Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I could be losing my mind but I think this switch gets even better with more hours. I don't have a clue as to how many hours I have on it. A lot. The openness it provides is off the charts. I sat here listening last night and kept saying one more album. That turned into uncorking a 2nd bottle. Such a natural uplifting presentation...

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Good afternoon

Emile
Have you any idea if the new case design with bps inside will have the feet in the same positions as existing the Extreme?
Marc

I’m sorry but I really don’t know yet, we still have to evaluate weight distribution and effect on sound.

Reactions: Armsan and RUIN*ish

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I could be losing my mind but I think this switch gets even better with more hours. I don't have a clue as to how many hours I have on it. A lot. The openness it provides is off the charts. I sat here listening last night and kept saying one more album. That turned into uncorking a 2nd bottle. Such a natural uplifting presentation...
Lets turn the things into correct order :p
..uncorking a 2nd bottle -> gets even better with more hours -> openness it provides is off the charts -> losing my mind -> kept saying one more bottle:D

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Lets turn the things into correct order :p
..uncorking a 2nd bottle -> gets even better with more hours -> openness it provides is off the charts -> losing my mind -> kept saying one more bottle:D
Its all coming back to me now Goran! Your sequence of events stimulated the little Gray Matter I have left!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree. I found there was some burn in time for the switch. Took about 5 days for me to get to that point where you simply can't turn it off

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
I've also noticed that the switch SQ kept improving over about a two-week period until finally reaching its peak. Even without the new NIC card, the switch and DAC cable make a nice improvement in SQ. Overall things sound more analog like. The sound is fuller and has more life to it, leading and trailing edges are getting closer to pure analog. At this level, to me the biggest sign that things have improved is that I am listening to and enjoying more music than ever. I look forward to what the new NIC card will bring.
For anyone who thinks it is strange that I mention the sound of analog even though I have no analog front end equipment listed in my signature.
I spent decades making my living aligning, repairing and modifying multitrack analog tape machines. As much as I like analog, I will be happy to never touch a reel of tape again. For me it's too much like work. Digital of this quality is too close now to sweat the difference anyway.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I've also noticed that the switch SQ kept improving over about a two-week period until finally reaching its peak. Even without the new NIC card, the switch and DAC cable make a nice improvement in SQ. Overall things sound more analog like. The sound is fuller and has more life to it, leading and trailing edges are getting closer to pure analog. At this level, to me the biggest sign that things have improved is that I am listening to and enjoying more music than ever. I look forward to what the new NIC card will bring.
For anyone who thinks it is strange that I mention the sound of analog even though I have no analog front end equipment listed in my signature.
I spent decades making my living aligning, repairing and modifying multitrack analog tape machines. As much as I like analog, I will be happy to never touch a reel of tape again. For me it's too much like work. Digital of this quality is too close now to sweat the difference anyway.
"more life to it" That sums it up nicely...I cut my teeth recording vinyl to tape (Revox A77 Swiss Model, Germans made a model too) I don't miss it either. As you mention Digital of this quality is in another realm...Its a beautiful thing...

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I keep remarking to my wife how this system just keeps sounding better and better, and the only thing that's happened is the switch and card (which has worked flawlessly for me the whole time) have been settling in over a 3+ week period now. It definitely gets better with at least two weeks on it. Remarkable how clear the window to the music is, and how alive the music making has become!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I keep remarking to my wife how this system just keeps sounding better and better, and the only thing that's happened is the switch and card (which has worked flawlessly for me the whole time) have been settling in over a 3+ week period now. It definitely gets better with at least two weeks on it. Remarkable how clear the window to the music is, and how alive the music making has become!
It appears I'm not the only one that has made this observation. I thought it could have been that 2nd bottle of wine. But then this morning I realized I was not imagining things. Even in my sluggish state of mind, while making coffee, music up and running, the audio angels were present again...We are all involved in exciting times, flaming down the digital audio adventure paths...

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
It appears I'm not the only one that has made this observation. I thought it could have been that 2nd bottle of wine. But then this morning I realized I was not imagining things. Even in my sluggish state of mind, while making coffee, music up and running, the audio angels were present again...We are all involved in exciting times, flaming down the digital audio adventure paths...
Yeah, for me it has resulted in another pour of bourbon and too late of a night after too late of a night.... Album naturally leads to album, in the fine audio nut fashion.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Christian or Emile.
When I install the new network card, do I have to run networkcard.ps1 again?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
FWIW I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve tracking Santa's sleigh. My card is sitting in Los Angeles for a tomorrow morning delivery. I left milk and cookies by the fireplace :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That’s a lot of cards!
It blows me away to think that Taiko researched an issue, diagnosed the problem, confirmed the fix, manufactured parts, tested new cards with new part, packed and shipped to a 100+ customers in two weeks. Come on, that doesn't even sound physically possible, yet that's what they did.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing