Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio Ah that makes perfect sense. Yes, I use DACs for all of my 10/40G connections within 5m of the main L3 switch. Any significant difference between brands for DAC cables? passive better over active i assume?

I'm now anticipating all the audiophile cable makers working on their premium DAC cables lol...

Passive, active increases power consumption (and therefor noise). Did not observe anything dramatic between DAC cables but did not spend a lot of time comparing them either, they’re all dramatically better then any RJ45 terminated UTP or STP cable though, for by now hopefully obvious reasons!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@Taiko Audio Emile, I was wondering what your view is on local files vs streaming sound quality with the switch and card, assuming both file sets are identical as far as bit depth/resolution and mastering? Is there a theoretical basis for thinking that streaming could sound better given the data stream processing it encounters vs. what happens to local files?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
For anyone that is using XDMS but NOT on the discord channel -

The latest updates, ESPECIALLY the back-end updates takes XDMS to another sonic level. IT IS NOT SUBTLE.

Of course everyone's system/network is different and results vary, BUT if you do not have the latest back-end updates please send and email to support@taikoaudio.com and get scheduled to get the latest back-end updates.

After you are updated please report back what you are hearing.

My personal experience, with my system, room, network, ears etc is that the latest updates have made more of a jump in sonics than when I switched from Roon to TAS (long time ago) and then even from TAS to XDMS.

There is concurrence on the Discord channel about the latest updates, but curious to hear other XDMS user's opinions.

Edit- The most noticeable attributes of the latest back-end updates in my system, where the speakers are 2.5M from the back wall is 3D-HOLIGRAPHIC DIMENSIONALITY. Secondly BASS. If your system is not set up to present a 3D holographic soundstage, you might not get the effects that I am experiencing. There is also MORE RESOLUTION AND TRANSAPRENCY.

Of course YMMV depending on your system/set up.
If you could post the version of XDMS you are referring to, especially the iOS app version, that would be great. There have been at least 2 back-end updates, so it’s not clear which one you are referring to.
What I’m seeing in TestFlight as of this morning is 0.0.1 (18).

Reactions: ACHiPo

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you could post the version of XDMS you are referring to, especially the iOS app version, that would be great. There have been at least 2 back-end updates, so it’s not clear which one you are referring to.
What I’m seeing in TestFlight as of this morning is 0.0.1 (18).

The backend version has a file date of 12/1 or so.

The control apps do not really affect sound quality. They are more about functionality.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
It's an Obi satellite with a LPS . The satellite has 3 ethernet ports. I take an ethernet cable out from the satellite to the Extreme and I have never had an issue. I do believe Emile however that his pending updates will take the network to a whole new level so I'm all in thanks to Emile
I have a similar setup but with Eero satellites (I had Obi but find Eero much less buggy).
Current:
Router -> Eero -> [WiFi] -> Eero -> Ethernet to Extreme
Would this be the suggested new connection:
Router -> Eero -> [WiFi] -> Eero -> Ethernet to Taiko Switch -> Connection to Extreme

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The backend version has a file date of 12/1 or so.

The control apps do not really affect sound quality. They are more about functionality.
Ah ok, so the iOS app can be used with more than one backend version.
I guess I need an update to the backend then, which must be done by Ed?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio Emile, I was wondering what your view is on local files vs streaming sound quality with the switch and card, assuming both file sets are identical as far as bit depth/resolution and mastering? Is there a theoretical basis for thinking that streaming could sound better given the data stream processing it encounters vs. what happens to local files?

The goal is to get streamed file playback on the same level as local file playback. Contrary to what you’d expect this is much easier to achieve with Roon then it is with XDMS due to the rather dramatic lower overall noise floor, I think you’re running the alpha and can understand what I mean with this. In Roon “smaller” differences are smoothed over / get buried. So although there’s code running in XDMS to reduce these differences, what’s left is magnified / more ruthlessly exposed. However we do know how to address and most likely solve this, but right now this is still on the to code list. On the hardware side the Router can actually play a big part in this remaining piece of the puzzle for both Roon and XDMS as well.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Ah ok, so the iOS app can be used with more than one backend version.
I guess I need an update to the backend then, which must be done by Ed?
The backend updates are available for download on the Discord XDMS Testers Group under Executable, backend

If you are more comfortable with having us do the patch, send an email to support@taikoaudio.com with the TeamViewer ID and pw of your Laptop/ Desktop or your Extreme

Nsxturbo

Aug 17, 2020
I never got the discord invite although I requested it. I’m comfortable doing the update myself but need access to the discord group please.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The goal is to get streamed file playback on the same level as local file playback. Contrary to what you’d expect this is much easier to achieve with Roon then it is with XDMS due to the rather dramatic lower overall noise floor, I think you’re running the alpha and can understand what I mean with this. In Roon “smaller” differences are smoothed over / get buried. So although there’s code running in XDMS to reduce these differences, what’s left is magnified / more ruthlessly exposed. However we do know how to address and most likely solve this, but right now this is still on the to code list. On the hardware side the Router can actually play a big part in this remaining piece of the puzzle for both Roon and XDMS as well.

I think you are closer than you think. I have been running the XDMS alpha since you guys made it available.

Today I compared a ripped CD of a Blue Mitchell album to the Qobuz version. Both 16/44.1. Same mastering as far as I can tell. I think I prefer the Qobuz version. This should only improve with the switch and card.

Kudos.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I can do them myself if shown how. I’ll send an email and join the Discord. Thanks!
When you get to the Discord channel, take a look in #backend. There you will find the links to download the two XDMS patches, xdmsserv.exe and xdms.exe. Also in that topic there is a step by step set of directions to install the two files.

Pretty easy, even this Mac user was able to accomplish it without problem.

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you need help.

Steve Z

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
When you get to the Discord channel, take a look in #backend. There you will find the links to download the two XDMS patches, xdmsserver.exe and xdmsplayer.exe. Also in that topic there is a step by step set of directions to install the two files.

Pretty easy, even this Mac user was able to accomplish it without problem.

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you need help.

Steve Z
Thanks Steve!
Ha! I can relate to the Mac user comment.
The Extreme is the only Windows machine I’ll use!

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmustang

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
My visit coincided with the release of a new XDMS update which Emile advised was a significant upgrade over the previous iteration, the product of some six weeks of recoding. Emile said only one customer had this version of XDMS at the time of my visit on 23 November.

Michael

Congrats on your fun visit Michael.

Emile---is that Nov 23 xdms version, which was not in general alpha test use at that time, still awaiting us or do we testers already have it (I e. The reason we have been raving about recent backend updates)?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Congrats on your fun visit Michael.

Emile---is that Nov 23 xdms version, which was not in general alpha test use at that time, still awaiting us or do we testers already have it (I e. The reason we have been raving about recent backend updates)?

You have it now, no worries, plenty more to come :)

I’m actually not sure which to-do list is longer / has more coding remaining, functionality or sound quality improvements.

Last edited:

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
You have it now, no worries, plenty more to come :)

I’m actually not sure which to-do list is longer / has more coding remaining, functionality or sound quality improvements.

The Alpha experience on Discord has been a lot of fun this fall. I suspect many of us wouldn't have believed the player design could have this level of impact. And thanks for delivering some great updates for the holiday season :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing