Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

could anyone who has received and installed their new bracket comment on their findings as to resolution of issues
My replacement bracket has exact same issue as original bracket - disappointed.

My replacement bracket has exact same issue as original bracket - disappointed.
That's because it isn't a bracket (mechanical fit) issue. However, if your (old) bracket didn't line up correctly it could possibly cause a different -- physical contact -- issue.

Steve Z

That's because it isn't a bracket (mechanical fit) issue. However, if your (old) bracket didn't line up correctly it could possibly cause a different -- physical contact -- issue.

Steve Z
Yes.

I have synched up with latest posts - temperature protection sounds like a solid lead for root cause and should be fixable via firmware update, will likely be a lot of remote-sessions required to actually deploy the updated firmware though...

Bummer - so two issues stacked, first some non-aligned brackets causing intermittent errors and then temperature guard that triggers too early.

Will run top-less Extreme until fix arrives ;-)

SQ is still awesome.

I still wonder why some have had no issues with the new network card + bracket? If it’s a temperature issue, wouldn’t their machines have also disconnected the card?
I have the same question.
Ben Lau of Volent HK was able to run one of the several cards in hand with the bracket screw not installed (and the Extreme chassis top lid NOT removed) continuously for several days without any problem.

Dear Emile :
Is that a pure firmwire issue?
Or is it possible that there are irregularities of the components on some of the cards?

In the spirit of this track, I recommend also listening to ((( O ))). I know, this is impossible to search for, but it will help if you know one of the song titles, for instance, "Infintro", which is track one of the album ((( 1 ))). Sorry, I am not making up these names and it does not help infintro is spelled without an i. It's like she does this on purpose...:) Anyway, well worth listening to, I promise!

View attachment 106391
Share for all :
Qobuz : http://open.qobuz.com/album/nllh7drzzdj1b
Tidal : https://tidal.com/album/246254189

I have the same question.
Ben Lau of Volent HK was able to run one of the several cards in hand with the bracket screw not installed (and the Extreme chassis top lid NOT removed) continuously for several days without any problem.

Dear Emile :
Is that a pure firmwire issue?
Or is it possible that there are irregularities of the components on some of the cards?

Low amount of internal storage, airconditioned room, no screw with the old bracket leaves a gap between chassis and bracket, lot’s of clearance around the Extreme, etc.

Reactions: CKKeung
Where can you see if the files are WAV or FLAC files. I've never paid any attention other than if they were 44.1 or DSD files.
You can see this in the Mini Player (bottom bar) when the file is playing.

For instance, Apple Lossless below:
1679480339291.png
AIFF or WAV:
1679480365561.png
FLAC:
1679480382197.png

Will make a note to think about also adding this to the folder views:).

Last edited:
You can see this in the Mini Player (bottom bar) when the file is playing.

For instance, Apple Lossless below:
View attachment 106418
AIFF or WAV:
View attachment 106419
FLAC:
View attachment 106420

Will make a note to think about adding this to the folder view.
Wow. Cool. Thx Christiaan. I am fascinated since playing files with the new Switch and even with the old card, how amazing they sound vs the streaming. I used to try and play files occasionally but I personally did not feel that they sounded so amazing (maybe they did and it was just me) that made me want to listen to only files as I loved the streaming selection of music. Now I have a dilemma. I think the dilemma will lessen when we get the future enhancements in place.

I don't think I will ever want to do demos with streaming for now vs files. The DSD files sound CRAZY GOOD.

Reactions: seatrope
No, it’s definitely metric. I believe M5 but I will double check…
It's Metric M4. But you should also be able to find a compatible non-metric wrench. According to Google, "4mm = 5/32 inch (= a bit over 1/8 inch) "

Last edited:
Wow. Cool. Thx Christiaan. I am fascinated since playing files with the new Switch and even with the old card, how amazing they sound vs the streaming. I used to try and play files occasionally but I personally did not feel that they sounded so amazing (maybe they did and it was just me) that made me want to listen to only files as I loved the streaming selection of music. Now I have a dilemma. I think the dilemma will lessen when we get the future enhancements in place.

I don't think I will ever want to do demos with streaming for now vs files. The DSD files sound CRAZY GOOD.
Hi Bob, I'd say there are worse dilemmas to have:) Personally, I comfortably use both, but I make sure to obtain "physical" copies of the music that I really like, either via download from Qobuz or on CD, which I then rip.

In my view, and on any server so far, streaming via Qobuz is very good (and depending on the master type, the mastering process, and CD creation process, occasionally even better than a CD rip) but ultimately mostly not quite as good as local files. Indeed, Emile has the intention of further narrowing the gap between local and streaming sources using as of yet undisclosed software "magic" in a future edition of XDMS. There's no fixed timeline for this but knowing a little bit about XDMS' inner workings and how we plan to attack this matter, I'm confident that we will indeed succeed!

And this is why I never stream!
I guess I would stream if it were just playing in the background…

Last night I listened to 44/16 ripped CDs… wow! Quite impressive! There’s certainly no need for a high end CD transport.

Low amount of internal storage, airconditioned room, no screw with the old bracket leaves a gap between chassis and bracket, lot’s of clearance around the Extreme, etc.
Except you have users who have not had an issue with the old bracket which is screwed in, so there is no gap. Maybe their room and Extreme are just well cooled?

Bummer - so two issues stacked, first some non-aligned brackets causing intermittent errors and then temperature guard that triggers too early.

Will run top-less Extreme until fix arrives ;-)

SQ is still awesome.

Pictured here in a sub-basement lab at Taiko, we look in on thermal testing prototypes believed capable of Extreme performance reaching DSD^7.

Extreme Emile.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing