Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I got a reply from my friend Paul who owns a Wadax Atlantis Server and SGM Servers.
However, his pre-ordered SGM Extreme will arrive in April so he has done a direct comparison between his Wadax Atlantis and SGN EVO only.

This is his reply :
" ... Very good questions, I was also wondering what is their differences. I only have the SGMS Evo right now, my Extreme may arrive in April.

I called Javier of Wadax to fix my Atlantics server yesterday so as to hv a comparison with my Evo.

All connected with same power cord and pair with Reclocker Reclocker/Bespoke Silver Preamp/Lampizator Pacific.

I can tell Evo is much better in Dynamics and presentation of soundstage, and better density/analog tone.

Atlantics is also good, crystal clear of resolution with more musical presentation.

I think they have different presentation, but I like Evo a little bit more.

In summary, I think TotalDac Reclocker is must buy, it is really a game changer, it does boost up the potential of the servers.

In conclusion, I expect Extreme then will be better than Atlantics server.

BTW, I have just received my Cybershaft OP21 ..."

Hi, thanks for the reply, but you have "killed me".
I expected (for reasons of price) that Wadax would be at the level of Extreme, but if you already say that Evo is superior, I suppose that Extreme will be even more. Anyway, it would be very interesting if in April he could compare them and take some pictures .....
For my part and if there is no problem, I can say that in this week that begins I will be able to compare in my house the Wadax Atlantis and the Innuos Statement with my Melco N1ZH60-2. My dealer and friend Pedro de Sound Sevilla, told me that he would like to hear my new Kassandra DAC, I told him that of course he could come whenever he wanted to my house. He then said that he would bring the Wadax and the Innuos to increase the fun. I am very afraid". A year ago I asked him about the Göbel cables he had started importing and his response was to come to my house with a complete set; I ended up buying four cables. Really with friends like that, who needs enemies? :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi, thanks for the reply, but you have "killed me".
I expected (for reasons of price) that Wadax would be at the level of Extreme, but if you already say that Evo is superior, I suppose that Extreme will be even more. Anyway, it would be very interesting if in April he could compare them and take some pictures .....
For my part and if there is no problem, I can say that in this week that begins I will be able to compare in my house the Wadax Atlantis and the Innuos Statement with my Melco N1ZH60-2. My dealer and friend Pedro de Sound Sevilla, told me that he would like to hear my new Kassandra DAC, I told him that of course he could come whenever he wanted to my house. He then said that he would bring the Wadax and the Innuos to increase the fun. I am very afraid". A year ago I asked him about the Göbel cables he had started importing and his response was to come to my house with a complete set; I ended up buying four cables. Really with friends like that, who needs enemies? :)
Audiophiles poisoning each another : that very usual. Haha

I listened to Wadax Atlantis and SGM EVO individually in diff systems many times before.
My impression concurs with my frd Paul's direct comparison result.

Wadax Atlantis' advantage is that it offers server, dac and phonoamp together conveniently.
Pls update us on the compariaon between Atlantis and Innuos Statement.
BTW please allow a few hours of warm-up time for their internal clock circuit, particularly the ocxo inside the Statement.

However please don't open your cheque book yet.
Not until you have listened to the SGM Extreme!
;)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Emile / All,

Have you tried the Taiko Daiza with valve phonostages or preamps or power amps at all?

Thx

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Audiophiles poisoning each another : that very usual. Haha

I listened to Wadax Atlantis and SGM EVO individually in diff systems many times before.
My impression concurs with my frd Paul's direct comparison result.

Wadax Atlantis' advantage is that it offers server, dac and phonoamp together conveniently.
Pls update us on the compariaon between Atlantis and Innuos Statement.
BTW please allow a few hours of warm-up time for their internal clock circuit, particularly the ocxo inside the Statement.

However please don't open your cheque book yet.
Not until you have listened to the SGM Extreme!
;)
Well at the moment I can not open my checkbook. After the purchase of the Kassandra I wait for some time before I can open it again
I told Pedro, but he seems to want to plant with enough time. Smart guy.

Reactions: Samsoum and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Well at the moment I can not open my checkbook. After the purchase of the Kassandra I wait for some time before I can open it again
I told Pedro, but he seems to want to plant with enough time. Smart guy.
I am very curious of the Aries Cerat brand, particularly their DACs.
It's a pity that they don't have a dealer in Hong Kong.
:confused:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile - does it work well?

Yes very well, we originally designed it as an expansion to the Tana Active platforms but it evolved into a stand alone product. Audiophiles typically are not very interested in this type of product (I wasn't either before Mike Lavigne steered us on this path), but the difference it can make is night and day. There is some information on it in this thread: https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/...pec-meets-msb-select-ii-digital-nvs-tt.25310/

If you want to try it I can send you one, obligation free of course.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Emile - does it work well?

Yes very well, we originally designed it as an expansion to the Tana Active platforms but it evolved into a stand alone product. Audiophiles typically are not very interested in this type of product (I wasn't either before Mike Lavigne steered us on this path), but the difference it can make is night and day. There is some information on it in this thread: https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/...pec-meets-msb-select-ii-digital-nvs-tt.25310/

FYI use -8- Taiko Daiza platforms of different sizes in my system, 4 as part of the Tana active systems, and 4 passively. under a tt, dacs, amps and power supplies.

excellent ROI to my ears.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Hi Emile,

That sounds great - thanks a lot. I would really like to try it out. Is the pricing listed on your website?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
FYI use -8- Taiko Daiza platforms of different sizes in my system, 4 as part of the Tana active systems, and 4 passively. under a tt, dacs, amps and power supplies.

excellent ROI to my ears.

Thanks for that Mike. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
They’re being discovered by musicians now.

4E17568A-6AF3-4A0B-BB56-AD4AFEB698EE.jpeg

The distortion chanells especially seem very different and are feeding back in a beautiful way more musically that ususal.. It feels a bit tighter and punchier around the low end.. And break up is very pronounced (in a good way when you just push the gain very slightly.) the main thing I'm noticing so far is the amp sound has been very consistent after fitting the vibration plate.. Admittedly this is the second time it's been used but It seems that the head/valves vibrating may be introducing some extra harmonics or unwanted noise.. And the noise plate seems to be helping some what.. I'm working late tomorrow but will spend Thursday day time doing some recordings

It's very apparent.. I'm so impressed.. Almost sounded like a different clean channel.. Really impressive... Its a shame I'll have to move it again soon to record with the same settings ect without it fir exact comparison haha.. But I didn't expect this much of a change..

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable to comment on sound quality relative to other servers as a manufacturer. There are several comparisons to be found online, mainly versus the original SGM 2015.

As for the interface, there really is no "best". It depends on implementation and personal preference.

AES/EBU will sound closer to a CD transport.
USB is capable of a higher resolution type of sound.
Ethernet is a bit in between, but very much depending on your networking setup.

The interface sound quality differences are more in your 10% estimation range imho. A range in which cabling quality, or setup care can tip the scales.

With the Extreme I prefer USB over AES/EBU to our resident D1-12mk2, but Vincent of Totaldac send me a pair of Bibacord AES/EBU cables which may very well sway my preference back to AES/EBU.

The bottom line is not to worry to much about the interface but choose the one best fitting your preference / system setup.

Please let us know when you test the Extereme SGM AES exit over Bibacord v USB.
That might be very interesting .

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Agreed meeting in my house, next Thursday.
¡Fanfares and drum rolls!
I do not know if he enjoyed my granddaughter more, waiting for Santa or grandpa waiting for the comparison :cool:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Meeting adjourned. The Innuos Statement has arrived from Portugal, but Pedro tells me that they can not connect to the Network. He has returned it and as soon as it is repaired, we will arrange a meeting again.:mad:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing