Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Extreme Serial and Batch will pass data to all ASIO compliant USB drivers
Ed

what is the buffer capacity of the serial and batch players

I know you said 20 files for the batch. I’m getting that as well on the serial player

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I was thinking same. Once Emile and team finish finalizing USB details with the new Taiko USB card, I'd be quite keen to explore a USB to dual SPDIF converter. The USB chipset on DAVE is definitely one of the weakest points in the system

Chord's tendency to cheap out on critical things like power supply and USB chipset in a $10k+ flagship DAC is very disappointing. We can fix the power issue, but fixing USB is much harder. I'm keen to take a crack at it though

Indeed but driver licensing fees can be substantial, it could raise the Dave’s retail by 10% or even more which is not insignificant. A better powersupply would probably double it. I do think it was designed to it’s current pricepoint. If anybody is using a stock Dave, do hop over to audiophile style to read @ray-dude ’s latest thesis, and do replace that powersupply, link: Reality Quest: Power and Digital Audio with the Sean Jacobs DC4 and Sound Application PGI TT-7

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Does your Extreme Player or Gapless Player require your USB driver? Can one use driver come from Chord with DAVE?

It does not require our USB driver, our USB driver merely facilitates additional enhancements over stock vendor supplied drivers. Now do note our player already features several enhancements which work with all USB ASIO drivers. It uses a different approach then other players which is how we feel data should be handled, this is simply the outcome of a thorough investigation, and maybe even more important, lots of listening.

Reactions: oldmustang

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Ed

what is the buffer capacity of the serial and batch players

I know you said 20 files for the batch. I’m getting that as well on the serial player

The difference is with serial, each track in your queue is processed individually right before playback where batch processes your entire queue before the first track plays. The difference might not be that noticable for local storage Redbook files, but it will be noticeable for online streaming or large files like for example DSD256.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I'm signed up for the Beta and I'm currently running a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8C active speakers so the DAC is in the speaker. The speakers are connected together with AES and one is connected to a Lumin U1 Mini by AES. The Extreme is connected via ethernet to an ER which feeds the Lumin and the speakers so there is no direct USB or AES connection to the Extreme. Will I be able to get the TAS player?

Thanks for the info. I currently just have the The MSB Network Renderer V2 but I will see if I can try out the MSB USB Inputs or the PROISL. Maybe pickup a USB from Mark while I'm at it or go Fiber... Thanks again.

Both the Lumin U1 and the MSB Renderer V2 are Roon endpoints. You can only drive them using a Roon core.

The network endpoints you can use with TAS are Ravenna (Merging DACs) and HQPlayer NAA.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Both the Lumin U1 and the MSB Renderer V2 are Roon endpoints. You can only drive them using a Roon core.

The network endpoints you can use with TAS are Ravenna (Merging DACs) and HQPlayer NAA.
Right, I figured that out. So to get the TAS driver involved I may have to remove the lumin and go fiber>Extreme>USB>Berkeley Alpha USB>AES D&D 8C. Does that work?

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Or fiber>ER>ethernet>Extreme>USB>Berkeley Alpha USB>AES>D&D. I could then run ethernet from the ER to each D&D which is useful for tuning. Seem OK?

CDub

Jan 23, 2018

Thanks I appreciate the response. All things consider would I be better served with the PROISL module or the USB module from MSB? Thanks again

Reactions: EuroDriver

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
But isn’t coaxial is limited to 24 bit compared to USB 32bit?

That is a very good question. I don't if that restriction is on the mScaler side or the DX input side of DAVE. Internally, DAVE is 32 bit, so I hope the DX inputs support same. All TBD

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015
The USB chipset on DAVE is definitely one of the weakest points in the system

No worries, maybe you'll take a trip to Covina at some point and then it won't be a problem anymore? Eventually your system might look closer to this down the road

https://www.facebook.com/TaikoAudio...ulder-vimberg-ultimate-audio-/526128508266069
https://www.facebook.com/TaikoAudio...ulder-vimberg-ultimate-audio-/925851164520197

https://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-dave-da-processor-measurements
The output impedance from the unbalanced and headphone jacks was extraordinarily low, at <0.5 ohm. The balanced output impedance was a still-low 66 ohms at all audio frequencies.

https://www.audioexotics.com/wp-con...adax-Atlantis-Reference-Dac-Review.pdf#page=8
Outputs: Balanced on XLR jacks

Output impedance: 0.15 ohms, 10 ohms, 50 ohms, 75 ohms, 600 ohms, user selectable
https://www.audioexotics.com/wp-con...adax-Atlantis-Reference-Dac-Review.pdf#page=9
A forthcoming software update will provide 16 levels of output impedance rather than the five levels in the review sample’s software.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/dave/
1% THD 6.8v RMS with 33? (1.4w)

https://www.audioexotics.com/wp-con...adax-Atlantis-Reference-Dac-Review.pdf#page=8
variable output impedance, variable output voltage (1V, 2V, 4V)
https://www.audioexotics.com/wp-con...adax-Atlantis-Reference-Dac-Review.pdf#page=9
The analog output stage reportedly plays a large role in the Reference DAC’s sound. It is a three-stage discrete differential circuit that can deliver a robust 1W of output power—a level far higher than that needed to drive a preamplifier’s input.

Could Reference DAC really handle those Vox 4D transducers easily, without voiding the warranty or something?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Emile
As much I am happy with TAS beta now, my system still needs the
TotalDAC specyfic USB driver that you optimise for most of top brands.
How much this driver will improve the SQ in your opinion and when that one is expected to
join the Taiko Family ?

CDub

Jan 23, 2018
If you want the ultimate interface, go with the MSB Pro USB to ISL.
Hi, I have a clarification question, if I could. I went back and read the post in the MSB owns section of WBF and I get this part just fine.

1611505561750.png

But what I have not been able to determine is the following: could I have the same SQ using TAS if I went ISL directly from the SGM Extreme to the MSB Pro ISL module? Or is the Pro USB interface needed?

Just trying to see if I have to purchase both units or if I can just go fiber directly from the SGM to the MSB dac, skipping the pro USB interface all together.

Assuming I can use the ISL card installed on the SGM Extreme that is.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210124-113228_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210124-113228_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
@CDub the card in the Extreme is just a regulare network card with a SFP port it has nothing to do with ISL that MSB uses. The ISL solution is something that just works between MSB products so you need both the ISL card in the DAC and the box that converts USB to ISL.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing