Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Perhaps this is more clear, in the "OLD situation" all networked devices in your home are connected to the same network, all of them tend to create continuous activity. In the "NEW situation" we add a second router and Wi-Fi Access Point to create an entirely new network, your home network becomes the "internet" for this second network. This setup has 2 benefits:

1) It is unaffected by the activity generated by all of our home networked devices
2) We have a high degree of control over the activity which is left on this network

setup2.jpg

View attachment 108001

Will it be possible to setup the Taiko Router with ease?

The idea is to have two sets of rules for the Taiko Router:

The first set of rules : complete isolation

The second set of rules : allows access to the HiFi network from the Home network.

Goal :

- Backup the music files and the Roon library from the Extreme to a NAS located in the home network

- Access the Extreme's Roon server from a machine on the home network. I like to manage the Roon settings and my library from a desktop machine.

We will have to add VNC and filesharing port forwarding rules of course, but keep in mind less is more for SQ..

Reactions: Armsan
Emile, looking at the diagram that you have published, I see that on the left side (Home Network) there is also a router with a wifi access point, this means that for the best SQ you have to turn off the Wifi of the Modem-Router (ISP) ?

No, you'll have 2 Wi-Fi networks, one for your Hi-Fi, one for the rest of the house. You can either switch your remote control device between the two when you are listening to music, or get a second remote control device for audio only.

Do you prefer RJ45 or DAC between Taiko Router and Taiko Switch?

Well, I prefer DAC for ultimate neutrality, transparency and imaging precision. But some people prefer a degree of "blurring" or "slightly out of focus images" as that can sound more pleasurable and smooth over harder edges caused by something somewhere in the system. You can also stack switches and add more RJ45 cables to increase this blurring effect. And of course you have some room for "sound sculpting or tuning" as network cabling is as susceptible to this as for example analogue interconnects are.

I’m trying to understand why

Taiko Router > WiFi AP > iPad
would be preferable in sq to
Taiko Router > Lan > iPad. ?

Definitely more neutral, all RJ45 cables sound different, even the cheap ones, if you purchase a bunch of different brand/make USD 5 RJ45 cables they will all sound noticeably different.

I have some questions regarding the coming TACD PCIe Output Board and the MSB integration...

Extract from Taiko's Site
The Taiko-designed TACD PCIe Output Board will feature a modular build to support a range of outputs using either a D/A or D/D daughterboard, providing a single output type per module.

The Modular Daughter Board will mount on top of the main TACDA PCIe board and can then provide one specific function from an array of options such as:
- Custom output like MSB Pro ISL

Extract from MSB's Site
The ProISL Interface is the highest performance digital audio interface. The interface is glass fiber optic based, making it 100% electrically isolated and allowing for incredible cable lengths with no loss. The unique protocol allows a very low jitter copy of the DAC master clock to be fed back to the source, creating a low jitter clock synchronous with the audio data system. The audio data is encoded and sent to the DAC, where it’s checked for errors and corrected before playback. The ProISL is capable of multi-channel audio and extremely high sample rates (much higher than any current standard). By using fiber, any noise generated in the source (CPU, drive, video processing, etc…) can be prevented from entering the DAC and the rest of the audio system.

Questions and Clarification
Am I correct to understand that Taiko will create a modular daughter board that implements MSB's ProISL interface meaning that the modular daughter board will have an SFP transceiver and the connection between Taiko Extreme.TACD PCIe and the MSB DAC will simply be a fibre optic cable?
  1. All the work lies with Taiko (implementing TACD PCIe Output Board and Modular Daughter Board for MSB Pro ISL)?
  2. There are no changes required on MSB's side regarding HW or SW?
  3. MSB need to share implementation details of ProISL (MSB's IP) with Taiko to enable the integration but in doing so will be able to offer their customers a very high quality system integration between Taiko Extreme and MSB DAC?

Can @Taiko Audio comment on the above please?

MSB supplies the actual MSB PRO ISL daughter board.

Reactions: Nils and Armsan
I hope the current AP are just temporary solution.
There is simply to many things to carry.
Also keep in mind there is new FASTER ( 5400 insted of 3600) version of my favourite AP
Tp Link EAP670 ( older was 660). Please test it if possible.

At the end There is a big need for Taiko Access Piont so please consider that .
No other Audio company has dedicated access point,

I suspect the main reason you like that AP is the way it allows you to power it. The way I have it setup now I can start a track, unplug and remove power from the AP and gain... nothing.

This seems to reaffirm my original thinking along the lines of purchasing a NUC or similar to act as Roon core for the whole of house and running that connected on the left of the red line and running the Extreme in XDMS mode on the right hand side. Almost a cake and eating it scenario?

Well it depends on how far you want to take it I guess, if you want the blackest of black backgrounds, the absolute minimum in image blurring / greying, then you need to minimize activity and devices on your network. Do note though that IMHO the switch / network card makes this all rather "painless". It's just that if you want that ultimate transparency, imaging and detail retrieval out of digital playback.....

View attachment 108055

Thank you CKKeung for the link to the Mono & Stereo review of the new Taiko switch and card. Great article! Some salient quotes:

1. “Digital can finally reproduce music with a sense of natural, fatigue-free interaction that establishes an involving and intimate affinity, opening the doors to a genuine kind of listening experience where the music becomes the main focus, rather than the listener being forced to focus on analytical sonic attributes.“

2. “If the music is not reproduced properly, there is something that causes an unpleasant reaction that manifests itself in an unwelcome interaction where the listening experience becomes crispy, the music can sound distant, we feel disconnected from the performers and the original message does not reach the listener.

3. “Not just the mind, the complete human as an undivided system responds to the way we receive music and how it affects us.”

4. “Of course, the high-end audio system must be at a certain level for these changes to be reflected in reality, “but as many of you have already experienced, the differences are not so small.”

And the pièce de résistance:
The Taiko Audio Extreme Music Server has already pushed the envelope, but the indefatigable and ever-forward-thinking entrepreneur Bok also envisioned these two matching products as the end game product, investing nearly two years of his life and an immense amount of funds into developing the new network card and switch. I certainly expected nothing less than an exemplary product from Taiko Audio, but I did not expect it to be such a transformative experience.

Bravo Taiko team!

Well, I prefer DAC for ultimate neutrality, transparency and imaging precision. But some people prefer a degree of "blurring" or "slightly out of focus images" as that can sound more pleasurable and smooth over harder edges caused by something somewhere in the system. You can also stack switches and add more RJ45 cables to increase this blurring effect. And of course you have some room for "sound sculpting or tuning" as network cabling is as susceptible to this as for example analogue interconnects are.
Thank you!! I will go for the DAC upgrade cable then.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
MSB supplies the actual MSB PRO ISL daughter board.
Aha - that makes sense, then MSB will keep IP for their PRO ISL.

Cool - so a proper collaboration then with:
- Taiko doing the TACD PCIe Output Board + design principles for the Modular Daughter Board
- MSB doing the implementation of the Modular Daughter Board for Pro ISL

I am really looking forward to this!

Once available it will yield a bump in # high-end USB cables available on 2nd hand market :)

Perhaps this is more clear, in the "OLD situation" all networked devices in your home are connected to the same network, all of them tend to create continuous activity. In the "NEW situation" we add a second router and Wi-Fi Access Point to create an entirely new network, your home network becomes the "internet" for this second network. This setup has 2 benefits:

1) It is unaffected by the activity generated by all of our home networked devices
2) We have a high degree of control over the activity which is left on this network

View attachment 108058
Sorry if I missed this. Are you going to recommend an optimum Wi-Fi AP. I think you said you were still investigating, was that correct?

Emile
The Extreme with internal bps release date is still May?
Running out of mains receptacles..
Lol...

Does the bps Extreme stay on (in some way) when not in use to keep the network connection? If so, via mains?

Mn

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusBarkus
Sorry if I missed this. Are you going to recommend an optimum Wi-Fi AP. I think you said you were still investigating, was that correct?

Yes, actually leaning towards including one to provide a complete plug&play package.

Emile
The Extreme with internal bps release date is still May?
Running out of mains receptacles..
Lol...

Does the bps Extreme stay on (in some way) when not in use to keep the network connection? If so, via mains?

Mn

Not sure if we’re going to make that at this point, trying though!

The BPS doesn’t need a network connection, it’s controlled over Bluetooth.

Not sure if we’re going to make that at this point, trying though!

The BPS doesn’t need a network connection, it’s controlled over Bluetooth.
Help me Obi Wan..

The bps Extreme battery settings are controlled via Bluetooth.
Is streaming and local playback controlled via Bluetooth?
Or
Do we connect directly to router via its wifi ap and control all playback from there?

Mn

Help me Obi Wan..

The bps Extreme battery settings are controlled via Bluetooth.
Is streaming and local playback controlled via Bluetooth?
Or
Do we connect directly to router via its wifi ap and control all playback from there?

Mn

Only the BPS settings are controlled over Bluetooth. Streaming and local playback over the network.

That would cancel out most if not all of the benefits.

The Eero should go between the yellow “no direct connection” position and the audio router, not replacing the audio access point.
Yes, I think we are saying the same thing. The Taiko Router would have to be connected to the Eero as there is no way I can hardwire the Taiko Router to the main router in my setup.
So in my diagram, the Taiko Router is wired to the Eero. Eero is getting all data wirelessly from the Eero connected to the modem.
Would this cancel out most of the benefits?

This is what I have now, I would just be inserting the Taiko Router between the Eero and the Taiko Switch.

Attachments

• Taiko network setup-v1.JPG
    Taiko network setup-v1.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 28

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing