Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

The 3 options posted earlier today (quoted above) are what we will offer.

We’re also investigating on site upgrade options.
I especially like the idea of on-site upgrades, if that means user installed like the USB card and soon to ship new network card.

I was musing about this the other day and envisioned something like a generic (inexpensive!) BPS enclosure for behind the equipment rack. When I considered how to join the two one of the thoughts I had to minimize the need to do major surgery on the existing Extreme enclosure was to use the existing IEC inlet for DC power to the Extreme. And if the DC receptacle on the BPS enclosure for the Extreme was the same as the wall receptacle of the owner's country, then an existing power cord could still be used.

Inside the Extreme the rectifier bridge, transformer and choke would be removed. Not sure that the existing capacitors need be pulled since they could certainly serve as a reserve for fast, transient power demands.

Anyway, just thinking inside the box.

Steve Z

Into the existing chassis, so you keep the same single box like you have now. It will be truly stuffed to the lid though :)
However, if this can be accomplished in the same Extreme chassis, that has the savings of no additional BPS enclosure, not even a generic one, as well as solving the problem of a power cable from BPS to Extreme. As long as provision could be made for 12VDC outlets from one of the Extreme's card slots to the Taiko switch, it would be a very clean installation, and perhaps even the least expensive one for current Extreme owners.

Having 24 hours between battery charges is nice, but it's a very rare day that I get to listen to even 12 hours of music.

Steve

I especially like the idea of on-site upgrades, if that means user installed like the USB card and soon to ship new network card.
I think it is much more complex than that. They have to remove existing power supply , insert new BPS into larger chassis etc. ......not anything that I personally would tackle

With the BPS in our existing chassis, what run time could be expected? It must be a bit less than the larger external chassis BPS or the new larger chassis with new cosmetics.

A BPS in the current chassis should be the lowest cost option of the three, but what are the compromises? I could live with a couple hours at a significantly lower price point.

I am working on a Summary Doc for the BPS and the first draft is almost done. This doc will contain all the information that has so far been published as well as a FAQ section. I aim to post the first draft tomorrow.

Having 24 hours between battery charges is nice, but it's a very rare day that I get to listen to even 12 hours of music.

I do view the 24 hours to be a practical necessity. You would configure it to recharge in a specific time window you would(should) not be listening, like for example every night between 4 and 6AM, or perhaps you’d like to charge when you have spare solar power.

With the BPS in our existing chassis, what run time could be expected? It must be a bit less than the larger external chassis BPS or the new larger chassis with new cosmetics.

A BPS in the current chassis should be the lowest cost option of the three, but what are the compromises? I could live with a couple hours at a significantly lower price point.

We really came up with a clever solution, there would be no compromise with a full day’s worth of charge.

I do view the 24 hours to be a practical necessity. You would configure it to recharge in a specific time window you would(should) not be listening, like for example every night between 4 and 6AM, or perhaps you’d like to charge when you have spare solar power.
to be clear are you saying that the BPS should be recharged daily??

We really came up with a clever solution, there would be no compromise.
So no compromise but the newer larger chassis has better sonic benefits than existing chassis.....

@Taiko Audio Do the think the 2 box solution reduces the sound quality as compared to either of the 1 box solutions?

I like the 24 hour approach with an automatic recharge. 2-3 hour would turn into a huge PITA AT LEAST WITH MY LISTENING habits. The whole concept is for improved sound quality. For the charger to be running while listening is counter intuitive...

Reactions: Taiko Audio
  • Love
Reactions: Taiko Audio
To do what, John? Lift it?

Steve Z
I wasn't referring to the lifting part, (didn't think that far ahead) the actual on site technical aspect...

Reactions: oldmustang
The difference is negligible.
Emile,
for Extreme newcomers I see advantages for a two box solution:

To start with a entry level Extreme with an external unregulated LPS which can later on be upgraded to the external BPS.

Matt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu