Zero Distortion: Tango Time

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I lose out on lots of piano and cello pieces because they aren't tolerable - even though they're played beautifully. But if the violin is, why the hell would I avoid it and listen to some other piece that isn't it? You make no sense, Ked.

I do to me. I am not going to list recordings which explain why I make sense to me

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also, violin in much easier to reproduce than piano, in terms of systems. I haven't heard yours.

I did like Tang's system on piano when heard with most carts on the AS, especially with vdh, not so much on the techdas, and definitely not on the EMT which lost a lot of nuance on such an instrument.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's like you didn't read anything in the last few posts.

Duh, violin is easier so I can enjoy the single existence pressings more often than I can with cello or piano.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I also listen to the piano recordings a lot in an Avalon compass system here as well as a Tannoy system and love them

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's like you didn't read anything in the last few posts.

Duh, violin is easier so I can enjoy the single existence pressings more often than I can with cello or piano.

What do you mean by single existence

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
"the" piano recordings????? Like all piano recordings are some kinda equal summation????? What???? What are you talking about?

Single existence, 1 pressing, no more. There are so many things that there are no SXL, SAX, let alone LSC for...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think we are talking different things so will let it go

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is Tango Time.:)

20190504_124942.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: rockitman

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Nice one, Christian! It is a really great LP. Your system must be set up very well too to be getting superb mono also.
I bought the mono from your recommendation and Ked's too. No money for Stereo. :(

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Today's special is Mendelssohn piano concerto1 by Menahem Pressler. Only €10 shipping cost to Bangkok is more. For some reason I find it difficult to get a good sounding vinyl and reaching performance on this piece. A lot of hit-and-miss's. I still have some more Mendelssohn coming in. If they are any good like this one I will post again. In this vid, you wont hear the depth of Orchestra I hear. It goes really deep. Good illusion. The clarity is good you wont hear piano like you put cotton buds in your ears. No obvious veil. No warm. And the clarity of piano does not has that polish and shine crystal like digital mastered if you know what I am talking about. Comparing with three different pressings of Serkin that I have, the Peter Katin Decca, Maria Grinberg Melodiya, this is a win. Oh the Chopin on Side A is also good I did not yawn while listening. :D

Tang

748C647F-C71A-412D-A52A-5638E0D713E1.jpeg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Mr Tang, are you still using Kuro for IC and Speaker cables?? The sound is amazing.
Hi Hieukm,

Yes, all interconnects and speaker cables are Kuro. Most transparent and highest resolution cables imo. Just musical details and density of tone through extreme clarity no added mids and lows. Some may find a little hot in the highs but that I think depend on how a system copes with peaks. Kuro is going to Munich with Diesis Audio this week. Could be an interesting room to check out. Italy has a lot of hidden gems.

Thanks for your kind words,
Tang

Reactions: Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Hi Hieukm,

Yes, all interconnects and speaker cables are Kuro. Most transparent and highest resolution cables imo. Just musical details and density of tone through extreme clarity no added mids and lows. Some may find a little hot in the highs but that I think depend on how a system copes with peaks. Kuro is going to Munich with Diesis Audio this week. Could be an interesting room to check out. Italy has a lot of hidden gems.

Thanks for your kind words,
Tang
I am using the same cables with your truly but the performance is nowhere as high. My nuances, details, treble is no where as good. It must be your excellent combination of source, amp + speaker to deliver such a performance. Now you have decided to stay with Ching Cheng power cord then there is no persuasion to see your opinion on Kuro power.

Anyway, please post more videos. I am learning alot through your clips. Your videos have been an inspiration on classical for me. I started hifi the same timeline with your and go through similar gear : Cessaro, Tripoint, Kuro etc so i have so much to learn. Thank you once again. :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
One problem with piano recordings is that they have to put microphones just about inside to get a lot of the magic. Sadly long after vinyl's hay-day there's a man making piano's that sound amazing at all times, without needing specialized recording or anything in particular - hell just a good seat anywhere within 100ft would be spectacular. They're also 15ft tall. (well not all of them, but the 15fter is amazing)

https://soundcloud.com/thepianoguy

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Multiple TTs are great just because there are so many to love. But on a practical note, the ability to support multiple arms with different cartridges is a huge benefit. Rather that choosing on a track basis, I've found each record has a recorded personality that often favors one arm/cart combo over another. These symbiotic predilictions are often general: large ensemble vs small for example, but are occasionally disc particular. An example is my recent playing of an Ashkenazy Rachmaninoff which would usually sound best with the Anna or Onyx but only thrived with the Proteus. For this reason, I have a rig with 2 arms. The second arm allows for rapid and easy swapping of alternate wand/cart assemblies. The VPI JMW-10 works well for this. unplug and detach thread, lift off, set on, plugin and attach, which takes less than a minute. I don't do this more than once every week or two since the VPI mounted cartridges are more similar to each other than the Proteus which stays in place in the fixed arm setup. It's good to refresh the pallet every now and then.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing