Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Is there a preferred email for feedback from Android users?

In the meantime:
1. Buckets are missing a lot of stuff, almost like every other bucket being dropped?
Ex:. Bucket 201-400 starts with 1969-09-24 London and ends with 1969-12-31 Boston. Bucket 401-600 starts with1971-xx-xx so all of 1970 is missing. The same on alphabetical buckets.

2. In folder mode, long path names block disc icon from displaying. Perhaps move location?
There are not so many Android Users, so I have created a WhataApp group

WhatsApp me at +33603311338 if you want to joim this group

Reactions: Cyrus and cat6man

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A great Mahler 5th...have the Esoteric Remastered of that one and really enjoy it.

I think that for complete enjoyment of this recording you need a SACD compatible digital system. Unfortunately this SACD recording commonly sells for more than a MoFi UDS1! ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have not Lloyd. I have heard many comments about them , all very positive and that Daryl is carrying the torch for Wilson Audio and his father
I am still mulling over what I heard at Absolute Sounds with Ricardo, and they are coming this week (after a long time!) to calibrate the XLFs now that the Robert Kodas are finally burned in, grounded a la Entreq, etc... Will post later.

Reactions: Steve Williams

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Anyone know what I should be doing to get unstuck from this impasse in attempting to upgrade from Roon 1.8 to 2.0?

Attachments

• IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: kyoya78

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Anyone know what I should be doing to get unstuck from this impasse in attempting to upgrade from Roon 1.8 to 2.0?
Upgrade your Extreme it is still at version 1.8. Roon > Settings > About and you should see under Core the ability to upgrade.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Upgrade your Extreme it is still at version 1.8. Roon > Settings > About and you should see under Core the ability to upgrade.
I thought I was upgrading by hitting the "upgrade" button. I guess computer audio can never be that simple... Now, I am stuck at the two windows shown -- unable to access Settings.

Should I delete the app from the iPad and do a fresh Roon download? Thanks

Reactions: John T

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Thank you Ed for taking time on Sunday to setup my Extreme! I was not expecting that kind of sound quality. It was a big difference when compared to TAS. Instruments sounded much more detailed with more punchier bass. You could literally follow each instrument being played. Wow.. didn't imagine XDMS will be this good. Thank you Taiko team and Emile for all the hard work!

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
While we wait for the next XMDS release, here is a wonderfully recorded album by Ali Akbar Khan and Zakir Hussain.
The live recording was captured by the legendary recording engineer known as Bear (Owsley Stanley).
It is available in hi-rez on qobuz.

Attachments

• 81DvAXBGHLL._SL1500_.jpg
    81DvAXBGHLL._SL1500_.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 32

Christiaan Punter

...that should be a pre-defined and user configurable space, so I can upload any image to my homepage!

OK, OK Taiko team, just kidding! I think. Happy Sunday...
There is, but that functionality is not yet operational.

Christiaan Punter

Have you actively installed the Legacy version 1.8? Or is this simply Roon calling the previous version that? If you haven't actively installed a legacy version then I suspect this issue arises when the tablet is updated prior to the server. In lieu of a proper solution, perhaps it is an idea to use a different phone or tablet that still runs 1.8 and use that to connect and update the server.

I've not encountered this issue yet but I know that many have fallen victim. What I hear from others who have encountered this issue, the solution is to delete the old app on the tablet/phone and install new ones, and restarting the server, sometimes multiple times.

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
If you cannot upgrade as @bryans suggested go into the APP Store and it should say an upgrade is waiting on you. (Extreme) this is what I had to do. I think this happens due to the sequence as to what devices you upgrade first...

Last edited:

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
It has been a while since I’ve posted in WTBF but, this time I couldn’t be silent.
Sunday, early in the morning, Edward installed XDMS Alfa 2.0 in my Extreme. The scan of my library took a good amount of time but the essential process went into a breeze and flawless.
And today, after many hours of careful listening and comparing, I can say with any doubt that, in my room, with my system and through these ears, it’s a huge step up from TAS, my previous reference. Many layers were added on the holographic image so, they are denser. As an example, the stage movements of opera singers/actors are now much easier to follow.
Like with TAS, the control point app being on an Android tablet, in my room, with my system and with these ears, the presentation gives me a slightly better sense of relaxation, a bit less in my face and also a slightly wider soundstage, compared with the iPAD app. Tablets wired connected in both cases.

So, thank you very much Edward and all the Taiko Team for such a successful work!

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
Finally, as of Sunday evening I am on the XDMS-stream (thanks @EuroDriver)!

So, XDMS Server v220908 and XDMS Client v0.0.1+2 - sonic impressions compared with TAS:
- Increased presence, i.e. more being there-feeling than I have ever experienced!
- Bass is faster, tighter
- More details present
- On some tracks I feel that upper treble is a tad higher/hotter than with TAS - on other tracks it is perfect (I think others mentioned this as well)

Simply stunning increase in SQ - and it is still early days...

Would love to see a XDMS server-update that fixes the API-issue with Qobuz so it becomes possible to stream higher resolution than 16/44.

XDMS is more responsive than TAS - time from click Play to music streaming is much shorter - great!
XDMS' UX is very stylish - it oozes quality
An issue I had with TAS was that when playing DSD256 I got a nasty noise when DAC locked onto each track - this is completely gone with XDMS.

Vertical integration is the key to success - with XDMS (and the previously released USB driver) team Taiko has full control.

I look forward to the continued journey to SQ nirvana!

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
On some tracks I feel that upper treble is a tad higher/hotter than with TAS - on other tracks it is perfect (I think others mentioned this as well)
This was the very first thing I noticed when I first got XDMS

I was talking to Edward yesterday about killing all of the bugs which will come with time. Edward and also Christiaan have recent ly asked that all bugs be reported through Test Flight rather than here on the Taiko thread as it is becoming cluttered with posts about bugs. Ed says the best way is not to post on this thread but rather report the bugs through Test Flight where they can better act on members' findings

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Have you actively installed the Legacy version 1.8? Or is this simply Roon calling the previous version that? If you haven't actively installed a legacy version then I suspect this issue arises when the tablet is updated prior to the server. In lieu of a proper solution, perhaps it is an idea to use a different phone or tablet that still runs 1.8 and use that to connect and update the server.

I've not encountered this issue yet but I know that many have fallen victim. What I hear from others who have encountered this issue, the solution is to delete the old app on the tablet/phone and install new ones, and restarting the server, sometimes multiple times.
For me, this sounds like a potentially frustrating rabbit hole excursion that I don't have the time to root around in.

I think I'll just keep using TAS and wait for the eventual XDMS beta.

It is surprising Roon posts a big Update button in front of users only to throw them into a dead in. I don't recall a warning from Roon about the proper sequence of tablet/server upgrade

John T

Feb 15, 2022
For me, this sounds like a potentially frustrating rabbit hole excursion that I don't have the time to root around in.

It is surprising Roon posts a big Update button in front of users only to throw them into a dead in. I don't recall a warning from Roon about the proper sequence of tablet/server upgrade
I kept tapping the BIG UPDATE BUTTON TOO without success until I went into the APP store saw and saw UPDATE IS WAITING. I spoke with Christiaan he also thinks it may be the sequence. That's the best guess I have, just attempting to help. I was stuck as you are (or was) but not for very long...

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017

I just hit the update button and everything on my network was updated. Clearly nothing is 100% perfect.

Reactions: John T

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I kept tapping the BIG UPDATE BUTTON TOO without success until I went into the APP store saw and saw UPDATE IS WAITING. I spoke with Christiaan he also thinks it may be the sequence. That's the best guess I have, just attempting to help. I was stuck as you are (or was) but not for very long...
I suggest reaching out to the Roon team. I would think the easiest thing to do is load 1.8 on your phone, connect to Roon on your Extreme, go into Roon > Settings > About and update the Core (Extreme) to 2.0. Or once you put 1.8 back on your phone/tablet you could just stay at 1.8.

Reactions: Christiaan Punter

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Update on Alpha slow roll out

First a shout out to Extreme Users in Australia, Hungary and Italy who have been patiently helping us debug. There has been a bug discovered in these locations which does not happen in USA or Canada.

After some intensive investigations Wilson has identified the problem and we are now testing fixes. Please understand that this is a top priority, and consequently we are only slowly adding Alpha testers.

A early Beta release is our goal, but we have to expect the unexpected

Dezy

VIP/Donor
Apr 22, 2019
I had this problem as well. Rebooting the Extreme (and hence Roon Core) fixed the problem for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing