are way better of with a 10-15k Dac and a 15k server (hopefully the new Taiko server) or a (used) aurender W20 compared with a dac which can be used with a powerless usb cable (you will have much les jitter and other pollution).

Don't get me wrong, i very much like the Extreme. It is better than the W20 and all other servers i have heard.
But it really make sense combined with a great Dac.

Than it's ^ "the-crème-de-la-crème"... imo.

A lot of "Spirit" here today on 1st Xmas day... I don't very much understand the chats on the last pages,
but that will be me.

I think it's one of the best server's available at the moment. I won't combine it with a dac less than 10k. Not because of the price but because of the soundquality.

I think the Dac is at least as important as the server. If people don't want or can't spend more than 30k, i think people are way better of with a 10-15k Dac and a 15k server (hopefully the new Taiko server) or a (used) aurender W20 compared with a dac which can be used with a powerless usb cable (you will have much les jitter and other pollution).

Don't get me wrong, i very much like the Extreme. It is better than the W20 and all other servers i have heard.

Agreed, BUT if one's long range plan is to have the Extreme and a great DAC, BUT the current funds only allow for say $35K, why not get the Extreme with one of many pretty darn good sounding inexpensive dacs and enjoy really great sound for the period until you can upgrade the dac.

I would have to hear it of course to give an opinion, but I think that the Extreme/opimized with solid network with a decent dac will stand right up to a any $15K server/$15K Dac.

If you get the $15K/$15K package now and then want to upgrade later you probably will want to upgrade BOTH the server and dac.

Everyone has different situations, one can go with your suggestion or the Extreme route up front with a less expensive dac. Neither direction is right or wrong, just what works for each individual.

but that will be me.

Interesting comment as IIRC Emile has commented in this thread that a well built DAC will suffice with the Extreme and by the same corollary I have heard makers of uber expensive DACs state that there is no need for an uber expensive server.

Looking at the members here who have the Extreme there is a huge diversity in the DACs they use

FWIW until my new DAC arrives in a few weeks I am using a 12 year old Playback Designs MPS-5 and I can humbly say that it sounds fantastic.

So just because the Extreme is expensive IMO does not automatically mandate the use of an uber expensive DAC. Just my $0.02

Agreed, BUT if one's long range plan is to have the Extreme and a great DAC, BUT the current funds only allow for say $35K, why not get the Extreme with one of many pretty darn good sounding inexpensive dacs and enjoy really great sound for the period until you can upgrade the dac. ...

I agree with that.

I was responding on the use with 1-4k dac.

but that will be me.

Happy Xmas AQ. If WBF just wants to be glorified fanboi forum, it'll end up like Audio Exotics board. There, noone asks any Qs, just says how fantastic everything is, no exceptions.

The only reason I've persisted w my borderline devil's advocate arguments is the proposal put fwd that Extreme is more than just mere server. That it's so ahead of the competition it results in being more critical than the dac, esp the synergy w USB cbl. The fact it squeezes so much out of the æther, makes it way more the senior party in computer audio than the dac. And thus more akin to the tt/arm from an analog perspective, this situation able to get great sound with a cheaper cart.

All speculation is just that, and tbh as AQ has said, its pointless knocking the concept about. Unless and until an Extreme user runs with a sub $10k or even $5k dac, noone knows.

I agree with that.

I was responding on the use with 1-4k dac.

Agreed with that too:) BUT I would like to hear this dac, I've heard many people say it plays way above it's price point. I do know that surprising to me that when I use the Extreme with several integrated amps that happen to have a dac built in they sound surprisingly good and when listening I feel no desire to change to a separate dac.

Actually if someone is going to use one of the VG integrated amps that are now available that happens to have an internal dac, it's a great way to start. Get the Extreme and integrated and use the internal dac until they want to upgrade to a better dac. No trade-in loss.

So just because the Extreme is expensive IMO does not automatically mandate the use of an uber expensive DAC. Just my $0.02

That's why i wrote: " Not because of the price but because of the soundquality. "
I just gave my opinion with some experience.

Let's turn the Q around
Run laptop then medium quality server then Extreme into a superlative dac eg Select 2.

Or run $1k then $5k then $20k then $unlimited dacs thru Extreme.

Both blind trials.

My guess is the varied dacs into Extreme would sound much closer than varied servers into pricy dac.

Let's turn the Q around
Run laptop then medium quality server then Extreme into a superlative dac eg Select 2.

Both blind trials.

My guess is the varied dacs into Extreme would sound much closer than varied servers into pricy dac.

I never feel difference in this blind test.

AND

I never never feel difference in Same Type TURNTABLE BLIND TEST.

Meaningless....

Reactions: Kingsrule
I never feel difference in this blind test.

AND

I never never feel difference in Same Type TURNTABLE BLIND TEST.

Meaningless....
I wasn't suggesting it would ever happen. Just speculation.

Let's turn the Q around

Both blind trials.

After you turn the Q around, then you can turn it upside down, and sideways and then inside out. That will keep you busy:p

Reactions: bonzo75
Hey Bob, I've had a little alcoholic assistance today, so maybe not.

So how is it different from when you are sober
Ked, when tipsy, I'm blissfully unaware of party poopers. When sober, you re-enter my world.

Reactions: Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing