Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Mike, agreed. But Emile's baby is a model of true lack of clutter and engineering hygiene in comparison.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I totally understand the concern of comparing competitors pictures on the forum.

SOMusic, would you be willing to private message me the pictures? I don’t know if that’s possible from this site?

I’m really just curious. I’ve never seen such an impressive layout as on this Taiko. That’s not to say a competitor can’t produce a comparable or better product with a less fastidious internal lay out.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Most of the audiophile servers/streamers have their internal photos on internet.
Google will find out all of them.

But please don't post them here.
I prefer peaceful sharing/discussion.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Fantastic machine. It looks like real hiend gear.
Will have to start collect cash to get one :)
From the pictures I see only one disadvantage
Why do you use asus hyper m2 ?

There is much better solution : ASRock Hyper Quad m2
It has shorter trace , lower temperature ( 10 degree ! So less noize), better cooling, utility to controll fan speed and other factors .....
and separate 12v supply for this 4 m2 chips.
Did you try AS Rock?
If so why you chose Asus ?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Thank you.
Yes.
Because it’s better.

Thank you.

Also coud you please tell us if there is optical fibre internet card as standard here ?

I use to cover the memory chips with metal cover to protect the RF that is generated . Did you try it?
It was very effective

For what kind of options is the 12+5v supply on the lateral wall . (Very smart you did it !)

Do you still recommend the internal music storage on m2 ?
How far is the tidal / qubose SQ from the SQ of the internal stored files ?

Is totaldac you use (twelve) the best performer ?
If so please let me ask what connection you use ?
USB , Ethernet, AES or Spidf ?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Also are you using VROC (virtual Raid on cpu) with intel on this ?
What are the read speeds you were able to reach ?
The potential reaches 128 GB ps and that could make a gigantic difference in SQ in comparison to any SSD.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Kris,

I understand your enthusiasm on computer hardware specs. I myself have been both a computer enthusiast and audiophile since my early youth. I chose IT as my professional career but am ultimately a more passionate audiophile which is why I took the gamble to quit my job and start a hifi company.

Ultimately better numbers do not directly translate into better sound.

With that said here are the answers to your questions:

-The Extreme comes with a fibre channel interface by default. It is ultimately the superior way to go if setup right.
-In the original sgm we machined custom heatsinks for memory modules, we stopped doing that in the EVO and Extreme as we discovered the actual reasons behind the improved sound quality and started adressing those at their source.
-The additional +5 and +12V is for possible future technology, we don’t need it now but we feel it’s important to have consumer mountable extension / upgrade options.
-Depending on network setup my pecking order for SQ is: 1) local pcie m2 based storage, 2) audiophile nas, qobuz 3) local ssd storage, 4) nas, tidal. Note there are many variables influencing the outcome.
-I reckon totaldac and msb offer the current sota dac’s. With the Extreme I get the best results to Totaldac D1-twelve mk2 with USB, with SGM2015 and SGM EVO I get better results with AES/EBU.
-VROC is only necessary to boot from a drive RAID array. The Extreme uses the drives in CPU data mode, meaning you cant boot from them, but you can easily extend your storage volume from within the OS. It’s around 4* SSD speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

wil

Jul 22, 2015
"-Depending on network setup my pecking order for SQ is: 1) local pcie m2 based storage, 2) audiophile nas, qobuz 3) local ssd storage, 4) nas, tidal. Note there are many variables influencing the outcome."

This quote from the post above caught my attention. Surprisingly, #2 on the list is streaming through Qobuz. The conventional wisdom that I'm aware of has always been that Cd rips to SSD were the best, followed by downloads to SSD. Streaming, whether Tidal or Qobuz, has always been considered at the bottom.

I wonder if this is an improvement in the processing of streamed files unique to the Taiko Servers?
Would this apply to the SGM Evo and the SGM2015 models as well? I'm particularly interested in how this applies to an ethernet network.

Can you elaborate on this? Thanks,

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Good spot Will and it is a situation that applies to all the SGM / Taiko servers as they were all developed for Tidal streaming to give similar SQ to NAS storage. In fact, that is how I have always used mine, streaming from Tidal. Roon was updated earlier this year to work with Qoboz and I have heard from a couple of people that it does sound noticeably better than Tidal though I have yet to make the transition myself.

Whilst on this subject, some care with your network implementation eg lps on router / good lan cable has a rewarding payback. The SGM is quite responsive to clean power (though not as much as the lampi dacs) and a decent cord plus SR Blue fuse are also worthwhile.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
"-Depending on network setup my pecking order for SQ is: 1) local pcie m2 based storage, 2) audiophile nas, qobuz 3) local ssd storage, 4) nas, tidal. Note there are many variables influencing the outcome."

This quote from the post above caught my attention. Surprisingly, #2 on the list is streaming through Qobuz. The conventional wisdom that I'm aware of has always been that Cd rips to SSD were the best, followed by downloads to SSD. Streaming, whether Tidal or Qobuz, has always been considered at the bottom.

I wonder if this is an improvement in the processing of streamed files unique to the Taiko Servers?
Would this apply to the SGM Evo and the SGM2015 models as well? I'm particularly interested in how this applies to an ethernet network.

Can you elaborate on this? Thanks,

Hi Wil,

I used to rate Tidal higher, I have downrated it because of the increasing MQA (grainy/harsh) and remaster (often compressed) content. Although the original recordings are usually available I find it annoying to have to check which version of an album I have selected.

With that said, a good internet connection and decent networking setup helps a lot increasing network based source sound quality, this will even increase local storage playback quality, though to a less extend then anything networked. And yes we have put in an effort to increase internet based streaming source quality relative to local storage/nas.

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Agree to not starting a photo shootout in here.

Emile, your product looks truly exotic!

It looks not so much just attention to detail, but also the workmanship, top notch right to the choice of film bypassing with rather spendy capacitors and resonance tuning in the power supply is just unthinkable to be ever available from any other server.

I am sure with such care in parts selection, build and finishing, you have a product which will have a one of a kind sonic sundae.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, I see some Panzerholz within the Extreme. Would it have been fruitful to make the whole structure/casework of the unit out of Panzerholz?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, your product looks truly exotic!

It looks not so much just attention to detail, but also the workmanship, top notch right to the choice of film bypassing with rather spendy capacitors and resonance tuning in the power supply is just unthinkable to be ever available from any other server.

I am sure with such care in parts selection, build and finishing, you have a product which will have a one of a kind sonic sundae.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, I see some Panzerholz within the Extreme. Would it have been fruitful to make the whole structure/casework of the unit out of Panzerholz?

Heat management and shielding would become an issue, Panzerholz is also rather "rough" looking. I'll attach some photo's to give you an idea. It's also much harder to machine then Aluminium, we use a CNC machine designed to machine stone, like granite kitchen tops. It would actually be a an even more expensive solution. So we went for damping in critical locations. There's more Panzerholz in there then visible on the photos along with several other measures.

TaikoAudio_Daiza_F.jpg

TaikoAudio_Daiza_B.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, I smile to myself everytime I look at the Panzerholz under my Zus. My lovely Ra thinks I'm in too deep into this hobby LOL.

I see that LessLoss are big into Panzerholz casework, incl their dac and Laminar streamer (only 4x pricier than yr Extreme LOL).

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, I smile to myself everytime I look at the Panzerholz under my Zus. My lovely Ra thinks I'm in too deep into this hobby LOL.

I see that LessLoss are big into Panzerholz casework, incl their dac and Laminar streamer (only 4x pricier than yr Extreme LOL).

Oh yes of course, you know how it looks. In lessloss defence, Panzerholz really is a PITA to work with. We wore out our first CNC machine in less then a year. We went through 3 high speed spindles and all axes and motors needed revision. We definitely lost money on the first few 100 Daizas and Setchis ;)

Reactions: Esotar and CKKeung

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Oh yes of course, you know how it looks. In lessloss defence, Panzerholz really is a PITA to work with. We wore out our first CNC machine in less then a year. We went through 3 high speed spindles and all axes and motors needed revision. We definitely lost money on the first few 100 Daizas and Setchis ;)

The people at the factory warned me a few years ago about it. Panzerholtz is widely used in industry and is considered to have high workability but you must have the proper tools and knowledge. The modeling industry were the only people I could find that could consider working with it.

At that time my interest was not audio, but Panzerholz can be used as a shield to neutrons - it is made from phenolic resin and hardwood in a plywood structure having essentially light atoms, but it is heavy. The density is about half of aluminum - fortunately much lighter than the lead usually used in bricks to shield the gamma radiation. Should we suppose that screening from neutrons improves sound quality? ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing