Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

It would not be that hard to add a disk space free/usage feature to XDMS, placed on the wannahave list.
I was kind of hoping for an XDMS feature on the TAS wannahave list:cool:

@Taiko,

this confuses me a bit.
even though the JLsounds may support 32 bit, the TotalDAC system it feeds does not and only supports 24 bit.
so why 32 bit?

I tried 24 and it is worst.
Jlsounds accepts upto 32 bit on USB INPUT but converts it to whatever you want. SPIDF, AES, I2s,
In my case output is spidf so it converts it to 24 any way .
There is no spidf or aes with 32 bit.
You would need double aes for that ( DCS DACs).

It will be the same in your case.
But you can try to swich between 24 and 32 . It will work just fine.

Reactions: cat6man
<Sound of hand slapping forehead>

Doh!

Why didn't I think of that? I do it all the time to see the free space of my Mac's internal drive, attached drives and NAS' and thumb drives.

The Mac "Get Info" function (File > Get Info > (highlighted Extreme "Music" folder on the Mac desktop) gives this result:

View attachment 95813

Couldn't be much easier and no VNC into the Extreme desktop required.

Tip of the hat to @dminches!

Steve Z
Yes, a known function but I want to see how much is used/available on each drive in my Extreme..

Yes, a known function but I want to see how much is used/available on each drive in my Extreme..

What do you mean by “each” drive? All the storage drives are combined into 1 array in a standard Extreme setup. Is yours different? There is a separate OS drive but I am not sure why one needs to know how much space is available there.

What do you mean by “each” drive? All the storage drives are combined into 1 array in a standard Extreme setup. Is yours different? There is a separate OS drive but I am not sure why one needs to know how much space is available there.

Yes his is different as a result of replacing 2TB with 8TB drives versus how much time we wanted to invest into storage migrations. Where before we had machines with 12 2TB drives for 24TB (4 or 8TB drives were not available in the first years of the Extremes life), we now more often have machines with 4 or 8TB drives for 32 or 64TB of internal storage (using 8 drives).

Yes his is different as a result of replacing 2TB with 8TB drives versus how much time we wanted to invest into storage migrations. Where before we had machines with 12 2TB drives for 24TB (4 or 8TB drives were not available in the first years of the Extremes life), we now more often have machines with 4 or 8TB drives for 32 or 64TB of internal storage (using 8 drives).

So his drives are defined as different logical devices?

Hi Emile, Could you please share good 8 TB drives that replace the 2TB?

Unless you already have 2 Asus Hyper cards installed you may find that it is cost effective to buy another one and add 2 TB drives instead of getting 8 TB drives which are very expensive. I guess it depends on how much total storage space you need.

The 8 TB drives are 7x the cost but only 4x the storage.

Yes I have one Hypercard with 4 2TB drives and another with 2 8TB drives (with 2 open slots available). Total 24TB

So Emile would there be any sonic advantage to just have one Hypercard in my Extreme (adding 2 more 8TB drives to my current one) for a total of 32TB and eliminating the second Hypercard?

Unless I'm missing something shouldn't each volume show up on the network once you log into your Extreme from the Mac desktop (Finder Menu: Go > Connect To Server > (volume list)?

Same process -- mount the volume, then Get Info. Works on the two volumes that comprise my Extreme's storage "drives"

Steve Z

Shows as one volume....

Is it configured as one volume? In Roon do you have to select multiple drives for the system to pull in all your music?

Is it configured as one volume? In Roon do you have to select multiple drives for the system to pull in all your music?
I thought all music is on drive D in the Extreme

I thought all music is on drive D in the Extreme

Only if that’s how the drives are configured in the Exteme. It doesn’t “have” to be that way.

Reactions: Cyrus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing