Belt Drive vs Direct Drive and which one?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have no knowledge or opinion on this, but I think J.R. Boisclair's view is that speed consistency (staying constant at whatever speed it is spinning at (say 33.38) is more important than whether the speed is exactly at 33.333.

Why choose?

They are both important. That is why I talk in terms of 'stable accuracy '. Low noise is also important.

Quiet Stable Accuracy.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
… not asking for a definitiv answer or recommendation - but from your experience, what is the best for steady speed and at what price do TTs really perform to a satisfying level… it can’t be all about speed consistency, as i would assume, even lower priced TTs can do well (I measured some around 2-3k and performance was flawless speedwise). My Brinkmann on the other hand measures terrible considering it‘s price, still it sounds way better to me than other TTs that measure better in w&f… really can‘t figure out how to go about this… I do have a spending frame between say 7k lowest (Stabi R that would probably be) and 40k (TechDAS AF 3 etc.)… but it can’t all be about just playing at steady speed, because that’s affordable at a much lower invest… then again - as said - there are TTs that don’t measure well at all but sound great… weird stuff…
The only belt drive that I personally have heard that Woukd make me not buy a DD TT is the Kronos Pro LE with the super capacitor power supply. Every system I ever heard it in was sounding very special with analog.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
… not asking for a definitiv answer or recommendation - but from your experience, what is the best for steady speed and at what price do TTs really perform to a satisfying level… it can’t be all about speed consistency, as i would assume, even lower priced TTs can do well (I measured some around 2-3k and performance was flawless speedwise). My Brinkmann on the other hand measures terrible considering it‘s price, still it sounds way better to me than other TTs that measure better in w&f… really can‘t figure out how to go about this… I do have a spending frame between say 7k lowest (Stabi R that would probably be) and 40k (TechDAS AF 3 etc.)… but it can’t all be about just playing at steady speed, because that’s affordable at a much lower invest… then again - as said - there are TTs that don’t measure well at all but sound great… weird stuff…
honestly I don't have a strong experience at that price range. so I can only relate where my actual experience does have some useful relevance.

assuming you are sticking with a new turntable, then as I mentioned before, the CS Port TAT2M2 does do steady speed of higher price points than maybe most others in that price range. the reason is it does not use any servo, and is high mass string drive with a low pressure, low flow air float platter. so you do get a very grainless and liquid presentation with musical flow that is very involving and immersive. it stands out as 'different' and more refined. still has excellent bass and macrodynamic energy.

the CS Port is all about steady. you can enjoy it after 5 minutes of warm up, but it does take 90 minutes for it to reach thermal equilibrium and sound it's best. then you let it spin all day and it's even better.

other non servo high mass string drive turntables do similar things too, but the CS Port with the low flow, low pressure air float does it in a special way IMHO.

it will bring out the best in high quality arms and cartridges.

there maybe are others that can do these things on your list of candidates, but I personally don't know that. if you investigate feedback on it you will read similar comments. unless listeners are able to actually compare tt's side by side they might assume all tt's can do these things equally. but not really.

Last edited:
Reactions: skinnyfla

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

try to listen to a Micro Seiki SX 8000 II in a good system with the right arm and cartridge properly set up. You will then know what is possible from a turntable. It just sounds right and you go right to the music. It is vintage, but you should be able to find one somewhere in Europe. Occasionally they come up for sale at the top end of your price range.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The only belt drive that I personally have heard that Woukd make me not buy a DD TT is the Kronos Pro LE with the super capacitor power supply. Every system I ever heard it in was sounding very special with analog.
Just a coincidence it runs with maxon dcx motors 48 v dc.;)
There are two possible ways to minimize control interventions on the motor. you add a large flywhell to it. or you can set the motor to constant load operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

jdza

May 3, 2010
Alternative if you need a good one.dcx 22l from maxon View attachment 124626
Thank you , I am sorry. I have neither the skills nor patience to mate that to this. They just have to remain another footnote to history albeit possibly the best sounding of all when it is working-which is not often.. But I digress as this is far from the original question so shall not comment further. Apologies for polluting and again Thank You.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Keeping steady speed at 33.3rpm and w&f performance are two different things. Another very important problem for all drive types is aggressively trying to keep 33.3rpm speed by control electronics. That aggressive control may achieve 33.3rpm average but for the cost of increased w&f.

Hmmm ... I don't understand this broad pronouncment. Unless you see wow & flutter almost entirely as a symptom of increased vibration/resonance rather than a symptom of unsteady speed. Extraordinarily high correction rates (multiple thousands of times per second) are less aggressive not more because they are effectively constant. Imo, the advantage of stable accuracy go beyond low wow & flutter numbers.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
There are two possible ways to minimize control interventions on the motor. you add a large flywhell to it. or you can set the motor to constant load operation.

This describes my turntable. There is. 10 lbs flywheel on the drive pulley, and the motor sees a constant load which is user adjustable. One can adjust the string tension and then the load to arrive at what sounds best.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thank you , I am sorry. I have neither the skills nor patience to mate that to this. They just have to remain another footnote to history albeit possibly the best sounding of all when it is working-which is not often.. But I digress as this is far from the original question so shall not comment further. Apologies for polluting and again Thank You.

Offtopic
Oh dear, I know the motor and it would be offered as a replacement motor for the E 50 Berger engine (TD 124). should be the best motor unfortunately it isn't. here if you are looking for asycron motors 230volt.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hmmm ... I don't understand this broad pronouncment. Unless you see wow & flutter almost entirely as a symptom of increased vibration/resonance rather than a symptom of unsteady speed. Extraordinarily high correction rates (multiple thousands of times per second) are less aggressive not more because they are effectively constant. Imo, the advantage of stable accuracy go beyond low wow & flutter numbers.
Not sure I buy the constant correction argument. It’s a bit like the claim that if you can just use enough negative feedback it magically cleans itself up and you get perfect sound. The argument that using higher amounts of the thing that causes the problem will solve the problem seems to me not to be logical. Putseys from N-core and Purifi claims this for his amps and now you have made that argument for TTs (Grand Prix audio’s argument for their speed correction?).

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
This describes my turntable. There is. 10 lbs flywheel on the drive pulley, and the motor sees a constant load which is user adjustable. One can adjust the string tension and then the load to arrive at what sounds best.
Think bigger 40lbs at 800rpm;) Otto Geraffel 008.JPG

Adelmor

Nov 21, 2023
Imola, Italy
Think bigger 40lbs at 800rpm;) View attachment 124656
Hi,

Very impressive fly wheel indeed. I suppose the precision of the fly wheel have to be the possible most accurate as it has to be the rotation balance otherwise shall introduce unbalanced waves to the play back sound.
I suppose the system is working well, therefore congratulation for implementing it.

Rgds
Adelmo

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi,

Very impressive fly wheel indeed. I suppose the precision of the fly wheel have to be the possible most accurate as it has to be the rotation balance otherwise shall introduce unbalanced waves to the play back sound.
I suppose the system is working well, therefore congratulation for implementing it.

Rgds
Adelmo
Thanks, platter bearing and flywheel was a final thesis by mechanical engineering students who put a lot of effort into it.
sometimes you have luck in life to know the right people

Reactions: trekpilot

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
honestly I don't have a strong experience at that price range. so I can only relate where my actual experience does have some useful relevance.

assuming you are sticking with a new turntable, then as I mentioned before, the CS Port TAT2M2 does do steady speed of higher price points than maybe most others in that price range. the reason is it does not use any servo, and is high mass string drive with a low pressure, low flow air float platter. so you do get a very grainless and liquid presentation with musical flow that is very involving and immersive. it stands out as 'different' and more refined. still has excellent bass and macrodynamic energy.

the CS Port is all about steady. you can enjoy it after 5 minutes of warm up, but it does take 90 minutes for it to reach thermal equilibrium and sound it's best. then you let it spin all day and it's even better.

other non servo high mass string drive turntables do similar things too, but the CS Port with the low flow, low pressure air float does it in a special way IMHO.

it will bring out the best in high quality arms and cartridges.

there maybe are others that can do these things on your list of candidates, but I personally don't know that. if you investigate feedback on it you will read similar comments. unless listeners are able to actually compare tt's side by side they might assume all tt's can do these things equally. but not really.
... thanks - the CS Port really seems like it`s worth getting into - but I don`t like the TAT2s design, so if, I would try and stretch towards the TAT1 - which again has some of that classic Micro Seiki look for me... Netherlands is close (no distribution/retail in Germany), so I might hop over.

... one thing seems certain, that is that there is no "one/absolute" answer ;-)

Thinking that Brinkmann (I have been happy with the LaGrange for 8 years - so I can`t say anything negative) has been developing TTs for 30+ years and still refuses to use electronic correction to get best possible measurements, because he obviously thinks that the negative impact of electronic speed correction at the platter is more harmful to the sound than having not so good measurements vs. speed accuracy as the holy grail leaves a big delta for alternative views... also a question of what is actually "audible" especially when yout don`t actually "know" or have TTs playing in direct comparison... anyways, it`s all interesting and great getting all the input here.

Enjoy music - salute!

Reactions: Croc999

djsina2

May 30, 2019
In my experience the table/arms I’ve liked the most sound wise have had the least conventional design/materials which to me has obviously had far more impact on the sound than ultra precise measurements.

Reactions: jeff1225

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
... thanks - the CS Port really seems like it`s worth getting into - but I don`t like the TAT2s design, so if,
fair enough, but 'in person' the earthy 'zen' factor might grab you. if you get to hear it.

and our ears sometimes overcome our eyes. we 'see' things in a new light.
I would try and stretch towards the TAT1
can't argue, it's what i own.
- which again has some of that classic Micro Seiki look for me... Netherlands is close (no distribution/retail in Germany), so I might hop over.
it will be worth your time.
for sure. and hope you find your tt muse.
Enjoy music - salute!
thank you.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It's not an argument. I don't think assessment by analogy works here.
It’s actually more than analogy, both are forms of feedback to “correct” an errant signal. The question in both cases audibility of the effect of the correction being applied. If we both agree that the speed the record is being played is literally half of the encoded information, then you are introducing constant fluctuations in pitch on the microsecond time scale…a form of analog jitter. Since digital jitter seems to be audible down to at least the nanosecond scale and also affects pitch and timing, do we think microsecond scale fluctuations are audible in analog? I would argue that the answer is at least possibly and more likely than not.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
why servo sucks....

In order to pick up sound accurately from the analog disc, the rotation of the platter must be rotated at a constant speed without any “fluctuation”. In general, accurate rotation is obtained by servo control by negative feedback, but at the micro level, if it rotates or becomes faster, it detects it and slows it, and repeats the operation to make it faster if it gets slower. Although this level and cycle are determined by the gain of the control system and the loop speed, the period of the speed control of the platter which is the mechanical system surely comes into the audio band. In general, accurate rotation is obtained by servo control by negative feedback, but at the micro level, if it rotates or becomes faster, it detects it and slows it, and repeats the operation to make it faster if it gets slower. If you try to measure a period with a small level, you can not measure the instantaneous state, so you measure the average value. Therefore, fine vibration generated by servo control can not be measured by the measuring instrument, it depends on the human ear.

the above is my own translation from Jinglish some info that was on the CS Port website 4 years ago. later they removed it. while i'm not claiming that this issue is that simple. or that non servo is the only way to go (two of my three tt's successfully use some sort of speed regulation). but there is some value to keeping in mind the ill effect of servos. and interpretation of our best measurement processes. which is a debatable subject. the alternative of non servo has merit.

musical flow and liquidity are very very valuable commodities in the musical enjoyment equation.

Tim previously rightly chastised me for posting this without attribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOS and skinnyfla

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
... thanks - the CS Port really seems like it`s worth getting into - but I don`t like the TAT2s design, so if, I would try and stretch towards the TAT1 - which again has some of that classic Micro Seiki look for me... Netherlands is close (no distribution/retail in Germany), so I might hop over.

Thinking that Brinkmann (I have been happy with the LaGrange for 8 years - so I can`t say anything negative) has been developing TTs for 30+ years and still refuses to use electronic correction to get best possible measurements, because he obviously thinks that the negative impact of electronic speed correction at the platter is more harmful to the sound than having not so good measurements vs. speed accuracy as the holy grail leaves a big delta for alternative views... also a question of what is actually "audible" especially when yout don`t actually "know" or have TTs playing in direct comparison... anyways, it`s all interesting and great getting all the input here.

Enjoy music - salute!

since you are in Germany, it makes sense to stay with Brinkman, and if you want a linear tracker try the pivoted one from Schroeder first. He might even come and set it up for you two years later, on when you visit him tell him how to set it up.

Germany has a lot of designers. There is no reason to cross the borders, far less the continents unless you are purely curious and want to try everything

Last edited:
Reactions: skinnyfla

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing