Reality is Cruel : Cybershaft new Ultimate OCXO 10M Clocks Shootout OP20 vs OP17

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Congratulations for your Op21. À little question concerning thé external power supply. How many power cords are you using ?

drunkenspyder

Apr 6, 2020
NorCal, USA
www.hammondraffetto.art
Congratulations for your Op21. À little question concerning thé external power supply. How many power cords are you using ?
In my case, there is one DC cable from the PSU to the OP21A. And one standard IEC cord from the PSU to the P10 (being replaced next week with a Torus AVR2-20).

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
I’m not sure there is any new version. The only thing that changed is that Cybershaft propose a new option (D) where Cybershaft is removing the power supply from the clock and you can only power through their external PSU with the DC cord.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I would like to know what are thé improvements with this new version..
The external power supply does lower the background noise. The sound is smoother.

If you keep the internal power supply, it is very easy to A/B test the difference. There is a switch at the back to select between the two mode. The difference in sound is not huge but clearly audible.

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
I received my OP21A yesterday. The quality of the construction is far better than my op13. Their standard has well improved . Concerning listening, it is night and day, but I want to wait that the clock will be burn before to make comments.

an idea of the Time needed to be burn?

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

TLi

May 27, 2016
I received my OP21A yesterday. The quality of the construction is far better than my op13. Their standard has well improved . Concerning listening, it is night and day, but I want to wait that the clock will be burn before to make comments.

an idea of the Time needed to be burn?
80% of improvement is there in the first hour. 20% will come gradually in the next few days. A friend said he noticed improvement every day up to the fifth day.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
80% of improvement is there in the first hour. 20% will come gradually in the next few days. A friend said he noticed improvement every day up to the fifth day.

Great post,...I would offer my experience is that while alot comes out in the first hour (let's say 70% or more), the 2nd and subsequent days are also quite interesting and for me that's where I hit the 90% range (if it can be nailed down that precisely). Yes, you'll hear tons of improvements by end of the first week; I would suggest that I hear I additional nuances and refinements in the 2nd week up to 275+ hours total break-in (could be the power
cord needed this much more so than the clock...).

FYI,....I never turn off my OP21A for weeks at a time even after break-in except in case of leaving for 1-n days or a major power problem, storm, etc...

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
FYI,....I never turn off my OP21A for weeks at a time even after break-in except in case of leaving for 1-n days or a major power problem, storm, etc...
Definitely! ;)

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
I have received my OP21A-D with external power supply and it is on day 3 in my system (dCS Vivaldi One and Vivaldi Clock). Based on what I’ve read here my expectations were quite high. Out of the box there was only marginal improvement and given that it is not an inexpensive component I had a couple of, “what did I just do(?!),” moments. Having had my patience rewarded in the past by, well, being patient and allowing a new addition some time to settle in I went to bed hoping for better things. The next day as I began to listen to music I was amazed at what I was hearing! More tonal richness across the frequency spectrum, detail, decay, and liveliness all delivered in abundance! Day 3 is yielding more results along those lines. I now am compelled to put my life on hold and listen to all my CD‘s, Qobuz and Tidal libraries. Thanks to all who have shared their experience with Cybershaft, CK, TLi, Steve Z, Mark aka SCAudiophile, and to Kenji and the staff at Cybershaft, excited and grateful am I!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Glad it is working out so well for you, Michael. No doubt about it, Kenji's OP21 reference clocks are something very special.

Steve Z

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
I can imagine how good the OP-21 must be. I am a big fan of Kenji's work. Used to own an OP-14, before upgrading to the Mutec REF10, and now to the REF10 SE120.

I'm happy where I am, but it's good to have multiple options for outstanding reference clocks!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I have received my OP21A-D with external power supply and it is on day 3 in my system (dCS Vivaldi One and Vivaldi Clock). Based on what I’ve read here my expectations were quite high. Out of the box there was only marginal improvement and given that it is not an inexpensive component I had a couple of, “what did I just do(?!),” moments. Having had my patience rewarded in the past by, well, being patient and allowing a new addition some time to settle in I went to bed hoping for better things. The next day as I began to listen to music I was amazed at what I was hearing! More tonal richness across the frequency spectrum, detail, decay, and liveliness all delivered in abundance! Day 3 is yielding more results along those lines. I now am compelled to put my life on hold and listen to all my CD‘s, Qobuz and Tidal libraries. Thanks to all who have shared their experience with Cybershaft, CK, TLi, Steve Z, Mark aka SCAudiophile, and to Kenji and the staff at Cybershaft, excited and grateful am I!

Michael, Congratulations!!!

Reactions: 2ndLiner

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Already one week I received my OP21A-1 to replace my op13. And it’s true, the difference is much more important than expected. Still better focus , faster , more details and concernin bass, lower and more articulated. All those improvement give more fluidity and much more pleasure, and I had a lot already.

I would like to thank Sc Audiophile that made me discover Cybershaft through a thread on AA, and TLI and CKKEUNG that gave à lot of information on the last cybershaft production.

Now I think , it will take a little bit Time for burning especially for external power and cable...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing