Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
@Taiko Audio, as I have already submitted the preorder to my dealer for the Switch + Network Card Bundle, my questions are:

1. is there any merit in keeping my Uptone Audio EtherRegen in the chain, or should I go direct from router to switch?
2. does it make any sense to use one of my LPS 1.2 to power my Huawei B535-232 router?

Thanks!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio, as I have already submitted the preorder to my dealer for the Switch + Network Card Bundle, my questions are:

1. is there any merit in keeping my Uptone Audio EtherRegen in the chain, or should I go direct from router to switch?
2. does it make any sense to use one of my LPS 1.2 to power my Huawei B535-232 router?

Thanks!

1. would expect no
2. yes absolutely

Reactions: simorag

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
My next home (under construction) will have fiber coming to my listening room (fiber to the home), most probably to a Fritzbox 5490 fiber, fiber input.
I had planned to go with RJ 45 to my Ediscreation extreme switch, one RJ 45 to the Taiko extreme (feeding the T+A SD 3100hv by usb), one RJ 45 cable to another Fritzbox placed elsewhere, doing tv, internet, doorbell, wifi whatever.

How would I place the new Taiko switch to get best performance?

The new router?

Should they be added or replace things mentioned above?

Use the Taiko router instead of Fritzbox fiber, Taiko switch instead of Ediscreation extreme?

Last edited:

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
I dont own any Taiko products but still follow this thread and have a question to you Emile @Taiko Audio

Is it possible to also use DAC cable from router to switch? Made a quick drawing to simplify what I mean, feel free to comment if it is possible and if it is a good solution :)

Taiko connection.jpg

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Order placed! Thank you, Taiko!
The new network card will replace the existing Ethernet card, correct? Or can/should both stay in the Extreme?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Order placed! Thank you, Taiko!
The new network card will replace the existing Ethernet card, correct? Or can/should both stay in the Extreme?

No. It replaces the current SPF card. The current Ethernet port is motherboard-based.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I dont own any Taiko products but still follow this thread and have a question to you Emile @Taiko Audio

Is it possible to also use DAC cable from router to switch? Made a quick drawing to simplify what I mean, feel free to comment if it is possible and if it is a good solution :)

View attachment 102352

Yes that’s possible.

Reactions: VPN

Markus87

Feb 10, 2021
Solothurn, Switzerland
The new technology interface card is CPU / PCIe direct to DAC - Analogue out AND CPU / PCIe direct to SPDIF (with rca, bnc and toslink connectors)

It does not replace the USB card

Its exciting technology leading to a whole range if future technologies.
Hi Emile, again exciting and very promising news! Congrats to you and the whole Taiko team to this groundbreaking innovation track!

Could you maybe elaborate a little further what improvements the new technology interface card could bring when connecting it via SPDIF to the existing SPDIF input of an external DAC? Maybe also in comparison to the existing optional AES/EBU outputs that could have been chosen on the Extreme? Can we expect a significant sonic upgrade to the current USB interface?

Markus

Reactions: oldmustang

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile, again exciting and very promising news! Congrats to you and the whole Taiko team to this groundbreaking innovation track!

Could you maybe elaborate a little further what improvements the new technology interface card could bring when connecting it via SPDIF to the existing SPDIF input of an external DAC? Maybe also in comparison to the existing optional AES/EBU outputs that could have been chosen on the Extreme? Can we expect a significant sonic upgrade to the current USB interface?

Markus

I will share more information on that in 2023 :)

Reactions: Markus87

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
So the swich has 2 sfp ports ?
Are those the only ports for network ?
Any other ports ?

1 DC input jack, 2 SFP ports, that’s it. Perhaps a better name for it would have been a „Media Converter“ but since it really is a switch we stuck with it.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I have just ordered a Switch + Network Card combo from my dealer. Unfortunately I did not see that the price indicated on the website was "excluding taxes". Damn IVA !!

Reactions: Pokey77 and simorag

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
Emile, will the black color option for the switch match the Extreme’s matte black case?

If you were to guess approximately how much more it might add to the price, that would help make decisions now.

Promise not to hold you to it if it’s more. : )

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, will the black color option for the switch match the Extreme’s matte black case?

If you were to guess approximately how much more it might add to the price, that would help make decisions now.

Promise not to hold you to it if it’s more. : )

The first sample we‘re getting back is a finish called deco black. Will share photos when it gets in. I would guess about + Euro 300.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing