Reality is Cruel : Cybershaft new Ultimate OCXO 10M Clocks Shootout OP20 vs OP17

TLi

May 27, 2016
Clock cables make a difference. You are right to audition before buying. Nowadays, many dealers provide demo cables on loan for home audition. You can ask for it.

Reactions: drunkenspyder

drunkenspyder

Apr 6, 2020
NorCal, USA
www.hammondraffetto.art
Clock cables make a difference. You are right to audition before buying. Nowadays, many dealers provide demo cables on loan for home audition. You can ask for it.
Oh yeah, my dealer will definitely do that, but I like the idea of getting out of the house once in a while. ;)

drunkenspyder

Apr 6, 2020
NorCal, USA
www.hammondraffetto.art
Use courier service
That's not the issue, at least not for me, anyway; we don't lack for delivery options around here. I actually want to go to the dealer location and, given that I have adequate clock cables here at home for familiarization purposes, I am in no rush.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I just completed my order with Cybershaft for an OP21A to go with my Vivaldi stack. Looking forward to this.

Congratulations....I think you will enjoy what the OP21A will do for your system very much!

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
Hello, just ordered one op21 with the external psu and kryna spikes. In fact there was some new options for the op21 : option D. Cybershaft is proposing the op21 without internal psu for the ones who want to use the external one from cybershaft. Let’s see all it would improve versus my actual Paul Pang feeding the vivaldi clock and the uptone etherregen.

JaMo

Jan 17, 2020
Sweden
Hello, I was looking on mutec website about the SE-120 and found nothing. Is it an upgrade of the REF10 ? What kind of upgrade ?
The Mutec REF 10 SE-120 isn't officially released yet. It is a REF 10 with a higher spec. Oscillator -120dBc/1Hz, jitter ~15 fs/1-100Hz (std. -116dBc/1Hz, jitter 22 fs/1-100Hz). The units referred to in this thread are preproduction units. Mutec said they had plans to do an official release Q2 this year- But this was said before the Covid 19 problems. So I don't know now. When it will be released it will have a different print on the front plates. Our preproduction units looks "standard" except for a ground/earth post screw on the back and the full name REF 10 SE-120 with its serial number printed on the box and on the badge on the bottom plate of the unit.
/Jan

Reactions: Patatorz

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
Thanks a lot JaMo for the clarification : helps a lot.i understand with the covid that all the plans have been shaken. According to you between pre-production and final release units, do you think that specification could change ? Any reason why the final versions should perform better ?

JaMo

Jan 17, 2020
Sweden
Thanks a lot JaMo for the clarification : helps a lot.i understand with the covid that all the plans have been shaken. According to you between pre-production and final release units, do you think that specification could change ? Any reason why the final versions should perform better ?
No change of performance. Just looks. I have no idea of how the ordinary REF 10 performs...But my SE-120 is the best buy ever for me. I also use the Mutec MC3+USB as DDC and reclocker fed by the SE-120. Stunning performance!
/Jan

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
I purchased a Mutec Ref 10 in August 2019 via my UK dealer, Coherent Systems.

My dealer sent my Ref 10 back to Mutec three weeks ago and I received the upgraded 120SE back, a week ago. A two week turn around is very good, considering that it had to go from the UK to Germany, be fitted with a completely new board (they have modified the regulators too) containing the new, larger 120SE oscillator and was checked and tested prior to dispatch.

After a week of settling down in my system, I am pleased to report that the upgrade is well worth the effort and expenditure, in the context of a dCS Vivaldi full stack digital front end.

I have a black Ref 10 and it was returned with a certificate of upgrade from Mutec. The nomenclature on the new 120SE model has been changed and there is now a casework ground screw connection on the rear.

Attachments

• 1138FF42-6CB4-4BF2-85D5-BF11398BA2B1.jpeg
    1138FF42-6CB4-4BF2-85D5-BF11398BA2B1.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 61
  • E1518D83-E670-4D22-BB2A-61AF7EBFE089.jpeg
    E1518D83-E670-4D22-BB2A-61AF7EBFE089.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: vhs and Marck1973

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I should receive my REF10 120SE this week. I'll compare to my REF10 and get back to the group. I use three MC3+s in my reference system as well. The incremental differences with each MC3+, while diminishing, are significant. Haven't tried four (yet), but there are those that do.

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
My UK dealer charged me £1895 for the upgrade. I originally paid £2895 for my Ref 10, so it has cost me £4800 in total.

I believe that the SE-120 model new price is £4895 for UK-based customers, via Tony Sallis, at Coherent Systems.

https://coherent-systems.co.uk/mutec-ref-10-se-120

Echoing much of what XCop said, Tony dropped off my SE-120 last Saturday....noting - at a suitable social distance - that he had another 6 or so deliveries to follow.

Am still evaluating the impact...I am slow to reach definitive conclusions...preferring to mull/reflect and challenge the cognitive dissonance/bias that all too often impacts my first impressions...

Notwithstanding that caveat, so far the boost to micro detail rivals that I experienced when auditioning both the Stute Abendrodt and CH Precision T1....YMMV....

JaMo

Jan 17, 2020
Sweden
For me the REF 10 SE-120 started to really shine after about three weeks of continuous power on. I have a month now and the performance last week has been nothing short of magic.

Reactions: XCop5089

drunkenspyder

Apr 6, 2020
NorCal, USA
www.hammondraffetto.art
My OP21A arrived two days ago, well packaged and with an active Sanitization Keep Barrier Badge thoughtfully tucked inside, along with an additional gift of one in its sealed pouch [thank you, Kenji-san]. Both the clock and the power supply come with well-written detailed user manuals, and the certification report on the clock is very detailed. It took less than ten minutes to replace the standard feet with the Kryna spike isolation feet on both boxes, cap the unused outputs, connect the PSU to the clock, and to connect the OP21A to my Vivaldi Clock and 24/7 power. The Vivaldi locked on immediately. And they've been running since. Kenji-san estimates 96% OCXO performance within 2-3 days. No critical listening yet; just enjoying the music.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Reactions: vhs and JaMo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing