Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

About everything we could get our hands on.
So your still an advocate for unshielded ethernet cables? I'm curious if the switch changed your approach in anyway...

How will the Network card be powered? Just curious, as the USB card has taken up the 'power slot' in the Extreme...

Will the switch be sold to non Extreme customer in the futur,

Never say never, but not currently considered, for starters it was quite a challenge to secure enough parts to be able to supply one to each current Extreme owner and have a few spares for future ones.

Reactions: Tubeman66
The switch is very different to other switches. The first switch we designed which had only positives, it did not provide a cleaner sound at the expense of density, it did not compress dynamics, it did not just sound more pleasing and/or "fuller" by rolling off the top end, IMHO it was truly "neutral", it only lowered "noise", but the most remarkable about it was that everything just sounded better with it connected rather then disconnected. This was around halfway into 2021, if I recall correctly both @EuroDriver and @nenon reported on it in this thread. We could have stopped there and just release it, it provided a good uptick in sound quality, and I'm sure everybody who would've bought one would've been pleased with it, but it did not actually solve anything, in stead it gave us some interesting insights. Which led to more discoveries, some of those led to the software update we released early this year which provided a similar uptick in sound quality as that switch on its own btw. What we have designed meanwhile and since then is truly different, and it operates and functions on a whole different level. It also scales with your system outlay. For example on the Alsyvox Raffaellos, with its huge sfa dual bass ribbons, it's almost like there's a +6dB boost at 20Hz while at the same time a mayor increase in transparency and detail in that range (yes there's detail in sub bass), it makes for a rather shocking difference, it produces shockwave like bass, but it's not just that, the midrange energy and drive is on a whole different level too, like if you went from an underpowered amplifier to something with power to spare. On the Magico A5s you don't get any of that, but still the bass is much more controlled and has more energy, grip and dynamic punch, the lowered distortion over the entire frequency range is very obvious, the midrange is more colourful and engaging. Removing the switch leaves me with a suddenly rather disappointing sound, grey and lackluster. I have a lot of switches here, but none of them do anything like this, this is more fundamental, it alters your musical experience. There goes "I'm not one to boast about sonic qualities" out the window, I'll rephrase to I hope you'll all agree with me in an attempt to keep up a degree of appearance of modesty. You are welcome to visit us in Oldenzaal and hear the difference.

So does this switch improve the sound of other servers, yes it does, but not to the same extend, and there's a good reason for that, as you need the network card, and a specific software configuration for the full monty. The network card on its own is an OK upgrade, the switch on it's own is a larger upgrade and IMHO a substantial one, the combination however is "magical".
Holy OMG! When Emile, a master of the understatement, calls the result of the network card + switch "magical" we are in
for a real sonic treat.

I was wondering the same. how does a dual cable allow both cards tio sit in the same slot
I'm afraid Emile can't put two cards in the same expansion slot. I imagine that when Emile talks about “slot” he is referring to the one in the picture.

Attachments

• 8AF94E61-B3BB-4763-B134-78E847F651E0.jpeg
    8AF94E61-B3BB-4763-B134-78E847F651E0.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 56
I was wondering the same. how does a dual cable allow both cards tio sit in the same slot
I take Emile's statement as the network card uses the same slot as the current network card, not the USB card.

Steve Z

I take Emile's statement as the network card uses the same slot as the current network card, not the USB card.

Steve Z
But the current network card doesn't use an expansion slot, it's on the motherboard.

I'm afraid Emile can't put two cards in the same expansion slot. I imagine that when Emile talks about “slot” he is referring to the one in the picture.

Indeed.

We’ll provide a dual cable, it uses the same slot.

Was a reply to:

How will the Network card be powered? Just curious, as the USB card has taken up the 'power slot' in the Extreme...

Referring to “power slot” which is the single circular internal power connector located on the inside copper panel to which the USB card is connected by a DC cable. This DC cable will be replaced by a dual lead cable which can power both network and USB expansion cards, the network card can plug into PCIE expansion slot #2 (although in this case the slot used is not critical) replacing the fiber network card and the USB card remains seated in slot #5.

The upcoming network card would replace my router?

I should mention we also have a version of the networkcard which does not need a powerlead, it runs off PCIE power, but ultimately bypassing the motherboard powertraces with the DC lead does sound 2 or so % better at a relatively minimal additional cost and effort.

I should mention we also have a version of the networkcard which does not need a powerlead, it runs off PCIE power, but ultimately bypassing the motherboard powertraces with the DC lead does sound 2 or so % better at a relatively minimal additional cost and effort.
maybe one of those network card be sold to non Extreme customer in the futur, :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing