Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
True. This is the main reason for our more then generous upgrade / trade up program.
In agreement. Even in the event that the upgrade is impossible as of 2015 to Extrem, you take a 2015 for the purchase of Extrem. It is not usual at the manufacturer level.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In agreement. Even in the event that the upgrade is impossible as of 2015 to Extrem, you take a 2015 for the purchase of Extrem. It is not usual at the manufacturer level.

Many manufacturers have similar programs, or simply instruct dealers to carry them, and accept the returned product, that is sold at a discounted price after being checked.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
True. This is the main reason for our more then generous upgrade / trade up program.
Could you tell me what rating SGM 2015 gives to anyone who buys an Extreme SGM?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Many manufacturers have similar programs, or simply instruct dealers to carry them, and accept the returned product, that is sold at a discounted price after being checked.

Really? I'm not aware of many doing that, upgrading to newer versions sure, but actually taking back older models? Not even in the same product range?

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Could you tell me what rating SGM 2015 gives to anyone who buys an Extreme SGM?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, do you want to know the SGM 2015 trade in price towards an Extreme? If so it depends a bit on state, age and options, but around 2/3 of the purchasing price.

If you're asking about the Sound Quality delta, well it is really in a different class and therefor incomparable.

Please note the Extreme is not a successor to the SGM 2015, it is a new product, with different, no compromise, design goals. Like a Wilson Audio Sasha does not really compare to an Alexandria, or a MSB Premier is not a MSB Select.

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Hello

I understand all the development and the fine tuning of the Extreme have been done using R2R Dacs and most of the listening session described in the thread have also been done using R2R Dacs ( and top Tier ones...). Any experiences with the Extreme on non R2R DAC ?

Thanks
Alex

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello

I understand all the development and the fine tuning of the Extreme have been done using R2R Dacs and most of the listening session described in the thread have also been done using R2R Dacs ( and top Tier ones...). Any experiences with the Extreme on non R2R DAC ?

Thanks
Alex

Hello Alex,

Feedback on non R2R dac's is limited to the T+A Dac8 DSD, Nagra HD and Chord Dave so far.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Really? I'm not aware of many doing that, upgrading to newer versions sure, but actually taking back older models? Not even in the same product range?
Lampizator does that ;):cool:

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello Alex,

Feedback on non R2R dac's is limited to the T+A Dac8 DSD, Nagra HD and Chord Dave so far.

Can I conclude it was mainly on USB?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thanks for your answer Emile. Where could I read those feedbacks pls ?

Alex

It's not posted online afaik. Generally speaking I can tell you the type of dac and/or interface does not matter much relative to server quality. A higher quality server will just give you better sound overall. R2R, delta/sigma, usb, aes/ebu, ethernet, it all benefits from higher quality components.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, do you want to know the SGM 2015 trade in price towards an Extreme? If so it depends a bit on state, age and options, but around 2/3 of the purchasing price.
Yes, I was referring to the price. I think 2/3 is a good offer.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

wil

Jul 22, 2015
A general question about how to set up a music server in a system.

For the high end servers like the Taiko, Ldms, Innuous, Pink Faun: Is it a good idea to take noise isolation steps like locating the server some distance from other audio components and placing it on it's own dedicated circuit? Or is the noise isolation in such units and their Linear power supplies already sufficient?
I realize all the above mentioned units are not identical.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

For the high end servers like the Taiko, Ldms, Innuous, Pink Faun: Is it a good idea to take noise isolation steps like locating the server some distance from other audio components and placing it on it's own dedicated circuit? Or is the noise isolation in such units and their Linear power supplies already sufficient?

Good question. I am beginning to realise everything from your internet service from your provider (where it enter your house), has a BIG impact. The connection box at the entry, the router, then your ethernet cabling. And of course your power supply to those (normally cheap and nasty SMPS). Then finally your music server, player, PC or whatever you use, then your DAC.

In other words IMO we have to go right back to the house entry point and attack the noise and poor power supply, isolation etc, and probably the jitter in those cable / fibre optical boxes as well.

I am in the network player camp, the multi box route with ext clocking. I am not confident a one box (even expensive one) will fix all the hash we are getting in a typical domestic setting.

I tried to get away from multi boxes after some years with the USB to SPDIF fixers and later Ethernet fixers.

Still, a multi box solution should have the potential to sound fabulous, is flexible in it's approach and can be building blocks in nature, so buy boxes as you can afford them. I am very interested in the SOtM approach for my solution.

The music servers / players that are a closed system, small LCD screen and no way to build / mod or change anything, those are the ones I am least interested in myself.

Lastly, having read thousands of posts on head-fi, computer audiophile, on here, I find there is a common theme running through them in the quest for best sound via streaming. The power supply. It seems most folk, once they get a really good power supply hooked up to their streamer / server, things really take off. It seems the base requirement to get above the humble PC or laptop level of sound quality. Then isolation and clocking.

Anyway, my thoughts on this so far, I am still experimenting. But I believe good quality can be had for not crazy money, if you are up for some effort and inconvenience.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

We have designed the Extreme to perform well when located near your system. The 3 main differentiators are:
1) Powersupply interaction
2) Vibrational behaviour
3) Shielding of emissions

The hole pattern ventilation slots visible on the photos of the Extreme is not there for looks, it has a very large effect on 3) (and a bit on 2) as a bonus). These holes are "waveguides" which attenuate emissions by 81 dB which is around 10.000 times.

0da3c002-4561-4546-88d1-0ccd3c411277.JPG

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Still, a multi box solution should have the potential to sound fabulous, is flexible in it's approach and can be building blocks in nature, so buy boxes as you can afford them. I am very interested in the SOtM approach for my solution.

Pre SGM I used to have a multi "box" setup, I probably had between 15-20 "boxes" running in my system just for streaming. If you enjoy tweaking and fiddling around, this way gives you virtually unlimited tweaking potential. Total setup cost was way over SGM retail though o_O

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Pre SGM I used to have a multi "box" setup, I probably had between 15-20 "boxes" running in my system just for streaming. If you enjoy tweaking and fiddling around, this way gives you virtually unlimited tweaking potential. Total setup cost was way over SGM retail though o_O
I am looking at 5 boxes, 2 power supplies, the SOtM 200 network player, USB filter and ext 10mhz clock.

Just found an interesting tweak today. Romaz on head-fi managed to bridge his Mac mini ethernet ports so he could connect the 200 Ultra direct and it could still access the internet for streaming. He reckons there was a big jump in sound quality. And this tweak would be almost zero cost.

Lots to look into.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Hello

Thanks
Alex

I tested SGM Extreme with Dave, Manhattan II, and Directstream.

SGM Extreme makes good sound with upper three Delta-Sigma DACs.

Personally, I don't like Dave because Dave sound is sensational, so easily tired.

SGM Extreme makes Dave sound softer and more comfortable.

As my thought, the best matching DAC with Extreme is Directstream.

Directstream sound is originally very good.

SGM Extreme can reach out Directsream's potential level.

Also, Extreme covers Dave and Manhattan II's weak points.

Best matching DAC is Directstream, but I think Dave users are the most satisfied with SGM Extreme.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing