Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Christiaan Punter

The Taiko Audio SGM Extreme has been elected the 2021 Award Winner by HiFi+ magazine!

TaikoAudio_31498_CPedit.png

Christiaan Punter

Below is the article describing the magazine's motivation for awarding the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme the HiFi+ 2021 Award:)

Taiko_Hifiplus_award_2021_article.png

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
My conclusion is that the Extreme is a very capable unit, yes, and new network cards and drivers are important, as are cables, but the support on which the Extreme rests has to be top quality as well for the Extreme to perform at 100% of its capability.

That mirrors our experience, adequate support is not to be underestimated.

Christiaan Punter

Below is the full Taiko Audio SGM Extreme HiFi+ Review that led to the aforementioned 2021 Award. Taiko_SGM_Extreme_HiFiplus_Review_page1.png Taiko_SGM_Extreme_HiFiplus_Review_page2.png Taiko_SGM_Extreme_HiFiplus_Review_page3.png Taiko_SGM_Extreme_HiFiplus_Review_page4.png

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Congratulations to the Taiko team for the well deserved recognition as digital server of the year! Glad a broader audience will get to hear about what we follow so closely here.
And welcome Christiaan!

Christiaan Punter

Congratulations to the Taiko team for the well deserved recognition as digital server of the year! Glad a broader audience will get to hear about what we follow so closely here.
And welcome Christiaan!
Indeed! And thanks, Ctydwn!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Christiaan

A big welcome to WBF and thank you for providing those reviews. Well deserved accolades for Emile and his team however I’m expecting even bigger things as Emile releases the new goodies in the coming year as those reviews I bet will be even better

Christiaan Punter

Christiaan

A big welcome to WBF and thank you for providing those reviews. Well deserved accolades for Emile and his team however I’m expecting even bigger things as Emile releases the new goodies in the coming year as those reviews I bet will be even better
Thanks Steve! Oh yes, big things to come! I guess I joined the team at exactly the right time, didn't I? ;-)

Reactions: EuroDriver

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Steve! Oh yes, big things to come! I guess I joined the team at exactly the right time, didn't I? ;-)
I believe next year will be a huge break out year for Taiko

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Just replaced the Finite Elemente carbon fiber platform (resting on Cerabase Classic feet) under my Taiko Extreme with the TAD ZZ-0014-WN Finnish birch laminate board (two boards with a suspension system in between, probably TAD works with Japanese company Wellfloat, which uses a similar concept, but uses MDF instead of hardwood laminate).

Effectively, the Extreme is now "floating". The sound is now much more relaxed, natural, and organic, with significant improvements across the entire frequency spectrum. Counter-intuitively (especially for those used to spikes and other fixed "grounding" elements), the massive improvement in the bass is especially noticeable. Just make sure you remove the foam insert between the two boards, or the suspension system doesn't work properly (yes, I initially made this mistake, as the foam insert is black, and hard to see!).

As a result of the above experience I have also replaced the Finite Elemente carbon fiber platforms under my TAD M700 mono amplifers with the similar TAD ZZ-0015-WN (just oversized to match the amps). Same result, but less evident, probably because the amps already have a built in and sophisticated support system.

Finally, in view of all of the above, also considering "floating" my speakers as well on the Townshend seismic isolation podiums early next year.

My conclusion is that the Extreme is a very capable unit, yes, and new network cards and drivers are important, as are cables, but the support on which the Extreme rests has to be top quality as well for the Extreme to perform at 100% of its capability.
Great insights. I love my Townshend seismic podiums beneath my Westminsters. One of the first things I did after I bought the speakers and boy did it clarify the bass and imaging.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Just a brief note to say I’m hopping on the bandwagon… ordered my Extreme early this week. :cool:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, just wondered do you disable the Spread Spectrum Clocking on the motherboard?

Good morning Jon, how is the availability of restored apogees in the UK nowadays? Unobtanium aswell?

I prefer off, but that’s not universal, I preferred on in our previous generation, perhaps the better chassis shielding has something to do with that but i’m just guessing there, it could also simply be motherboard / system specific.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing