Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
But can we assume that even using async modes we get an improvement just synchronizing the clocks of both systems when using systems with a clock input? Do you have any phase noise measurements of your 10 MHz clock output?

To make sure we're on the same page here: For async modes the benefit would be limited to the total system noise turning out lower as XO timing precision would be "irrelevant" in our case, right?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
To make sure we're on the same page here: For async modes the benefit would be limited to the total system noise turning out lower as XO timing precision would be "irrelevant" in our case, right?

Yes, but it seems to me that synchronizing all clocks would avoid beat modes that could be produced by the noise carried by the async signals.

My second question only concerned the possibility of using the Extreme clock as an external clock in the Vivaldi stack.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Yes, but it seems to me that synchronizing all clocks would avoid beat modes that could be produced by the noise carried by the async signals.

My second question only concerned the possibility of using the Extreme clock as an external clock in the Vivaldi stack.

Ah ok, I can see where that went wrong. The Extreme has no 10M clock output. We use a different, undisclosed, mechanism which makes internal XO quality irrelevant.

What I talked about earlier in the thread is we are looking into external clocking solutions with extremely low phase noise. These would have to be lower frequency then typically used for USB and/or ethernet without "frequency conversion" to possibly net positive.

This would be a very costly solution as the XO quality required is not available off the shelf, and even worse would need to be cherry picked / selected, the best of the best, compare to what Cybershaft is doing with their OP grades.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, I can't comment on the tech, but that is one fastidious, clean, organised looking machine. I've seen the inside of a couple of other well respected servers, incl one for €14k that is a nest of cables, so busy.

The only other server that comes close to the Extreme's level of uber unclutteredness is the Fidata. But I'm sure your's has the edge in performance at the very least.

Would be fascinating to see inside the Wadax server.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Waiting patiently and now even more so!!! Really looks EXTREME, Emile.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I think only brand that can make perfect music server by world best quality parts is Taiko Audio.

Emile is selling invincible music server by fantastic price.

Only Emile can do this.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I got a glimpse of the interior of the Extreme about 2 months ago but have promised the Hong Kong dealer not to talk too much about it until Emile has given formal announcement and photo release.

Now everyone shall agree with me that its internal construction/arrangement is at least 4 or 5 years ahead of any other brands.
Very difficult for other brands to follow because IMHO the Extreme is underpriced!

It's quite unbelievable that such a small boutique brand can have such great design/idea and great implementation.
Emile : I salute you!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I got a glimpse of the interior of the Extreme about 2 months ago but have promised the Hong Kong dealer not to talk too much about it until Emile has given formal announcement and photo release.

Now everyone shall agree with me that its internal construction/arrangement is at least 4 or 5 years ahead of any other brands.
Very difficult for other brands to follow because IMHO the Extreme is underpriced!

It's quite unbelievable that such a small boutique brand can have such great design/idea and great implementation.
Emile : I salute you!

no. not unbelievable at all to me.

for over a year i interacted with Emile (and Ed) regarding, first the optimization of the Herzan TS units, which morphed into the Dazia platforms, then ultimately into the Taiko Tana active systems. their degree of relentlessness was way over the top, and just when they thought they were at the end they doubled down and found more performance. and did that again a few more times. they considered every little variable, and used science to measure each step and lots of listening.

there were a number of dead ends involved, but that did not stop them.

at one point i asked them if the effort they were putting into this project was worth it. they did not hesitate to say yes. it looked like a thankless pursuit. yet they achieved what they set out to do. my hat is off to them.

it takes that hunger to discover what can be done when you are fully all in. and they are. and....they are out of box thinkers.

the SGM Extreme is no surprise.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There's a very tasty new dac out there, the APL DSD MR. I would like to hear that on the Extreme.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for your kind words everybody. It means a lot!

Emile - the Extreme looks an epic build. A quality I don’t think I have seen.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have just seen the interior of a direct competitor to EVO and Extreme, ballpark price of SGM. The comparison is so poor, it's laughable.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Would you be willing to share the pictures of this un-named competitor?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'll check w the member here who posted me the photos. But take it as read it certainly looks a stark comparison.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing